[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Batteries

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 14953805269381427227902.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
14953805269381427227902.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
Can I replace these packs of 3 AAs with C's or whatever? Why or why not?
>>
Bumping.

So all those batteries would put out 1.5volts, yeah? They must be in parallel so they'd be two 1.5 sources is series, right? So am I right in thinking I'd need to compare the amp output of the batteries? mAh?

Idk, I'm a mechanical engineer who hates circuits
>>
>>8925895
Are you sure they're in parallel?
>>
>>8925849
That's a D size and those look like they're in series.
>>
>>8925895
>They must be in parallel so they'd be two 1.5 sources is series,
It's colder today than it is outside.

I've never seen these holders connect the batteries in parallel. You can safely bet the farm they're in series. So the end product is 3 x 1.5 V = 4.5V. So no, one C (1.5 V) will not successfully substitute.
>>
>>8925908
No, not really, now that you mention it. They probably are in series...

So just a straight replacement with D cell would leave the circuit short on voltage, in that case, right?

It's a very bright flashlight in case anyone was wondering
>>
>>8925931
So, going abstract here, could I wire up a 9V to successfully substitute? It's two of those packs in series powering the torch. Maybe put 9Vs in parallel to last longer?

Of course I probably won't actually do any of that, but I'm having fun theorizing
>>
>>8925947
>9V to successfully substitute?
If the bulb/LED doesn't burn out from 3 times the overvoltage, sure.
>>
>>8925969
Oh wait - the two double-packs are in series? And each pack is in series? Okay, that's weird. So it's 6V. Lower change of burning out, but you, the flashlight was designed for a particular voltage.
>>
>>8925849

Of course you can. Do it. Do it or die trying, that is...
>>
>>8925977
>>8925969

Each AA is 1.5V. I've got 6 in series in this light (two packs of 3 in series, in series). That makes 9V total.

Wiring up two 9Vs in parallel would give the same 9V output, but added current, right? Components in parallel have the same voltage, components in series have the same current, unless I'm misremembering my principals here.

But yeah, the whole circuit as is runs on 9V, and that I'm sure of.
>>
>>8925977
Those are triple packs of AAs BTW, sorry if there was some confusion. 6 AAs total
>>
>>8925996
Oh. Okay. 9V. No, don't use the 9Vs, even in parallel. You won't have as many amp-hours.
Cut a 9V battery open some day. It's a stack of very small 1.5 cells. Much less mass, much lower lifespan.
>>
File: 61-eWl4eRoL._SL1500_.jpg (83KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
61-eWl4eRoL._SL1500_.jpg
83KB, 1500x1500px
>>8925931
>I've never seen these holders connect the batteries in parallel

See >>8925926 and pic related. They're mostly for using rechargeable AA for D cells (since rechargeable Ds are rare) and come in 1, 2, and 3 cell versions. C cells are the same height as AA so adapters either use 4 AAAs or thicken up a single AA.

They do sell versions in series but I've never seen anyone use them.
>>
File: 7-LEDS.png (14KB, 844x295px) Image search: [Google]
7-LEDS.png
14KB, 844x295px
>>8925934
>a very bright flashlight
Two high current LEDs in series plus a current limiting resistor = 9V.
It could run from a single nimh cell and a converter.
Newer flashlights also use one or two rechargeable 18650.
>>
1.5 volt is 1.5 volt
>>
>>8926368
Interesting - thanks! I'd think sort of for emergencies though. There's still more mass in a single C than in three AAAs.

>They do sell versions in series but I've never seen anyone use them.
I've not seen them sold on their own (never looked, desu), but they're very common in small LED flashlights.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.