[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Veganism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: veganism.jpg (150KB, 1500x1072px) Image search: [Google]
veganism.jpg
150KB, 1500x1072px
One of my buddies who recently was discharged from the military just became a vegan. Despite all the 'oh the poor animals' bullshit he queefs all over facebook, he does make some good points about health and wellness. And he never neglects to back up his assertions with sources. SO what does /sci/ think about veganism?
I've been doing some research myself but this kind of thing is not my forte. I'm more of a historyfag, and I can't come to any conclusions that I'm willing to trust myself on.
I wasn't sure where else to post this, and I don't think /fit/ would be much help. So, can you guys help me achieve enlightenment on the matter?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism#Health_effects
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegan_nutrition
>>
If wellness is buying all the Quinoa from South American countries. So they starve while some middle class moms have something to feel good about then I'm all for vegan wellness I guess.
>>
>>8941821
from a "muh animals" standpoint, its bupkiss. more animals are killed in harvesting machinery and by the act of planting than in slaughter houses by an order of magnitude. economically viable agriculture is intrinsically disruptive to the ecosystem.

from a health standpoint he is right-ish. western society does eat way more animal products than are necessary for proper nutrition. cutting it out of your diet will generally help you out.
>>
>>8941830
Even if animals die from harvesting machinery, they probably lived much better lives than the animals who were raised for meat
>>
File: 1494602788843 (1).jpg (55KB, 400x534px) Image search: [Google]
1494602788843 (1).jpg
55KB, 400x534px
>>8941821
Been vegan for almost 16 years.

>health side effects
None holy Christ shut the fuck up
>but muh bacon
It's a very inconvenient lifestyle, I don't recommend it
>annoying vegan fags
Terrible. The pattern I've noticed is
>someone watches earthlings or cowspiracy
>they hit facebook and talk shit to their friends
>stop eating meat for 2 months
>make annoying passive humble brags about vegan shit. "Does anyone know where I can find a vegan ______"
>after completely pissing off all their friends they go back to eating meant for HEALTH REASONS
>person now rallies against vegans saying that they were "vegan"

It's fucking annoying. Not only that people TELL ME about veganism. I hide that shit from EVERYONE in my life. It's very annoying to be associated with the fad dieters.

As for nutrition, health, morality, etc Veganism is 100% the way to go. There are an unreal amount of white papers out there arguing both sides of the debate and to be honest they are usually funded by benefiting parties.

The doc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb4pMJKtu7E

Mic the vegan is alright (links to a lot of white papers not a whole lot of BS)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJq0eQZoFSwgcqgxIE9MHw
>>
>>8941821
I'll have you know that I'm on a strict raw paleo vegan diet.
>>
>>8941862
Good to know, now gib proofs and make with the debates.
>>
File: govegansaveworld.gif (643KB, 1190x1080px) Image search: [Google]
govegansaveworld.gif
643KB, 1190x1080px
>>
The problem I've always had with veganism on a moral basis is that it assumes we should put the wellbeing of animals on the same level of importance as the wellbeing of humans. If you reject that principle, the morality of veganism falls apart completely. Now why should I accept the premise that animal suffering is bad?
>>
Veganism is okay. The way to go truly is living off the land yourself. This is the only true way to minimalize environmental footprints. Vegans often try to point out that they are moral pinnacles, but this is not likely the case when you factor in where vegan-approved foods and supplements come from. Taking into account all the transportation and manufacturing costs, vegans still have a lot of room for improvement. It's also darn expensive.

So really, just live off the land, grow your own veggies, go fishing or hunting for some meat every once in awhile, and you will bet net healthier and more moral than anybody who raves about veganism online.
>>
>>8942833
This. I usually out-virtue-signal them by going about world hunger, if they still hold that viewpoint I can just call them assholes. Animal suffering is not necessary, it's just corporations maximizing profits but meat is essential to humans.

>>8941858
>health side effects
>None holy Christ shut the fuck up

Yeah anon I really have to doubt that unless you're the Rain Man of measuring out essential proteins.
>>
>>8942833

>Why should I accept the premise that animal suffering is bad

Because animals are people.
>>
>>8942941
Eh not entirely, essential, and especially not on the scale that it is consume at the moment in the western world. Besides, it's takes a fuck load more resources to raise an animal than it does to farm crops. I contend that excessive animal agriculture is a poor practice, one of many that agriculture is plagued with for a cheap buck.
>>
>>8942833
There's no logical explanation, it's just that people almost universally find animal suffering to be disturbing and want to minimize it.

You could ask why you should care about human suffering too. And people who don't care about animal suffering are less likely to care about human suffering. You can't explain to them why they should care
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.