[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does flash fried vegetables have any nutrients in it? I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: flash fried spinach.jpg (87KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
flash fried spinach.jpg
87KB, 500x333px
Does flash fried vegetables have any nutrients in it? I know it probably has less than eating it fresh, but does it have any at all? Because it's fried at such a high temperature.
>>
>>8929435
>I know it probably has less than eating it fresh
You'd be wrong. Cooking activates nutrients in lots of vegetables.

The amount of nutrients left on the veggies depends on cooking time and method. A long boil will make all the nutrients peach into the water. Flash fried sounds quick, so it should retain lots of nutrients. Probably more than most methods.
>>
>>8929489
*Leech, not peach...
>>
>>8929489
Seriously? I've always heard that eating fresh is the best. Is that just a meme?

And flash frying is cooking it for a short time, at a high temperature. For spinach, it says 30 seconds in oil in a deep-fryer, at 375 degrees F. Is that still ok?
>>
>>8929489
>>8929503
It's fine but depending on the way you cook it, I know that spinach does in fact lose some nutrients. For example, the amount of vitamin K is nowhere near what you'd get from raw spinach as if you cooked it.
>>
>>8929510
What about the other nutrients in the spinach? Does it vary, or can I still expect it to be healthy if I ate it?
>>
>>8929513
I can't speak to that sadly. I'd look into it a bit more on some website other than 4chan desu.
>>
>>8929539
Alright thanks.
>>
>>8929489
>>8929510
More like you will always "lose" some nutrients when cooking, but doing so makes it far easier for your body to process and absorb them, easily outweighing the loss of some nutrients.
Of course you probably don't want to boil them into a mush either.
>>
>>8929503
If you're concerned with health you should avoid deep-frying anything. Also get an electric steamer and live the life of kings.
>>
>>8930834
I know but I'm curious because there's this place I go to and sometimes order flash fried spinach. Am I still getting nutrients or is it pointless?
>>
>>8930920
The nutrients will mostly be there, it's fine.
>>
>>8929489
>activates

Poor choice of word

>Flash fried sounds quick, so it should retain lots of nutrients. Probably more than most methods.

It just means that you are putting the plant cells in an enviornment of oil heated to above the boiling point of water which bursts the cells open and hopefully isn't in that environment long enough to degrade molecules like anthocyanins or amino acids.
>>
>>8930928
>>8930989
Just out of curiosity, I checked myfitnesspal and got this result. It says there's pretty much nothing in it other than 171 calories. Are they not accurate?
>>
It will keep the nutrients, but lose most vitamins.
>>
File: mfp.png (14KB, 401x369px) Image search: [Google]
mfp.png
14KB, 401x369px
>>8931012
Forgot pic.
>>
>>8931015
Looks like bullshit.
>>
File: info.png (13KB, 391x368px) Image search: [Google]
info.png
13KB, 391x368px
>>8931015
Another version that says pretty much the same thing.
>>
>>8931018
Alright, just wondering.
>>
>>8929435
>any nutrients

Of course. Lots of them. The only way you can remove all nutrients is to vaporize it even then there's probably something left.

FYI, steaming is the best vegetable cooking method to help unlock cell walls for digestion while retaining the most nutrients. There's only like a 2 minute window after steaming for optimal nutrient content. After that perishable phytochemicals and vitamins start to degrade.
>>
>>8931025
Like you have to eat it in 2 minutes? But then won't it just degrade in your stomach?
>>
>>8931035
>Like you have to eat it in 2 minutes?

Yes, but that is rarely practical. It is just optimal.

>But then won't it just degrade in your stomach?

No. Since it has already gone through peak heating, this has to do with the type of nutrient and how much air/water it is exposed to prior to being eaten.
>>
Are stale popcorns bad for you?
>>
>>8931022
The micro nutrients version costs money
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.