[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on MRIs how do they work? Do they fuck you up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: MRI-scanner.jpg (26KB, 400x272px) Image search: [Google]
MRI-scanner.jpg
26KB, 400x272px
Redpill me on MRIs how do they work? Do they fuck you up?
>>
File: MRI-HUNGRY.jpg (29KB, 400x301px) Image search: [Google]
MRI-HUNGRY.jpg
29KB, 400x301px
>>8941553
>>Do they fuck you up?
No. But the extreme magnetic field can pull in ferromagnetic objects which can fuck you up
>>
>>8941607
I assume people with shrapnel and titanium joints can't hang out around these
>>
>>8941607
>>8941618
What happens when someone with a prosthetic enters? Or has some steel in their body? Braces?
>>
>>8941620
asking the real questions here...
>>
>>8941620
They really shouldn't. Depending on how well anchored the material is, it could move their body or tear off. However, stainless steel implants and braces are not magnetic. You have to check about the material. Stainless steel or other non-magnetic metals will distort the image, though.
>>
>>8941553
> MRIs how do they work

All materials can be magnetized, however unless the material is ferromagnetic it will lose the magnetization within a few milliseconds of the external field being removed. Different materials in the body do this at slightly different rates, so by magnetizing the body then detecting the field disappearing you can construct an image.
>>
MRI rotates the spins of the lone proton on Hydrogen (which you have plenty of thanks to H20) using RF fields after a nearly uniform magnetic field polarizes a small portion of the spins to lie along some particular direction. The realignment of these spins after the RF pulse is the core of the signal needed to create the image.

The magnetic fields used are strong but not enough to cause any lasting damage to your body unless you have prosthetics or pacemakers. RF radiation is non-ionizing radiation and thus cannot cause the kind of damage necessary to break DNA strands that is the cause of radiation induced cancer as in x-ray, PET, or SPECT.
>>
>>8941620

Almost all MRI injuries are from haste or laziness on the part of the operating staff to remove all ferromagnetic materials. Embedded shrapnel can cause pain, while non-titanium implant patients can never really use it unless it is an emergency because the MRI will pull on them and heat them.

A few fatalities have been the result of oxygen tanks becoming effectively missiles. And this usually happens because its not part of the patient but they might need it for some other reason.
>>
>>8941553
They actually enslaved one of the many great African shaman and keep them in the device in order to heal the sick. You see whitey wants you to believe that his technology is amazing, but really they are using the power of African healing medicine. This is what it is meant to be woke
>>
>>8941712
Thank you. Is everyone else a lying white?
>>
>>8941718
The just only understand colonialism science and not real science
>>
>>8941620
Most modern prosthetics are fine. Titanium will not get attracted by the magnetic field, but it can cause artifacts and certain experimental sequences may cause metal to heat up.

MRI scanners are almost entirely safe, though, as long as you don't meet any of the exclusion criteria (pacemakers and insulin pumps are two of the more common ones - many electronic devices don't function correctly close to an MRI scanner). This applies to standard clinical scanners (Usually 1.5 Tesla but can go up to 3 Tesla, usually). People with prosthetics are usually not excluded since those are commonly titanium, which is not ferromagnetic.

However, at higher fields and higher gradient strengths there is some risk of nerve stimulation as well as increased heating of implants due to increased power deposition, but this generally only occurs in an experimental setting using less standard sequences.

There's a paper by Van Osch et al in Current Radiology Reports (2014) that explains some of the risks.

There are more health risks involved with CT scans, particularly if you get them regularly. You won't get cancer or pulmonary fibrosis if you get MRI scans multiple times a year, but you may if you get multiple CTs a year.
>>
>>8941553
Why is there always an MRI thread on /sci/? It isn't about how they work, it is about how they fuck you up, every time.

What is it about MRI meme posting? Is it just one person, an organization, or is it just fucking random?
>>
>>8942605
Nah most threads you're thinking of are actually about CT scans.
>>
>>8941618
Titanium is non ferrous. I have titanium plates and have enjoyed MRI experiences
>>
>>8942605
Maybe it's one of those things uninformed people are commonly afraid of, like GMOs and nuclear energy?
>>
>>8942633
But, GMOs and nuclear energy have dedicated grass roots shills.

>>8942614
Oh you are correct, my bad.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.