[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spheres

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

What makes spheres superior to other 3D geometry? Why are most object in the universe, suns, planets, moons, electrons, protons, neutrons, are all spheres? Why aren't there any 3 dimensional rhombus muon??
>>
Gravity.
>>
Gravity molds it into that shape
>>
Gravity
>>
>>8938811

>>8938815
most compact shape
>>
>>8938811
gravity spins shit
>>
>>8938811
>proton, neutron
Legit question, how come proton and neutron are spherical if they're composed of 3 quarks who are inself spherical?

Seems like spheres for subatomic particles are just representation and not really how they look like.

People think that atoms are spheres, until Rutherford proved otherwise, atoms are proton and neutron nucleus with electron orbits. Then people think proton and neutrons are spheres until the discovery of quarks
>>
>>8938811
In short because all of those things are subject to inverse squared potentials and the principle of minimal action.
>>
>>8938811
>why are they all spheres??
>not ellipsoids
>>
>>8938861
first of all, we have no goddamn clue what subatomic particles look like, they are completely invisible to the best microscopes in existence, the smallest thing we can "see" is individual atoms and electrons don't orbit by the way
>>
>>8938811
A perfect sphere has uncountably many symmetries.
>>
>>8938861
They are closer to dimond shapes (although not quite) aren't they? Because they "bleed" into each other.
>>
>>8939189
so does a cone.
>>
File: tspacexform.gif (108KB, 540x200px) Image search: [Google]
tspacexform.gif
108KB, 540x200px
what if I tell you that there every sphere is perfect and there are no perfect spheres in reality?

what if I tell you that in reality every sphere is a toroid?

why you ask? because it is the only way to map a sphere in two dimensions
>>
It's just a consequence due to the Isotropy of space. If there is no preferred direction in space then gravity will act the same in all directions. Imagine this: you have an amorphous chunk of clay, then you have a way to push inwards every point in the clay surface at the same time with the same force, what figure you will get? now imagine the same, but this time you can push a little harder at the top and the bottom, this is the "same" situation if there was a preferred direction in space, lets say "z" if we put some set of coordinates. if in our universe the z direction were the preferred direction every planet, stars and your mom would be this egg shaped monsters.
>>
>>8938811
There are no perfect spheres in nature.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.