[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Repeat after me: STEM. Is a. Meme.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 252
Thread images: 25

File: serveimage(5).jpg (105KB, 960x711px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(5).jpg
105KB, 960x711px
Repeat after me:

STEM.
Is a.
Meme.
>>
>>8936365
This diagram is stupidly broad.
>>
>11.4 million STEM degree holders who work

ok wheres the meme
>>
>>8936415
The meme is that as they are working at a job that has nothing to do with their degree they should have just been able to get that job out of highschool.

They cant though because the military-industrial-academia complex is trying to scam everyone out of their money.
>>
>>8936429
>been able to get that job out of highschool

then why are many non-STEM degree holders finding it hard to get a job?
>>
>>8936429
Right, but this is the fault of pure departments and retards on this board who think they'll get STEM jobs with just a math, chemistry or physics degree etc

Professional STEM degree students like engineering have been telling you retards you're doing an easy mode background degree for generations.
>>
>>8936436
>then why are many non-STEM degree holders finding it hard to get a job?
The STEM meme propagates. Someone who fell for the meme gets a job, becomes part of the hiring committee, and hires more STEM to self-validate his own degree.
>>
>>8936440
>STEM jobs

i just thought a stem degree was more employable in general 2bh
>>
>>8936440
Have you seen the projected job growth over the next 20 years? It's pathetic, you almost certainly aren't going to work in the engineering field.
>>
>>8936365
I never got this meme.
In my country, stem is a very profitable field to work in
Engineers starts at roughly 2.5k to 4k /months depending on the school they graduated from (national median income is at 1.7)
They also have one of the highest employment rate upon graduation.
>>
>>8936365
Here you make 3-6 x the average income straight out of school with a stem degree.
>>
US culture is fucked.

The most useless people (management) get all the glory, while everybody else (the people who do the actual work) is treated like a replaceable cog. Your degree is proof of obedience rather than a measure of what you know.
>>
>>8936365
>no source
>non-American way of writing large numbers
K.
>>
https://newrepublic.com/article/114608/stem-funding-dwarfs-humanities-only-one-crisis

source for people who cant reverse image search
>>
>>8936365
For the last fucking time, every person with a bullshit associates in IT is not STEM
>>
File: 1493374421990.gif (346KB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
1493374421990.gif
346KB, 250x200px
>>8936436

>then why are many non-STEM degree holders finding it hard to get a job?

Because the U.S. is retarded, I'm dead serious with this. And no, I'm not talking about IQ here, I'm literally saying that the bulk of the country and it's leaders are retarded.

They could easily alleviate their employment/college/ debt woes by not allowing skills like programming and nursing to be locked behind premium pay walls. If programming and nursing were taught at the high school level you wouldn't be in this bullshit your in right now.

Conservatives wouldn't bitch and be desperate enough to accept people like Trump. Liberals wouldn't be so bullish about throwing money at shit like universal health care and welfare.

What the fuck is wrong with you people?
>>
>>8936474
Massive exaggeration. Getting an engineering job isn't as hard as you think.
>>
>>8936365
What kind of STEM degree can you have that is not a bachelor's, master's or PhD?
>>
>>8936607
Don't misrepresent my community college degree in air conditioning repair.
>>
>>8936700
>got an online associates degree in principles of science
>300k starting
>>
>>8936365
S-s-stemu i-isu a meme-u

>.<"
>>
>university requires an iq of 100
>a successful stem career requires an iq of 140
>>
>>8936642
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/home.htm
>Employment of architecture and engineering occupations is projected to grow 3 percent from 2014 to 2024, adding about 67,200 new jobs.
>adding about 67,200 new jobs.
>67,200 new jobs over 10 years

Thats ~6,720 new jobs a year. There's more than that graduating this year. Either start literally sucking dick to get to the top of the class or start anticipating alternative employment. I'm just trying to be real with you anon, the job market is rough as fuck right now, for everyone.
>>
>>8936365
What's your suggestion? More feminist eskimo dance therapy majors? Technical degrees?
>>
>>8936642
>source: that CEO on TV talking about a STEM shortage
Here's a hint: there's only a "shortage" at the below-median wages that they are willing to pay. Schoolteachers make more than engineers.
>>
>>8936429
>could've gotten without a degree
That's not implied by the image at all. Maybe they'd have let you get a stem degee if you weren't so retarded.
>>
>>8936628
>Liberals wouldn't be so bullish about throwing money at shit like universal health care and welfare
maybe not "as bullish" but still pretty bullish
going from the healthcare system we have now to universal healthcare would save lives, and save money
it's a no brainer
>>
>>8937048
I never said there was a stem shortage, I just don't think it's impossible to get a job in it.
>>
>>8937057
we need ethnostates
>>
>>8937068
You don't think, but have you tried? Until you have like the rest of us you're just talking out of your ass.
>>
>>8937076
As an undergrad I have successfully gotten co op employment, but I'm not a good measure because I go to a top 20 uni. Didn't seem too difficult for any of my friends from lower unis though. Sounds like you're just angry because you personally can't find a job.
>>
>>8937076
Too fuckin true :-(
>>
>>8937079
I got a job, so fuck everyone else.

Dick.
>>
I got a steady client on my first day looking for programming work online.
>>
>>8937079
That's another thing: there are way more internship and co-op openings than there are entry level positions because they don't want to pay for real engineers. Check any engineering job site and you'll see what I mean.
>>
>>8936365
>psych degree (notevenstem)
>2.5gpa
>no internships
>no recs
>job in lab
>literally first job
>just shy of 50k salary

Either I'm lucky or too content, or the average stem grad is even more pathetic than I
>>
>>8937082
>>YOU CANT GET A JOB CUZ I CANT
>I did
>>YOU DICK!
i'd kill myself desu
>>
>>8937092
>>psych degree (notevenstem)
I think that's the point of this thread. /sci/ is full of memelords who believe that by working themselves to death for an insanely difficult major they will somehow not have horrible job prospects when they graduate, when in reality everyone is following the exact same strategy so there's too much competition for these difficult careers.
>>
>>8937109
The second reason people go for STEM is because if you get a job, the pay is really good
so this compounds the problem; now you get tons of people who don't have any direction in their lives getting STEM degrees just because they pay the best
>>
File: 1493369954112.jpg (48KB, 492x449px) Image search: [Google]
1493369954112.jpg
48KB, 492x449px
>planning to go into aerospace to start up the first bits of space mining
>will probably never succeed because no jobs
>space mining and engineering will probably never happen because force feeding high explosives to perpetually angry sand people is more entertaining for world governments
>>
>>8937179
>literal high schooler enters the thread
>>
>>8937098
>I got a job without much effort, so everyone can

Probably work for your dad ya cunt
>>
>>8936365
There is always jobs for good people
>>
>>8937076
amen
>>
>>8936365
11.4 Million engineers sucking dick for a living.
>>
>>8936365
Those are basically people who majored in stupid impractical stem fields. Anyone who majors in the core engineering fields, meche, ee, and cive, should be fine.
>>
>>8937179
>planning to go into aerospace
Stopped reading right here. You're retarded. Go into mech E.
>>
>>8937253
>should
Again, based on what? Do you currently have a job in engineering?
>>
https://campus-to-career.com/2010/10/05/co-op-vs-internship-what%E2%80%99s-the-difference/

>NOTE: Not all employers use these terms separately. Some may see an internship or co-op as interchangeable language. Make sure you ask what program they’re referring to when you talk to recruiters!

So ... work for us ... for an amount preferably less than the actual wage the engineer would get, to receive "training" and "work experience" (& "exposure" if you are of a Designer-ish profession).
>>
File: 1486437621923.png (34KB, 598x615px) Image search: [Google]
1486437621923.png
34KB, 598x615px
>>8937257
>mech eng.
/sci/ has the dankest shitposts
>>
>>8937307
What did he mean by this? Did all of these unemployed fags actually go through uni with no experience and expect to get a job?
>>
>>8937319
>mech e is a meme
>but aerospace (advanced mcjob training) isn't
>>
>>8937324
>he
Who? Me?

I'm insinuating they are skimping on the quality of promised training.

How did they manage in olden times hiring people and training them on the job, giving raises based on performance.
>>
>>8937329

>3% of total workforce in America are engineers
>anything engineering being mcjob or meme
>>
>>8936365
the industry needs highly capable, intelligent, skillful engineers & scientists. the response from the education business has been to piggy back on this demman, hide the high quality bar to work at place like IBM, Caterpillar, Rockwell, etc... , dumb down the curricula, and just churno out half baked people hoping at least a few of them nab some jobs
if you studied a STEM major and are currently jobless is because you were too stupid to be a real engineer/scientist and just got a joke degree
>>
>>8937348
Do you currently have a job in industry? Degree/ university/ salary/ job title/ how you got the job?

Otherwise you're just another college freshman memelord.
>>
>>8937371
i am an associate professor / guest researcher in a Californian uni
got the job because my thesis advisor had friends here and aided me network with them during a conference a year ago
>>
OP is trying to make excuses for failure ahead of time. If you get an engineering degree from any decent state uni and get over a 3.0 with one internship, you are now in the middle class (assuming you aren't a total aspie who people can't stand to be around)

if you go for the masters or phd then you can get a better job more specialized to your interests

the recruiters are like vulchers on college campuses man
>>
>>8937485
>vulchers
See you at the unemployment office
>>
>>8937371
Not OP but worked in SJ for the past decade at a couple of tech multinationals. It's true, most of the comp sci guys that get churned out are fucking brain dead. There's two main groups of people that are needed, maintenance guys who can copy paste code under supervision and then research guys who can architect and put shit together. The former can be filled with monkeys from India, the latter is mostly homegrown talent. Unfortunately tech is a meme now and most native graduates are no better than imports.
>>
>>8937498
Are you just shitposting or you actually believe this? Everyone I know in my program (both grad and undergrad) has gotten a good job, except maybe a couple who dropped out
>>
>>8937521
That's a tall order for someone who can't spell. :^)

More seriously, I've had the exact opposite experience. Only a few of the female students found jobs, and that was likely because of gender quotas. It's a pretty bleak employment situation, but it could be a regional thing too.
>>
>>8936365
OP.
Is a.
Faggot.
>>
>>8937533
Where did you go to school? It must have been somewhere pretty bad. Maybe not bad overall, but bad for your major at least
>>
>>8937533
Why do you go to a shit tier uni?
>>
>>8937547
Washington State University.

It's pretty respectable. I also did a shitton of extracurricular engineering projects, one of which we beat some ivy-leaguers and took second place, as well as undergraduate research.
>>
>>8937554
I dunno man you should probably be able to get a job. What was your major? I'd be interested to see your resume. I'm guessing you have some sort of glaring red flag, terrible personality, or haven't tried that hard
>>
>>8937563
And for all the other people in my graduating class, as well as friends at neighboring universities who also have no job prospects? Clearly every engineering student in the state of Washington must have some sort of personal fault.

Except no, that's retarded.
>>
>>8937566
All I can tell you is that I have spent significant time in ECE departments at 3 different state unis, each in a different part of the country, and jobs were pretty plentiful. Maybe I only encountered the better students because I worked with better professors. But there are certainly a shitload of engineers and scientists working in Washington, especially the Seattle area. You are just running in the wrong circles. Try to get connections with more successful people and ask them to recommend you. Most people are hired thru networking, not applying cold. Also, lose your shitty attitude, they will smell it on you and it's repellent. Act like you belong there
>>
>>8937577
The job market changed in the last couple years. It very well may have been good in the past, but it is not currently. Boeing and all of their suppliers are agressively cutting their engineering workforce with layoffs.
>>
>>8937583
Maybe so, but it doesn't matter. You still have to go and look for a job. Be thankful that you are a college educated American. It could be much worse. You trying to work in the Aerospace industry?
>>
>>8937583
I can tell you if you're going specifically for aerospace jobs it's going to be harder than any other engineering discipline to find jobs.
>>
>>8937577
So a bad labor market is just "running in the wrong circles"?

Does 4Chan need to put IQ tests in their captchas now?
>>
Location, connections, and letters of recommendation along with research is how you get the job.
>>
>>8937653
Remember how I said lose the shitty attitude?

Anyway, yes, if you network with successful people it will lead to jobs. I don't know how that is surprising to you
>>
File: 1492622723110.gif (2MB, 397x169px) Image search: [Google]
1492622723110.gif
2MB, 397x169px
>>8937689
>there are only two people in this thread
This is a systemic problem you retard.
>>
>>8937075
woah there buddy
>>
>>8937691
I tried to be nice and give you advice, but you're such an aspie all you want to do is complain. You are clearly the retard for being unsuccessful and you clearly never will be based on your attitude.

>muh systemic problems
the only person to blame is you
>>
>>8937709
>he still doesn't get it
You're arguing with 5+ people, not one.
>>
>>8936365
OR
maybe, just maybe, american universities can't produce engineers worth a shit
>>
>>8936474
My engineering department at UT Austin has had a 100% job placement rate into the engineering field upon graduation for like 5 years in a row now or something. Seems to be going pretty well as long as you go to a decent school and don't live in the middle of fucking nowhere.
>>
>>8937480
>associate professor

Hahahhahahhahahabbabvavgahajgjgjshsgzbbdhdh
>>
>>8937485
>If you get an engineering degree from any decent state uni and get over a 3.0 with one internship, you are now in the middle class

Are you currently working as an engineer, or just regurgitating the lies you've been told?
>>
>>8937533
>More seriously, I've had the exact opposite experience. Only a few of the female students found jobs, and that was likely because of gender quotas. It's a pretty bleak employment situation, but it could be a regional thing too.

I've had pretty much the same experience. About half my graduating class got jobs and the other half is still doing menial shit. If you aren't some kind of affirmative action hire, or have parents working in the field, it's a up hill fucking battle.

I moved to a different region, but it's not much better here.

And all these freshmen shits on here are going to eat thier fucking words when the finally graduate. Because the ratio of graduates to jobs is only going to get worse.

Feels badman.
>>
>>8937549
We don't all have rich parents you entitled cunt.
>>
>>8937835
>he thinks he'll find a job doing menial shit

You're in for a rude awakening, bud.
>>
>>8937577
>Try to get connections with more successful people

How. How did you get these connections with more successful people?
>>
>>8937689
It sounds like you were born into connections and you're shitting on everyone who wasn't.
>>
>>8937838
I have a job doing menial shit...

Thanks for being an asshole though.
>>
>>8937840
Be around successful people and be cool?
>>
>>8937783
Proofs?
>>
Even if you have to do a job outside engineering what's wrong with that? You should still be able to get a decent office job and maybe break into engineering later in your career.
>>
>>8937848
Where did you go to be around successful people?
>>
>>8937863
conferences and such
>>
>>8937862
Yeah, just do telemarketing for a few years
something in your field will certainly open up for you eventually!
>>
>>8937871
You sound extremely bitter. Tell me your story.
>>
>>8937862
>You should still be able to get a decent office job
No. That's why I went to school on the first place, remember? To not become a janitor

>and maybe break into engineering later in your career.
Lol, fuck no.
>>
>>8937877
>office job
>janitor

Kill yourself
>>
>>8937880
>thinking you can get a cushy office job with essentially just a high school diploma after nobody wanted your engineering degree
Unless you've done it yourself, stfu.
>>
>>8937874
nah, that just sounds like a terrible idea to me
I'm a self employed software developer
>>
>>8937892
I don't believe you anymore.
>>
>>8937874
Not that Anon, but I'm probably just as bitter.

Spend 5 years getting a degree in engineering. While in school apply for every internship I could possibly get. Don't get a single one. They all go to affirmative action students.
>That's okay, I'll just have to start a little lower on the ladder once I graduate.

Finally graduate. 3.5 GPA Not the best, but definitely top 10% of my class.

Apply to every job remotely related to my field. Spend hours searching for jobs, filling out applications, and writing a custom cover letter that specifically addresses each job posting. Somewhere around 200 applications. Get one phone interview, and one in person interview at two different places. No job. One was for an internship doing permitting stuff, and the other was a county job as a water inspector. Not glamorous, but at least they were in my field.

>This area is obviously saturated, try moving across the country back to my home town.

Apply to 40+ different places. Anything remotely related to my field. Not even a call back. I can't even get an entry level no-degree-required position.

I've been out of school for 2 years now. I'm realizing I wasted tens of thousands of dollars and 5 years of my life. I work in a warehouse with people who didn't even graduate highschool.
>Get called a loser on a Tibetan stone chiselling forum

I want to get off Mr bones wild ride.

Did you enjoy my story?
>>
>>8937902
I did. And I'm incredibly sorry.
>>
>>8937902

What field of engineering are you in?
>>
>>8937902
>Did you enjoy my story?
Yes, I did
I've heard similar stories from my comp sci friends and so I've been too afraid to even apply
>>
>>8937907
Hey thanks.
>>8937927
Environmental
>>8937930
If you know someone who can get you a job, or if your parents are going to pay for your school I'd recommend going for it.

Just don't bury yourself in debt on a bunch of promises that it'll pay off.
>>
>>8936487

It's like that in USA too for engineers.

The thing is they include biology, psychology, etc in "STEM" as well.
>>
>>8936365
Country?
Source?
Actual data?
Specifics?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170526-223155.png (315KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170526-223155.png
315KB, 1080x1920px
>>8937853
This is all I could find online right now, it's a graphic that covers all engineering disciplines at UT Austin. I'm in Architectural Engineering which is kind of an emerging discipline so I guess it's easier for us to find jobs right now. Overall this graphic is still pretty decent though.
>>
So which are the best STEM majors for employment then?

Mechanical engineering? Computer science? Statistics?
>>
>>8938002
Civil engineering is pretty good because it is extremely difficult if not impossible to automate, as every project is essentially its own prototype.
>>
>>8937978
But that doesn't show that they're employed in engineering, just that they were employed after using the career assistance center. If your school is anything like mine, then it'll be fielding jobs from all manner of numerate professions.
>>
>>8938014
Ah, good point. In that case I'm unable to give any kind of legit proof for my claim. I can't even be sure myself, it's just what I have been told by the people in charge of the department.
>>
File: mass effect.jpg (28KB, 529x403px) Image search: [Google]
mass effect.jpg
28KB, 529x403px
>>8938017
>just what I have been told by the people in charge of the department.

Yeah, they'd never lie to you
>>
File: lain_wilting.jpg (44KB, 251x231px) Image search: [Google]
lain_wilting.jpg
44KB, 251x231px
>>8936700
Some programs offered at a local community college:
>air conditioning technology
>automotive refinishing
>catering specialist
>commercial truck driving
>data entry clerk
>eligibility determination specialist
>hair designer
>help desk specialist
>lawn maintenance specialist
>microsoft excel applications
>nail technician
>prep cook
>shampoo technician
>tractor maintenance and repair

I mean, I get that these are marketable skills, but people going to college specifically to achieve these things at the end just makes me feel... sad.
>>
>>8938048

can we just have a moment of silence for the shampoo technician
>>
>>8938040
holy shit just commit suicide. It's obviously the only option your pathetic ass has left.
>>
>>8936440
what difference does it make if I'm uninterested in working as an engineer? If I become I'm an engineer, I'll definitely not become a mathematician whereas in math, the chances are at least above 0%.
>>
>>8938069
why are you so angry anon?
>>
>>8938048
Hey man, the people going into these programs just wanna get by. Leave them be. I'm working at a dollar store this summer and the people there are legitimately happy with their jobs.
>>
File: 1466734450398.png (2MB, 1520x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1466734450398.png
2MB, 1520x1080px
>>8938080
It just fucks with me that they went to college for these things. My sisters and I were plenty qualified as prep cooks by the age of 15, air conditioning technology was just a footnote in thermodynamics, and data entry is just a base expectation in the colleges I've been to. I could've done over half of these things, even concurrently in the same working position, by the time I finished high school, and the other half, I could've learned in a weekend on Wikipedia.

It gives me the message that it's not that people don't want to learn, because the existence of these programs says that they do. Rather than having problems with learning, it seems that these people have problems with thinking. I understand that the whole sheeple meme is for edgelords, but it bothers me that these people do genuinely exist, and in numbers.
>>
>>8937184
>>8937257

actually you all are the problem.
>>
>>8938103
Get off your high-horse faggot. I bet you've never even held a wrench, but you'll look down your nose at someone who actually works for a living.
>>
>>8937945
>Environmental
Nigga you had it coming. Too late for you, but for any young people ITT: stay the fuck away from meme fields like environmental and biomedical. They are driven by undergrad demand, not job market demand. Research employment prospects and starting salaries before committing to a degree program. With some niche exceptions (matsci and mining do okay) the bigger the program/field, the better your opportunities will be.
>>
>>8936365
I learned this the hard way. I received a bachelor of science in Electrical Engineering in My 2016. I am currently unemployed and not one interview. Cum laude from a state uni in SoCal.
>>
File: 1466792601637.jpg (216KB, 881x750px) Image search: [Google]
1466792601637.jpg
216KB, 881x750px
>>8938122
I don't say it out of disrespect. In fact, I say it because I believe that these people should respect their own mental faculties enough to teach themselves. Those kinds of programs don't speak to a lack of knowledge as much as they speak to a lack of confidence in their own thoughts and learning capabilities.

And for the ad hominem, you'll certainly receive training and guidance on decent tooling & measuring devices like mills, lathes, soldering irons, thread taps, hand saws & clamps, multimeters, thermocouples, force transducers, LDVs, circular saws, hand drills, and yes, even wrenches, by sophomore year at any good engineering college. You'd know that if you'd been to one.
>>
>>8938141
No you didn't
>>
>>8937833
the former
>>8937840
internships and doing research for professors
>>8937843
my parents had working class jobs and no education past high school. i figured shit out for myself
>>
>>8938148
>I say it because I believe that these people should respect their own mental faculties enough to teach themselves.
Most people are stupid and (intellectually) lazy. Don't let the butthurt tradie get to you.
>>
>>8938148
Maybe in mechE but for most engineers, no you will not use most of those tools
>>
File: memeDegree.png (3MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
memeDegree.png
3MB, 2048x1536px
>>8938153
Here you go. Second time i have taken it out of its 'Do not fold' envelope. Blocking my name probably wasn't necessary i don't plan on sticking around much longer.
>>
File: 1469500963613.png (34KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1469500963613.png
34KB, 633x758px
>>8938196
Just realized i wrote the wrong number
>>
File: 1347920856032.gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1347920856032.gif
2MB, 400x300px
>>8938136
I should have gone EE right?
like this anon >>8938196

Stupid undergrad faggot. You'll probably wash out before junior year.
>>
>>8938141
>>8938196
As my own job search goes on, I'm broadening my scope. I figure that if I can't find a directly relevant engineering job, I'll settle for something like a quality rep and use that as relevant work experience for my future job as an engineer, possibly with the company that hires me onto that lower rung. If your job application is genuinely weak, upward mobility is your friend. What's your resume look like?
>>
File: hurr durr environmental.png (9KB, 463x287px) Image search: [Google]
hurr durr environmental.png
9KB, 463x287px
>>8938136
>Research employment prospects and starting salaries before committing to a degree program.

Also, fuck you for assuming I didn't.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/environmental-engineers.htm
>>
>>8938210
I'm a PhD student lel.

There are schools where EE students get good jobs; I guess CSU Wherever isn't one of them. In general I suspect the Midwest is better for engineering jobs than Cali, apart from aerospace and software stuff.

But seriously, environmental? Did your parents/guidance counselor/advisor tell you to follow your dreams or something?
>>
>>8938218
>increase of 12%
Maybe there's hope for you yet anon, just wait a few more years lol.

As a further point, any degree that has an appeal to the average person beyond making money will have reduced job prospects and pay. This is true for aero as well as biomed and environmental.
>>
File: 1472029085521.gif (711KB, 200x331px) Image search: [Google]
1472029085521.gif
711KB, 200x331px
>>8938211
Seems like a reasonable plan but i am done. I have recently quit my wagecuck job, i have been alienating my only 2 friends, i am have been slowly throwing out my possessions, and i chucked my good phone as far as i could muster.

No going back now. It's probably like ripping a bandaid, the faster the better
>>
File: this is nice board17.jpg (55KB, 393x500px) Image search: [Google]
this is nice board17.jpg
55KB, 393x500px
>>8938248
Do you smoke weed? It really helps me out when I'm feeling suicidal. Sort of breaks my mental cycle and lets me enjoy the little things in life. Might give it a try before you take that final leap. Shits not even illegal in Cali anymore, so not much to worry about there.

I'm the environmental fag, so I know a bit about what you're going through. Just remember that there's more to life than how much money you make, or your job title.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do.
>>
>>8937832
>How does tenure track work?
Are you confused about the difference between adjunct, assistant and associate?
>>
this threads depressing.
>>
>>8938010
>Civil engineering is pretty good because it is extremely difficult if not impossible to automate, as every project is essentially its own prototype.
I like that thought.

Thinking of the city infrastructure that supports the buildings function, traffic and public transport as a giant custom-built machine.
>>
>>8938314
I'm close to hiding it. It's bad for my mental state and it's /r9k/ tier.
>>
>>8938103
A good education system would handle those needs with trade-schools and apprenticeships and be done with it.

Look to Germany.
>>
Can we list reasons why people get fucked that stem from external factors without deflecting responsibility?
>>
>>8936700
That is actually profitable af anon
>>
>>8938387
More immigration means more jobs for civies. The infrastructure in place in the West is shit so there is gonna be growth. Also if you are a globalist and give a rats ass about living in your own nation, you can just move to emerging nations like Asia and the Middle East to work,
>>
>>8938314
It actually isn't. STEM degree holders are still ahead of non-STEM degree holders for non-STEM jobs. We are just viewed as smarter because of the math and science we deal with. Smarter people are viewed as more responsible and hard working.
>>
>>8937715
>/sci/ still has no ID's.
Goodness, you guys sure could learn something from the Grand Old /pol/.
>>
>>8938196
Long Beach isn't any good anyways.
>>
Hey /sci/ bros, I am planning on getting my PhD in Pure Math in a few years. Do I have a good chance of getting an academic job from this degree? I am finishing up my master's at UCLA this year, so I still have time to organize.
>>
>>8938871
pretty sure it's the only CSU with a half-decent engineering department, next to SJSU
>>
>>8938196
>tfw transferring to a California State or UCR/UCSC for EE
f-fuck
Maybe I should have applied to other UCs.
>>
>>8936429
Ok academia-ché how does one break the cycle. And how do you validate a candidate for a job in a way that is as rigorous and fast as having a degree from an accredited university?

I'm not saying your wrong. But propose another way
>>
>>8938947
I'm a senior at CSULB, aerospace engineering. I don't even know if our program is good, I dont have anything to base it against. We have good teachers and bad teachers, like any other program
>>
>>8937092
Been trying to explain to my friend who weighs others by their salary. I have always had enough money and will always have enough money to be content.
>>
>>8937945
>environmental

Current chem e senior graduating in spring. Really had me spooked until I read that. You should write horror novels
>>
>>8938969
>tfw my ChemEng department is titled:
>Chemical and Environmental Engineering

is it time to switch to MechE or EE? Even the EE department is "Electrical and Computer Engineering"

fucking end it
>>
>>8938976
What university is this? In my 130 credits i have done nothing that could directly cross over into environmental
>>
>>8938976
all electrical engineering crosses over into computer engineering
that's every university
>>
>>8938989
UCR

Almost done with 2nd year and I'm considering a transfer. The program has treated me well so far and I got research done during my 2nd quarter of year 1, along with a summer internship, but the name "Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering" kind of scares me
>>
>>8938976
>Even the EE department is "Electrical and Computer Engineering"
That's fine. Even CE stand alone is a decent major. Hell I go to an elite university and the EE department is titled as such.
>>
>>8936365
>11.4 Million working in non STEM
Ok so they are employed and therefore largely irrelevant to those filling those openings, as even if they leave their job they don't net take up an opening as they create one when they leave.

Ignore the associates because they are either unemployable in STEM or are going for further college (so this leaves 402,000)

Ok before you read this next part, yes I realize the census has social sciences and psych as STEM, I did not realize until after I typed whats below, the general idea still stands, although the numbers reveal that there isn't enough room for H-1B people.

Using https://www.census.gov/dataviz/visualizations/stem/stem-html/ you can see that besides engineering and CS STEM grads largely don't go into STEM/they go to grad school (because they are mostly unemployable in STEM without grad school) so cut off ~60% of the 252k Bachelors (151,200)
402k-151.2k=250.8k for the openings, which is enough room for people in that 60% as well as some transfers for the 11.4 million to get into STEM

there isn't a glut right now except in certain fields like biology. We are fine for now but we really need to slow down/stay at our current level. STEM degrees are still the best as even if you don't work in STEM other things will love you as shown by the https://www.census.gov/dataviz/visualizations/stem/stem-html/
>>
>>8939085
Are you in school or do you currently have a job relevant to your degree?
>>
>>8939133
Not him, but fuck off.
>>
>>8939138
I'm curious and it's a valid question. So far the unemployedposters outnumber the employedposters. Even if it was 1:1, that's still 50% unemployment which is terrifying.
>>
>>8939138
so jobless?
>>
>>8939142
Don't care. I don't like you buddy.
>>
File: 1492369152434.png (48KB, 924x560px) Image search: [Google]
1492369152434.png
48KB, 924x560px
>>8939150
>>
>>8939169
Whatever bud. I'm tired of your negativity. I'll take the numbers and hard facts the other anon posted over your feelings any day.
>>
>>8939142
but you're sampling 4chan losers, what do you expect?
>>
H-hey g-guys. CS major here.

I'll find a job with my m-major r-right guys? Even with a low 3.0 r-right? Please, I don't want to be unemployed...
>>
>>8939174
>but you're sampling 4chan losers, what do you expect
Then what makes any other poster here exempt from that statistic? Even if it were contained to this website, that would still greatly increase your risk of unemployment by even being on this website.

>inb4 I'm special
>>
>>8939182
It doesn't show that stem is a meme though, it just proves we're losers
>>
>>8939176
I would never hire a CS major for anything, even with a 4.0
>>
>>8939190
Then at the very least it proves that STEM is a meme in the context of /sci/. However other posters have indicated that the problem may be more widespread, in that most of their graduating class was unable to find work.
>>
>>8939174
This.

the STEM posters here are fucking turbo shitters.

i got an 80k a year job fresh out of college by drunkenly spamming my resume on Indeed one night. had a crap ton of gubmint job offers too but the pay was garbo.

3.0 GPA and ONE (1) measly internship with some mom n pop machine shop. you fags need to git gud.
>>
>>8939176
I'm a CS major and my current job is the first job I applied to. I also worked when I was a CS minor, and back then I applied three places and was offered two of the jobs.
>>
>>8939206
>i got an 80k a year job fresh out of college by drunkenly spamming my resume on Indeed one night
How long ago was this?
>>
File: 1493682943992.jpg (299KB, 1500x1281px) Image search: [Google]
1493682943992.jpg
299KB, 1500x1281px
>mfw mathematics degree
>>
>>8939215
Lel, if the engineers in this thread are having trouble then I can't imagine what it's going to be like for you.
>>
>>8939211
i just graduated this month. had my offer paperwork done before i walked.
>>
>>8939219
What region?
>>
>>8939221
where my job is? the PNW
>>
>>8938196
I know a couple who graduated in comp engineering from long Beach and both of them have good jobs
>>
The anecdotes you autistic faggots mean nothing. Engineering majors generally have an unemployment rate below 5% FACT!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/25-college-majors-with-lowest-unemployment-rates/

If you're unemployed you're in the minority.

>inb4 there is a government conspiracy to fudge the census numbers to cause STEM major oversaturation
>>
>>8938230
>>8938969
>>8938976
>>8939002
I had 3 job offers before I graduated from enviro engg, I found the job market pretty good. I did go to a great school for it and did 3 internships however
>>
File: 1495896668236.jpg (102KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
1495896668236.jpg
102KB, 750x500px
>>8936365
>PhD in Memetics
>300k shitposts
>any meme i want

>Richard Dawkins
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memetics
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memetic_engineering
>>
>>8939218
Hey, don't be so sure.
If things go south it'll be easy to sell out to big business.
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/math/mobile/home.htm
>>
If you're STEM and unemployed you're likely not taking enough shots or you have some sort of huge character flaw that is immediately showing in your interviews
>>
>>8939243
Just to add to this among recent grad all engineers have an unemployment rate of about 7.4% and a median wage of about $54k. Either there are a lot of liars in this thread or a lot of losers.

https://cew.georgetown.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/HardTimes.2013.2.pdf
>>
>>8939263
>If you're STEM and unemployed you're likely not taking enough shots

holy fuck this.

a friend of mine was bitching about not being able to get a job after putting out like 20 applications like that was a lot.
>>
i'm majoring in physics -- will i be ok boys?
>>
Has it always been this hard to get a job or did the previous generations basically fuck us over?
>>
>>8939291
Probably not (getting a job in your field)?

I have no idea.
>>
>>8939292
no.

here's whats going on with the people who claim they can't get a job with a STEM degree

>they aren't willing to move away from mommy/daddy
>limit their searches to only a handful of locations
>went to a BK randy state school
>had no internships
>put out less than 100 applications and thought that was "a lot"
>are dead set on some "dream job" not realizing that their first 2-3 years out of school is spent paying dues
>are unwilling to take a job not directly related to their field

if you got that piece of paper, you can get a job. just maybe not the job you want. thats the rub.
>>
>>8939291
I don't know buddy, will you go to grad school?
>>
>>8936365

>repeat after me

Get out /pol/ kiddie
>>
>>8936429
>able to get that job out of highschool.
Opinion.
>>
>>8938048
HVAC, hair stylist , truck and trailer, tractor, cooking are all In demand trades
>
>>
>>8936365
>Work in NDT
>go to a company
>40 welders
>30 general workers (grinding, cutting, repairs etc)
>8 managers
>2 safety people
>1 engineer
This is every plant or site I go to.
>>
>>8939703
most engineering is concentrated into dedicated firms. its not surprising to have only one or two resident engineers for a plant.
>>
>>8939713
I'm talking about plants like GE or Halliburton sites or Oceaneering etc. Shit I was at a subsea robot test facility last week, they just get engineers on consultation.
>>
>>8939718
i'm sure there are more engineers up at the corporate level that you aren't seeing, but yeah most engineering work is farmed out.
>>
>>8939176

Did you do any internships? If so, you'll be totally fine.

If not, why the fuck didn't you do internships?
>>
>>8939273

20 seems like a lot to me... I've only applied to 4 places in my professional life (and not all at the same time, they were at 3 different time periods) and got offers at all of them. Although I'm in software, so that's probably why.
>>
>>8939142
What I was saying in that post is basically there is enough jobs for everyone except the H1-B shitters. You won't get a job handed to you by applying to a small number of places but if you have internships and aren't in a field that gets bombed with H1-B shitters then you will most likely get a job.

An issue with stats like this are that:
1. There is a disproportionate amount of life science and math grads compared to the actual math and life science jobs. Math is fine because they have other options.

2. A lot of these STEM grads come from degree mills with no internships
>>
>this thread

does this mean since job prospects are shit most of the time I should go into what I want to do now vs doing what I hate doing now (CS) because I thought it would get me a job ?
>>
>>8940392

It depends on what you want to do. Job prospects wise CS is hard to top unless you want to go into something medical/ health care related.
>>
Master’s in biochemistry form shitty slav school here.

Been doing phd for 2 years but fuck that shit.

How are muslim terrorists hiring? Not exactly my specialization, but took plenty of microbiology and organic synthesis classes back in the day. I am perfectly willing to convert to Islam.
>>
>>8940405
I can't decide whether CS actually has a bunch of jobs or it's like what people on 4chan say and it's a pain in the ass to find a CS job without a bunch of projects/internship

I don't even like CS I just didn't know what else to do
>>
File: 1459874386848.png (93KB, 1272x953px) Image search: [Google]
1459874386848.png
93KB, 1272x953px
>>8938048
>>8938103
>>8938148
>single-semester certifications
An active learner can certainly pick up those trades if they have the time, but beyond that motivation, they also require resources. You aren't going to learn sufficiently about truck driving by going on the Web and reading about truck driving. You need a large truck, which is this big expensive piece of equipment that's genuinely scary when you operate it for the first time. You aren't going to have a truck laying around somewhere, especially since you aren't already working in a trade.

Similarly, people generally aren't going to let you nose around in their AC systems, their vehicles, their hair, or their lawns. Some households don't even let the kids mess with the ingredients to practice cooking. Even things like the help desk specialist and catering specialist that might be done without formal training can still be done better and more competitively for the job market if they're done with certifications. In doing so, you can wind up with more of the non-technical traits like professionalism, a service-orientated mindset, team experience, and the overcoming of personal weaknesses. These mean good things for the interview, and your self-definition of job readiness will be well-amplified by your possession of that little piece of paper that says that you're certified just for this position.
>>
>>8940405
>implying you need a CS degree to get CS jobs

when will /g/ learn?
>>
>>8940421
if you suck ass. YOU WILL NOT GET A GOOD JOB. period.
>>
>>8938969
I'm chemistry major
I am fucked aren't I? Don't want to do a full PhD right away
>>
>>8940421

CS internships pay more than most starting jobs in other fields, so why do you talk about them as if they're a pain?

Although if you don't have any side projects...maybe CS isn't for you. It's such an easy field to have side projects in, since you don't need physical resources to create them.
>>
>>8936365
The only truth I see is that if you're not already rich, you're likely fucked. But if you're mommy and daddy can pamper you: STEM should be smooth sailing.
>>
>>8942089
I'll let you down gently, your job is to find new and exciting reactions or new mechanisms for them.

The problem is you're basically useless.

If you're a genius then perhaps you'll eventually climb to a research director and have some control over your insights but in the meanwhile you'll be your directors bitch.

Techs make about 28k starting.

My high school teachers childhood friend got a chem degree but without any minors, or special certification.

He works in a nuclear powerplant, as a glorified water tester.

Chem Es are paid the wage they get because they take your work and make it industrial, you build the reaction, they build the plant.

So know that you're fucked.

I'd suggest trying to run into the craft beer business, then at least you won't be as much as a wage cuck.

In the meanwhile enjoy your meme.
>>
>>8937084
I'm in DC doing a cyber internship for $33/h so sounds like everyone in this thread is just bad at what they do
>>
>get engineering degree
>double major in Mandarin
>get jobs
Right?
>>
>>8942363
I don't mind the low wage too much
I am minor in math, and have research experience and all that. Living near DC I see alot of pharmacy firm and all that
Does it still look like my job outlook will be horrible?
>>
>>8936563
Most based response here
t. Burger
>>
>>8936365
lemme FTFY

Undergraduate degrees are a meme for science that isn't computer science(usually).

Technology is a meme, but you can actually get a job if you aren't shit.

Engineering is becoming a meme in some fields.
particularly
>Biomed (B.S)
>Nuke (Everything)

>associates degree meaning you'll be anything more than an assistant or technician without testing making min wage
>implying you wouldn't do better outside of your field in that case
>>
>>8936468
so you are saying that getting a STEM degree is a good career strategy?
>>
>>8944446
>Nuke (Everything)
Now that's something everyone can get behind.
>>
File: 1494175474914.jpg (36KB, 511x509px) Image search: [Google]
1494175474914.jpg
36KB, 511x509px
>mfw lit major and I shit on stem wages
>>
File: 1487142633100.jpg (21KB, 437x359px) Image search: [Google]
1487142633100.jpg
21KB, 437x359px
>>8937348
>Be engineer, secure job
>Be 20 years from now
>Hordes of rookies entering the field since the system demands for them to
>Your job gets taken by some American trained monkey and you can find no work
>Either suck dick or starve and die
>>
>>8944444
Digits confirm!
>>
There's nothing to worry about. They should just come down on all the retarded diploma mills and set some strict curriculum requirements for freshmen. Proper STEM education is a giant pleb filter in itself, so as soon as all the dodgy ways brainlets can crawl through towards the magic piece of paper are eliminated, everything will sort itself out.
>>
>>8944452
>Be engineer
That's where you fucked up, kiddo. Also:
>not managing to build any business of your own in 20 years
>>
I'd just like to say that I like the little commonly used job advancement titles in engineering.

>Engineer I: Entry-level Engineer
>typically 0-3 years of experience
>$64.5k median salary

>Engineer II: Intermediate Engineer
>2-5 years of experience
>$80k median salary

>Engineer III: Senior Engineer
>4+ years of experience
>$95k median salary

>Engineer IV: Head Engineer
>5+ years of experience, plus proven leadership & management skills
>$113k median salary

>Engineer V: Specialist Engineer
>9+ years of experience
>$131.5k median salary

There do exist self-employed freelance engineering consultants, and they're typically at the fifth level. It seems like a lot of firms would rather hire a mercenary of a crew of them every now and then than keep an engineer on their staff full-time.
>>
Stem has been done to death by boomers/genx. For them, getting a job meant programming calculators or even writing word documents out of uni (when I was a kid, knowing msoffice meant you were some kind of demigod) and they spend the rest of their studies drinking, fucking and traveling.

Meanwhile, our generation is actually the highest educated, but there is hardly anything to do because tech is so far advanced.

Actually imo there is some kind of neo-hippy-movement right now, with all the festivals, weed consumption etc, having a career is neither worth it nor very realistic for the majority.
>>
>>8944554
>Stem has been done to death by boomers/genx.
Starting to suspect this is bait...
>getting a job meant programming calculators or even writing word documents
No, this is too obvious, must be a retard.
>when I was a kid, knowing msoffice meant you were some kind of demigod
Yup, a garden variety cretin.
>there is hardly anything to do because tech is so far advanced
No, damn, nobody's that mentally handicapped it must be bait!
>having a career is neither worth it nor very realistic for the majority
Phew. It's just some unironical brainlet doing brainlet.

Thanks for the emotional lollercoaster, kind stranger. Here's your [CRABBIT GOLD].
>>
>>8944557
Please tell me more about your magical tech wonderland, knowledgable scolar. What novel inventions arise from your infinite wisdom, perhaps an automata to assist you in getting rid of your pesky virginity?
>>
>>8936365
You're a sucker if you study for the system.
STEM is only relevant in the capacity it teaches you to be more skeptical to the systems of man.

> If you don't know how to program.
> If you don't understand mathematics.
> If you don't fundamentally question the models people base their lives on.
> If your IQ >120 or so...

Basically people study for degrees, learn nothing in the means of self-efficacy, and then sit around feeling confused that the paved road did not lead to OZ.

Fuck the beaten paths.
> Learn because you seek knowledge,
> STEM for deeper understanding of how to model reality.
> Learn to market, sell, understand, refine understanding.
> Read.
> Start projects you want to see in the world, and give it everything. Get obsessed, but ignore the Hustler-mentality pushers.
> Make sure what you do is in line with your own strengths, find what triggers your flow.

Basically; Be a good fucking human being, or I'll vote for you to be replaced by the first commercially available android. I'll still vote for you to get around $50k/yr just for being.

$\int_{-\infty}{\infty} Any(t) Fucks_{given}(t-\tau) dt = 0$
>>
File: 1464921118535.jpg (69KB, 712x750px) Image search: [Google]
1464921118535.jpg
69KB, 712x750px
>tfw graduated with useless art degree
>invented a new product with literally nil formal STEM training
>sell it internationally
>>
>>8944562
>a shortage of code monkeys so big that they can't cover it by importing thousands of pajeets and employing retards with half a community college degree
Even if you're completely ignorant of job market situation in every other STEM field, this alone disqualifies your hur dere's no wurk to do. I mean people get literally highered with no degrees, two bootcamp badges and a modest github portfolio. You being a brainlet is not society's fault.
>>
>>8944570
Is it a fundamentally new type of cuckold penis cages?
>>
>>8944572

If programming mobile apps that help Chad fuck your wife is a viable career choice for your, more power to you I guess. That's not a career though.
>>
>>8944580
Again, if you're too retarded to get qualifications for something more interesting - it's not society's fault.
>>
>>8944588

There are lots of very interesting fields, most just happen to live outside of practical reality, and scamming the general population for funding is not something I envisioned myself doing...
>>
>>8944610
What the fuck are you even talking about, faggot? Is this some elaborate fishing for (you)s or are you genuinely unironically un-memetically mentally retarded?
>>
I entered mech engineering instead of IT
I can't into math
What should I be doing to improve my future prospects
>>
>>8944631
Switch to IT.
>>
>>8944634
i dont want to go into computer stuff
>>
>>8944631
learn maths
>>
>>8937179
Get a job designing new ways to force feed sand people explosives.
>>
>>8936628
programming/nursing behind paywall? internet is free just go to mcdonald and you can learn everything you want
all information is widely available, its just that low iq people dont bother with learning new skills
>i know c++ since primary school
>>
>>8939598
Niggers.
>>
File: xWcl1LVy.jpg (18KB, 281x281px) Image search: [Google]
xWcl1LVy.jpg
18KB, 281x281px
>>8945342
>i know c++ since primary school
Is it C++11?
>>
>>8936440
Yeah I have an engineering degree and also underemployed
Eat a dick
>>
>>8945342
It doesnt matter if you have the skills if you have no certification or degree why would anyone take you over someone with the same skills and a cert.
Thread posts: 252
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.