[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what is everyone in /sci/ majoring in?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 278
Thread images: 28

File: deus excellent.jpg (13KB, 500x311px) Image search: [Google]
deus excellent.jpg
13KB, 500x311px
So what is everyone in /sci/ majoring in?
>>
File: 1473489117362.jpg (19KB, 280x400px)
1473489117362.jpg
19KB, 280x400px
>>8924760
>he hasn't graduated yet
>>
>>8924760
I'll be starting my Pure Math major next semester!
>>
Hopefully astrophysics, or something along those lines, any suggestions?
>>
financial mathematics and statistics
>>
EE
>>
Math, comp sci or physics. I'm at a pretty good uni what should I do. I want money but I don't want to be a code monkey. Yes I am aware of
>300k starting
I don't need reminding.
>>
>>8924834
oh boy, if you have to ask here

chemistry and maybe molecular biology
>>
>>8924760

just started a phd in computational mechanics
>>
political science with a minor in cs
>>
>>8924760
>Ph.D. in Math
>any job I want
>$300k starting
>>
>>8924982
Also interested
>>
>>8924982
>I want money
isn't there more to life?
>>
Mech engineering senpai
>>
Undecided between Me or Ee?
Quick rundown about pros and cons.
>>
Medicine
>>
>>8925625
Same
>>
>>8924760
Computer science, minor in mathematics

Good or bad?
>>
File: 1491539241362.png (120KB, 356x333px) Image search: [Google]
1491539241362.png
120KB, 356x333px
EE, and I'm not pajeet.
>>
Microbiology

A flexible choice desu. I can go work immediately as a lab rat, go to medical school to become a physician, or stay in the academia for a masters degree and eventually a PhD.
A bachelor's in chemistry is fine too, and has lots of options as well.
>>
Comp sci
>>
>>8925792
Hope you like programming in assembly and C, staring at hex and binary, reading oscilloscopes, doing lab reports, and circuits anon
>>
Psychology and biology with a chem minor. I'm applying to medical school this cycle and everything looks good as long as my MCAT is at least decent.
>>
>graduated with Biochemistry bachelor's
>fell for the STEM meme
>lol lab tech jobs only
>fucked up 3 years of life doing meaningless chemist jobs
>going back in fall for CS to segue into a computational biology master's

Wish me luck /sci/. Maybe I'll get done with school before 30.
>>
paleontology
>>
Civil engineering, thinking about going into acoustics.
Does anybody here know if acoustical engineering is fun?
>>
>>8925601
not in the post-bronze-age world
>>
>>8925858
I'm so fucking sick of how negative people get when people state their major. EE is not even bad and yet your dumbass has to come and rave about how awful it is when I'm sure you probably never have done it. First off EE has many specializations and you can easily avoid any parts you don't like after your second year. Your life must suck being unable to handle any kind of minor inconvenience. Fuck off back to /b/.
>>
Pure Math and Linguistics.

They're a good pair. I'm going to make AI some day, I swear.
>>
File: 53f.jpg (27KB, 600x765px) Image search: [Google]
53f.jpg
27KB, 600x765px
>just graduated with a Mech E degree
>80k$ job i start tomorrow
>20k$ sign on bonus
>had a whopping 3.1 GPA but multiple internships and i nailed the interview

feels fuckin' good man. gonna crush my relatively small amount of student debt and try to buy a house in the next year. maybe even get around to getting a gf, who knows.
>>
>>8924760

EE.
>>
>>8926012
I'm happy for you anon. Keep it up.
>>
>>8926012
>happiness
>in the XXI century
hoo boy
>>
>>8926012
My man. Have fun!
>>
I'm in EE for my undegrad, but I'm a returning student who started out in philosophy/linguistics/math because I didn't know what I wanted to do. so my additional credits puts me somewhere around EE with minors in math, CS, and philosophy/linguistics. Although I don't think I'm allowed to have three minors so I have no idea how this'll go down when I graduate.

I'm considering pursuing a math grad degree or possibly moving towards CS for my master's. While I enjoy engineering and it makes me employable I think I'm most passionate about higher level math and in particular computer science. So I've been hedging my curriculum in that direction.
>>
>>8925601
Yes there is, but I find math, physics, and computer science all very enjoyable. Working with them as the job part of my would be more fulfilling than any other viable option I can think of(I don't want to end up a code monkey though). So I'm interested, as someone who doesn't come from a rich family, in which one has the best financial outlook.
>>
program i'm in is just for a bsch in science, i'm supposed to specialize down the road

i kind of like physics, but geology and chemistry are also interesting.

I basically have a few points of interest as far as long-term scientific goals:
>development of a manafacturing method for a synthetic alternative combustible fuel source, preferably one that would make space travel more feasible
>developing a more viable method of creating genericized geothermal energy plants in order to solve the energy crisis
>developing a way to help people survive on other planets
>>
>>8926314
do CS for undergrad.

look man, code monkeying is a part of paying your dues when you get out into the work force. you are going to do it for a couple years until you are no longer considered an FNG. ideally you pick up other skills along the way and move out of the code monkey role, unfortunately there are a fuck ton of shitters who stagnate into cubicle drones and perpetuate the code monkey stigma attached to CS. the man makes the position, the position doesn't make the man.

with that being said, CS will get your foot in the door with a good company. after that, do your masters in w/e you want. you aren't going to be touching high level shit without a masters anyways. getting the degree just puts you at lvl 1 in the game.
>>
>>8924760
Physics with a minor in phil
>>
>>8926418
Can I get my foot in the cs door with a math degree? Assuming I know how to code.
>>
>>8926696
can you? yeah. but you better have a resume full of coding projects to show you know what the fuck you are doing. CS screams "i can make you money", math is a bit more abstract and you are going to have to lean on internships and personal projects a whole helluva lot more. get the CS undergrad, take math electives and set yourself up for a masters in math. i know undergrad seems like a huge investment, but its really just the tip of the iceberg in terms of your career, both in industry and academia. do the "for sure" thing, don't gamble because you are young and idealistic. i know i sound like a real drag right now, but its an investment in your future.

/dadspeech
>>
>>8925994
Where did I imply I didn't like any of those things, or find them to be an inconvenience?

I happen to love EE and all of my classes

You won't get very far with that stick up your ass, anon
>>
>>8924760
Psychological Sciences
Switched from math because I enjoyed the neuroscience courses.

Regret it though, anyway I can get into a math masters program?
>>
>>8926732
I figured you were some math or physics major who was shitting on engineering for the meme value. Carry on, then.
>>
>>8926713
Thanks for the advice man.
>>
>>8926314
Do math for undergrad. A couple of coding electives/github projects and it qualifies you for all the usual starter IT jobs just as well. The main benefit is that it majorly helps with analytical thinking and keeps your options open. Should you decide to switch to something else besides IT - math is a much better starting point both in terms of universally applicable knowledge and as a line in your CV. As for financial outlook you should research both your options and your desires carefully. Investment bankers swim in cash, but they also work 80-100 hour weeks for years and have virtually no life outside mind-numbingly boring work. Academics have a relatively relaxed lifestyle and freedom of choice in topics they work on (adjusted for funding), but aren't particularly well-off, often have to build their life around their career and only few win the tenure lottery. In between there's a whole range of different combinations of hours/salary/interest. It should be noted though, that very few jobs in the industry are interesting in terms of someone ""truly"" passionate about science. Aside from bleeding edge in big tech and some autistic quantative jobs in finance anything you do will almost always be more boring than research and the competition everywhere is fierce. Lastly, you should consider that very few get rich by being an employee and plan for entrepreneurship sometime in the future (build capital and connections). Now that I'm done with sanctimonious rambling a tldr:
Math is the best undergrad - do it if you have the balls and brains and want to have a range of options in career choice.
CS is good undergrad - do it if you're sure you want to pursue a career in CS, transitioning is pretty hard and you will almost invariably be doing something close to CS.
Physics is a pretty shit undergrad as far as job market goes - do it if you're very passionate about physics and want to be a researcher or already have a very specific job that requires it in mind.
>>
File: 1490159472322.jpg (75KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1490159472322.jpg
75KB, 640x960px
BS in Psychology with a minor in Medical Anthropology and Public Health
>>
Senior in Chemical Engineering. I have completed the coursework for a minor in math and in chemistry.
>>
I graduated top 5% in my class in Mechanical Engineering from a top school in Canada and then I'm thinking of maybe doing a Masters or Ph.D in Aerospace Engineering with a specific focus on computational fluid dynamics, reacting flows and propulsion or advanced algorithm development and computational aerodynamics.
>>
>>8927025
Investment bankers go to elite private schools and receive a proper liberal arts education; the STEM guy will be a code monkey for most of his career. In careers that require people skills the smooth talking Ivy Leaguer will dominate.
>>
File: smirking engineer.jpg (15KB, 301x450px) Image search: [Google]
smirking engineer.jpg
15KB, 301x450px
>>8927530
>the STEM guy will be a code monkey for most of his career.

yeah man, those STEM guys just end up being code monkeys.
>>
>>8927530
I'm at a fairly elite liberal arts school and taking some liberal arts electives. Do you think I could get into investment banking? I don't want to work 80 hours my whole life where do people go from there?
>>
>>8924974
reporting in
>>
>>8927527
Where did you apply for grad school?
>>
>>8927573
Banking, advertising, entertainment are where you want to be. Learn to be Shakespeare like when speaking. You want to be like this guy the Harvard/Oxford man running Disney/ABC Entertainment.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/leaders/ben-sherwood/

Or Harvard/UPenn at NBC Universal
http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/leadership-overview/cesar-conde-2

Study these bios; lots of elite school lib arts majors.
https://www.pimco.com/en-us/our-firm/firm-leadership
>>
>>8927530
Nearly a quarter of my math class went into IB and are fairly successful. I'm working in management consulting and we have more science grads than liberal arts majors. Your TV gossip tier understanding of career paths isn't really helping people who look for actually good advice.
>>
>>8925791
>mathematics, minor in computer science
fixed
>>
File: 1486253838573.jpg (7KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
1486253838573.jpg
7KB, 227x222px
>>8925995
>Pure Math and Linguistics.
Not bad. I never considered such a pair. Seems comfy desu
>>
>>8927573
Your question is pointless, considering you provide no background. Bankers usually stay and get into upper management or change towards private equity/asset management. Lurk efinancialcareers for more info.
>>
>>8925995
Very good pair. I would seriously consider them myself if I could do it all over.
>>
>Aeronautical engineering
I'm worried because most in the field tend to get aeroSPACE degrees. I'm not sure if it matters much.
t. freshman
>>
>>8924952
lmao man sydney ?
>>
>>8927819
>he thinks a masters present in nearly every math department everywhere is exclusive to one city
>>
>>8927774
Civil aviation is in dead-end. You're going to be designing more efficient weapons of mass destruction. Congrats.
>>
>>8924768
Nice
>>8924834
If you had to ask you should be an engineer
>>8924952
Nice
>>8924974
Eh
>>8924982
Meme
>>8925409
Barf
>>8925544
Shit tier
>>8925608
Gay
>>8925621
Both shit
>>8925625
>>8925785
Great tier
>>8925791
Shit
>>8925792
You can't fool me
>>8925815
Nice
>>8925835
Braindead tier
>>8925869
Utter-sub-shit meme tier
>>8925900
You must be a really awful biochemist
>>8925904
Cool
>>8925912
You won't do well
>>8925995
Fantastic tier
>>8926012
Good for you, still gay
>>8926020
Shit
>>8926188
Schizophrenia/10
>>8926398
Actual brainlet
>>8926497
Shit combo
>>8926735
Shit
>>8927058
Shit
>>8927195
Cool
>>8927527
Do it
>>8927774
Enjoy weapons testing
>>
>>8927856
>it's another retarded autismo thinks anyone cares about his edgy opinions episode
How does the self-awareness not strike you halfway through typing that garbage?
>>
MechE

I'm probably going to hate it and find it boring/tedious but I like money and having a job
>>
>>8927839
Well I already contracted to be in the military for 4 years so that's a foregone conclusion.
>>
>>8927860
Your projections are highly indicative of your insecurities my young one. I shitpost therefore I am, faggot. If you're not here for the laughs you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>8927856
You absolute edgelord piece of shit. I bet you're in 1st or 2nd year math and think you are a philosopher king. You haven't realised mathematicians aren't actually the masterrace you thought them to be yet.
>>
>>8927869
>I shitpost therefore I am
There was no doubt your life is nothing but shitposting.
>If you're not here for the laughs you're doing it wrong.
So stop doing it wrong then. Fuck off to plebbit and see if anyone cares about your ebin oneliners there.
>>
>>8927819
no UC Santa Barbara
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (176KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
176KB, 1280x720px
>>8927869
>projections
>>
>>8927870
>>8927873
>Being this easily offended
skin so thin you can see right through
>>
comp sci, thinking about minoring in astrophysics. I have no idea why
>>
>>8924760
Accounting
>>
>>8925869
Im also majoring in psychology and a minor in history however I think Im going to change my minor to philosophy
>>
>>8925409
What school? Or what country/area?
>>
either applied math or math-econ, I haven't decided yet
>>
Chemical engineering, but this autumn I'm switching to either physics or math, depending on if I get accepted into the physics program or not.
>>
CS
>>
>Inorganic Chemistry PhD studies
>crippling stress
>extreme dependence on alcohol
>occasional wonder if there is a job in my field waiting for me after 5-6 years here

I was having a ton of fun here until about a month ago. now I literally feel like I'm going to throw up when I start the week on Monday. the only thing that keeps me going is that im deeply interested in my project.
>>
>>8928038
what it is with phd students and all their whining

the ones i see at my uni are all chill and shit
>>
>>8928446
>the ones i see at my uni are all chill and shit
No anon, they are just pretending
>>
>>8928446
lol, maybe in public
>>
>realise I'm not smart enough to be here
>Panics
>Proceeds to hentai board
>>
>>8928459
>>8928472
do enlighten a pleb undergrad like me then

what is it that is so stressful about a phd

can't be worse than a fucking job?
>>
File: Popuko_23a.png (164KB, 517x480px)
Popuko_23a.png
164KB, 517x480px
>>8927856
Suck my dick autistic mathfag
>>
File: 8_-_AmStar_7.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
8_-_AmStar_7.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
Marine Engineering & Technology

Not a usual choice for people on this board, but it offers a nice middle ground between something I want to do and some sort of employability.

Also allows me to live in a comfy seaside city during study time with access to SCUBA and related qualifications
>>
math/cs joint
i'll be taking pure math electives but if i don't smell good academia opportunities i'm bailing for software
>>
>>8925900

What's the STEM meme?
>>
can't decide between physics and math, holy shit is it hard to choose
>>
>>8924760
Global Thermonuclear Warfare.
>>
>>8926497
same
>>
all of the above
>>
>>8928477
pampered academic babbies confirmed BTFO

>I have to work full time waaaa
>>
PhD student in a computational chemistry lab.
>>
>>8928446

They're chill because the only time you see them are when they are TAing you, grading, or something along those lines, which is basically a vacation from the actual research.
>>
>>8927836
not guy, but some places word majors uniquely
>>
>>8927839
that sounds fuckin dope
>>
forestry and environmental sciences
>>
>>8928727

Do you do any field work?
>>
>>8924952
ucsb? if so, same, 3rd year
>>
>>8928665
that doesnt answer my question where is all this stress coming from? all jobs have deadlines and everything that entails

is there something inherent to a doctorate that makes it extra hard?
>>
>>8927589

I'd rather not say. I haven't really applied because I'm an idiot and I deciddd in this only last minute but I was able to get an in by contacting profs I was really interested in and they are being receptive so I think I have a way of pushing myself under their supervision. They're just looking for letters of recommendation as a way to finalize their decision. I was pretty lucky I guess. I decided to stay in Canada for financial reasons and because there is a good Aerospace institute in Canada that works with jet engine designers and NASA.
>>
>>8928846
Well, I'll see you at UTIAS then.
>>
>>8927589

I'd rather not say. I haven't really applied because I'm an idiot and I deciddd in this only last minute but I was able to get an in by contacting profs I was really interested in and they are being receptive so I think I have a way of pushing myself under their supervision. They're just looking for letters of recommendation as a way to finalize their decision. I was pretty lucky I guess. I decided to stay in Canada for financial reasons and because there is a good Aerospace institute in Canada that works with jet engine designers and NASA.
>>
>>8928856

Hah. Maybe, just maybe. Still talking to profs atm. I'll see how everything turns out. Are you doing computational work or robotics?
>>
>>8928769
yes a lot
>>
>>8928878
Computational work
>>
>>8928950

Oh damn. Looks like I might be working with you then.
>>
Chemical Engineering
>>
>>8924760
Comp. Eng.
>>
Materials science and engineering, with a minor in physics
>>
File: C1mhCkqUkAEP1TE.jpg (50KB, 943x525px) Image search: [Google]
C1mhCkqUkAEP1TE.jpg
50KB, 943x525px
Fisheries biology with a minor in applied statistics. Hoping to become a researcher for non profit
>>
>>8924974
Fellow EE master race here
>>
>>8924760
>So what is everyone in /sci/ majoring in?
i have really struggled with whether and how to respond to this. The execution of this message was very nice and respectful, and I genuinely appreciate that. The premise, however, is problematic. Maybe not inherently, but within the context of the sexist society we live in. Men are allowed, and often feel compelled, to think out loud at women, to share unsolicited not necessarily informed thoughts at women. (And usually these men, unlike you, don’t even seem to recognize that their thoughts may not be useful.) Women on the other hand aren’t allowed to be as open. So, if you want to not just be respectful, but actually be anti-oppression, it is better (IMO) not to respond to a woman’s work with the types of thoughts that other men pawn off as insights, if you know what i mean. again, i appreciate your honesty, but i feel obligated to point these things out.
>>
Stats and comp sci double major
>>
>>8929114
Poverty will suit you well
>>
File: intj.png (11KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
intj.png
11KB, 400x400px
>>8924760
Electrical engineering (b.s.) then Robotics engineering (masters)
>>
>>8929339
>MBTI pseudoscience
Of course you're an engineer
>>
>>8924760

Railroad engineering; the only non-meme engineering
>>
>>8929080
The only true answer
>>
double majoring in economics and math, and minoring in stats
>>
>>8924760
i just changed my major from CS to computer engineering
>>
>>8929997
why
>>
>>8925621

Mechanical means you can solve problems in the real world. EE grads can do the job but much of the systems they work on will include things they don't understand.

EE will always have work but mechanical is more applicable outside of work
>>
>Bio major/Spanish minor

where do i lie on the brainlet continuum?
>>
Biomedical Engineering. Either that or Robotical Engineering. Both are my passion.
>>
Cognitive science major with minors in cs and stats
>>
>>8928777
Yup, shoutout gauchos
>>
so glad i switched from bio to CS

fuck chemistry
>>
File: 1487445215767.png (208KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1487445215767.png
208KB, 5000x5000px
Energy Policy and Environmental Policy with a CS minor.
>>
>>8925904
That's actually so cool
>>
Starting chemistry soon
>>
>>8927856
ok
>>
>>8930476
>Biomedical engineering
He fell for the meme degree

Bro you're not going to find a job with just an undergrad in that
>>
>>8924760
Double major in Mathematics and Mech E
>>
I'm debating between computer science or chemical engineering.

I like them equally but my goal is to get a job. How is the job market for chemical engineering? Is it shit? I've heard its difficult to find work in it which makes me lean towards CS. Any help?
>>
>>8926735
Ian?
>>
>>8926012

>buying a huse when you aren't working in real-estate

kys you pathetic trash
>>
>>8932210
I was planning on specializing myself in high-end prothesis.
>meme degree
which is your major fellow retard?
>>
>>8932420
Currently still taking geneds.

I'll be helpful and just tell you that if you want to work on cool prothetics and shit like you probably have imagined in your head; take mechanical engineering with a specialization/focus on biomedical/biomaterials.

The truth is these companies aren't looking for an undergrad who took a jack of all trades degree that didn't really specialize him in anything. They're looking for a team of specialized engineers in different established engineering fields.

If you are still adamant about taking biomedical engineering consider taking a master's too, otherwise you'll be working some bottom feeder lab rat position far from any meaningful work with biomedical prosthetics.
>>
>>8925980
This is gonna be my standard answer to this question from now on.
>>
geology. because i hated cs class
>>
File: 1474840194566.jpg (22KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1474840194566.jpg
22KB, 512x384px
Physics mustard race. Other degrees can't ketchup.
>>
>>8924982
What is this fucking 300k starting meme??
>>
>>8926713
So, CS makes you money? What exact skills to focus on? What exact careers?
>>
>>8925904
Holy shit, please tell me more!!! Potential salary? Potential career opportunities? What were the classes like? This was my dream job as a kid
>>
>>8927746
So what exactly should one study major wise? Spent a few years learning to trade equities, and became extremely proficient. I know a few foreign languages, very good written skills, great at math and science. What exactly are you saying? Be a people pleaser that is good with words and you'll get anywhere? Sounds like bullshit marketing advice you give to door to doors lol...
>>
>>8927756
What is "fairly successful"???....

How did you get into management consulting, salary, hours, lifestyle?
>>
File: Histology dinosaur.jpg (45KB, 480x476px) Image search: [Google]
Histology dinosaur.jpg
45KB, 480x476px
>>8933880
>Potential salary?
Meh unless you do micropaleontology or biostratigraphy.
>Potential career opportunities?
Strictly academia (university or museum work) unless you're doing micropaleo or biostrat, in which case you can make lods of emone by working for an oil company.
>What were the classes like?
A 50/50 mixture of sedimentary geo and evolutionary bio. There aren't usually separate classes or departments for paleo; you'll usually be in the geo department, though sometimes you'll be in the bio department instead, and it's not unheard of for vertebrate paleontologists to end up with the medical/veterinary people due to the emphasis on vert comparative anatomy.
Don't do it for the money unless you want to spend your career looking at thin sections to identify biozones.
>>
>>8926012
location of job? what school? Could I achieve this high of a salary with a 3.8 but only one internship?
>>
File: PhD in Math.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
PhD in Math.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
>>8933865
>Ph.D. in mathematics
>Any job I want
>300k starting

[eqn]\rm \color{gray}{old meme}[/eqn]
>>
>>8927862
nah man gas turbines class is the shit. learn to make rockets and power plants.
>>
>>8927977
Why switching? Whats wrong with chemical?

>>8928663
Tell me more

>>8928788
Tedious lab work that is not only monotonous but extremely repetitive. Reading a fuck ton. A few books a week.... Writing a fuck ton. Hundreds of pages a month...
>>
>>8929080
Soo, chemical engineering with a materials specialization?....
>>
>>8924760
I'm studying Computer Hardware Engineering (Electrical & Electronic core + Computer Science credits).
>>
>>8929335
non profits pay the most lmao. He will not be anywhere near poor, especially if he starts his own, or opens a nursery.
>>
>>8930356
outside of work? What? You mean everyday life?
If so, not true if you have any kind of hobbies. EE hobbies are lit. No such thing as mech e hobbies.
>>
>>8931765
Ditch the CS minor, get philosophy, writing, or finance. Become a politician or environmental lobbyist. Rake in the millions
>>
>>8933194
This man speaks truth. Prosthetics are all done by design or process engineers working with material scientists for 3d printing and laser modeling. Maybe even coding so you could write some kind of shit so people in the third world, where prosthetics are the most needed, but the least available, to be able to fit themselves and actually life a decent life.
>>
>>8924760
Physics with Honours.
>>
>>8933750
Cool. Why? What do you want to do?

>>8933896
Thanks, really appreciate the detailed answers. I had a love for exploration, discovery of the new, lost, and unknown, and a thirst for adventure and curiosity. I also love to determine the genesis of things as it makes me feel like I am understanding something to its absolute. I have never even heard of micropaleo or biostrat until today. Just collected lots of fossils and minerals as a kid. How specific do you have to go in this field? Can you study evolutionary bio and proficiently understand across all species and eras or would you have to focus on something like mosasaurs. Fuck oil companies honestly, although living life on a deep sea rig would be pretty cool with the work schedule giving you weeks off, having catering and being in the sun and water all the time. Is it possible to still be an "adventurer" in this day and age?
>>
Thanks guys,

Currently Chemical Engineering undergrad going to UW, thinking about transferring to U Mich, UC, UT Austin depending on what path I decide.
Right now I'm either interested in going into Photovoltaics/-conductors/materials to work on superconductors and solar cells for someone like Elon or a space exploration tech oriented co.
I also have some serious language skills, being an excellent writer, an eloquent speaker, and also foreign language proficiency.
How could I better use my skills with this path/would I be better off pursuing something else? My strongpoints are definitely organization, leadership, teamwork, and resourcefulness. I also have a bit of background in equities as I use stock trading to finance myself as a hobby.
Am I making a mistake going chemical?

If I don't transfer it will be because I decide to go medical with UW(ranked #1 in specialization) and maybe go into something like gastroenterology as I have Crohns disease and am realizing how shitty the knowledge and care given to these patients are.

Either this shit or I want to be real life Indiana Jones, if that is somehow possible.
>>
>>8933899
Yeah, no.
>>
File: Thriller.png (554KB, 680x618px)
Thriller.png
554KB, 680x618px
>>8933962
>How specific do you have to go in this field? Can you study evolutionary bio and proficiently understand across all species and eras or would you have to focus on something like mosasaurs.
Studying evo bio gives you a broadly applicable toolset, but generally you either focus on a certain group or on a particular preservational/taphonomic process. There are trilobite guys, and echinoderm guys, and bivalve guys, and brachiopod guys, and that's not even getting into vertebrate paleo! But there are also paleoecology guys, and konservat-lagerstatten guys, and stable isotope paleoclimatology guys, and biogeochemistry guys too. (And of course there are niche fields like ichnology and paleobotany and biostratigraphy and stuff.)

To give a few examples, my current advisor studied graptolites for his thesis work, but ended up becoming a trilobite specialist (Ordovician trilobites in particular). My upcoming advisor (for when I go off to start my PhD in the fall) doesn't study a taxon, though; rather, he looks specifically at predator-prey interactions and parasitism.
I'm not the paleofag to ask about specializations within the field, though; my thesis work is on an Ordovician trilobite, but I'm not sure what I want to devote my career to yet. (When I got my B.S. I was more interested in vert paleo, but inverts kinda grew on me.)

>Is it possible to still be an "adventurer" in this day and age?
You might enjoy the fieldwork. But I'll warn you, it ain't for the faint of heart or hard of breath.
>>
Is medicine a major in the american school system?
>>
>>8932250
I'm not a chemical engineer but I know 2 chemical engineers who, after graduating, struggled to find work. One had to settle for a low paying chemist job since that was the only thing available. From what I can see and from what they told me, chemical engineering isn't that great right now. There aren't many jobs around and if you mainly care about getting a job then computer science would be by far a better major. I'd avoid chemical engineering.
>>
>>8934102
not for undergraduates. they generally do a special "pre-med" version of a bio B.S. and then go off to med school.
same as how people do pre-law to go to law school later.
>>
>>8934117
Huh... How qualified were they, and would you hire them/trust them to do work? Also what did they specialize in because that could have a huge impact. Materials guys are useful from medical to genetics to PV to conductors. Oil and gas industry is huge, UT Austin is a top 20 and most of their grads go into the oils, make 100k+, and just look at their job placement rates.. huge.. Also can just use analytical skills to go into finance. Sounds to me like these guys were either under qualified, didn't look hard enough, or were able to market themselves/put themselves out there

Any insight?
>>
>>8934094
Don't worry haha I do 30k+ elevation gain 100 mile backpacking trips for fun :). All my buddies are geo majors and all they like to do with me is hike haha.

Thanks for all the great insight btw. Think chemical engineering undergrad could mesh with paleo grad school for an interesting outcome?
>>
File: Dio.png (1MB, 1409x720px) Image search: [Google]
Dio.png
1MB, 1409x720px
>>8934167
ChemE + paleo basically just screams petroleum industry to me. Your other option, as I see it, is to go the full academia route and study the geochemistry of fossilization/preservation/diagenesis, but I don't know how much overlap there is between that kind of chemistry and what you learn for ChemE.
>>
>>8934315
I want the field work brotha.
>>
>>8934048
Crossboarder please leave.
>>
Environmental Engineering
Gonna get an internship with the water bureau and make enough money to be happy.
>>
>>8934403
explain?
>>
>>8933917
>Why switching? Whats wrong with chemical?
Nothing wrong with Chem eng, I just want mathematics and physics to be a larger part of my education. Considering this, there's really no point in doing chemical.

Also I hate labs.
>>
>>8924982
>Math, comp sci or physics.
I did Physics including PhD. You really need that PhD before you get the more interesting jobs, especially if you want to avoid becoming a code monkey.

I had to do programming for a few years to pay down my student loans but now I am in a more relevant line of work.

Solid state physics is probably the safest career choice. Astrophysics is of course interesting but the job market is sheer murder.

>>8925601
>>I want money
>isn't there more to life?
Research is fun and interesting (as well as dangerous and more often boring). Problem is it is badly paid. Normies want the latest gadgets and medicines but couldn't care less about paying for the R&D that lies behind this. Tragic pay was the reason I left research. You simply do not get paid for the hazards involved.

>>8925980
Good answer, anon.

>>8926398
>i kind of like physics, but geology and chemistry are also interesting.
I also find geology interesting. Problem is, the bottom more or less fell out of the job market.

>>8926497
>Physics with a minor in phil
Not sneering at philosophy, just want to know why you made this choice.
>>
>>8924760
Comp Sci + Math
>>
Finance + Economics.
Any capital markets bros here? Should I switch one of them for something more mathy?
>>
Bioscience and Astrobiology
>>
>>8935675
Finance is a chad degree; it's business, not really math. Finance majors usually end up in sales because they don't have the chops to do the mathematical work.
Unless that's what you want you should be majoring in mathematics and just directing your courseload as much towards financial applications as you can.
>>
>>8935675
Keep both if you go to a good school. If you go to a shit school and the finance program sucks switch it out for math.
>>
Electronic engineering, did I fuck up?
>>
>>8936120
Nah u did good
Comp sci here
>>
>>8936135
Then I guess I should study a lot this summer because I failed Integral calculus, Classical mechanics and Programming by doing jack shit and missing class. I'm only in 2nd semester btw
>>
>>8933974
Hey just got accepted for a transfer to UWMadison. Got into Johns Hopkins for physics/chemistry/premed so I'm going there. Best of luck on your transfers!
>>
Chemistry with a minor in energy science/technology, I want to develop fuel cells/super conductors, and later go for a PhD in Materials or Biomaterials to study how to counteract demyelination of the brain.
>>
Will be going to Hopkins for Physics don't know for certain premed or physics PhD. I'd love to hear peoples experiences in medschool/gradschool
>>
Awaiting pure math grad school in the fall. Excited and scared. If this whole academic thing doesn't work out (most likely will), I'm gonna become an actuary (I took stats courses throughout my degree).
>>
>>8924952
does a financial mathematics and statistics major actually lead to finance jobs? i've read that it's only useful for niche fields because you don't learn much finance, and for actual finance jobs a finance major is more sought after.
>>
>>8933930
>he doesn't build a fantastical steam powered home with his mech e. knowledge

fucking wasted me familio
>>
>>8927756
which city/university does this apply to? i'm considering doing a dual degree in maths and finance and wondering if i can drop the finance degree
>>
>>8936420
On the contrary, people want someone with a statistics or math degree regardless of whether or not the company even knows how to use someone with those qualifications.

t. overqualified excel monkey
>>
>>8936448
according to linkedin, and this is in Australia, most of the people working in finance have a b. commerce (business degree for americans) with a major in finance, and people with math degrees seem to work in tech (namely Google)

I don't like the idea of being code monkey, I'd like to be an excellent excel monkey if I can.
>>
>>8927860
lets be real if you do mathematics you are a brainlet virgin with an iq of 80
>>
Mechatronics Robotics and CompE
>>
File: sea parks fire instructions.jpg (207KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
sea parks fire instructions.jpg
207KB, 750x1000px
I majored in Marine Biology and Theater, somehow.

I think that leaves me poised to become a dolphin trainer at Sea Parks.
>>
Masturbation
>>
neet learning to make websites :3c
>>
>>8925858
I'm planning on picking the microsystems route as my specialization for 3rd year. So, I'm ready for the codemonkeying.
>>
>>8924952
I've only seen financial mathematics at the graduate level in US
>>
>>8925791
Do CS and stat like me
>>
>>8927746
So according to PIMCO bios, undergrad really doesn't matter as long as you can get an ivy league graduate degree. Makes me a little more hopeful thanks.
>>
>>8927956
If trying to finance, applied math and stat rule
>>
>>8928474
Art degrees are a thing
>>
>>8928550
Does Pure math and cs work well together
>>
>>8929330
Same
>>
File: statut.png.jpg (45KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
statut.png.jpg
45KB, 600x350px
>>8924760
Culture and African studies
>>
>>8935682
This man is right. Shoot for ivy league for masters if you want to hit the high league of finance. Otherwise expect years grinding the ladder, especially if you have social autism and can't /fakeittomakeit/
>>
>>8925904
...cuz i have a large bone 4 u to examine
>>
File: 1491344931540.png (183KB, 300x277px) Image search: [Google]
1491344931540.png
183KB, 300x277px
petroleum engineering

come at me
>>
>>8927774
Quiting my job as an aircraft mecanic today. Unless you plan on getting into cad dont do it
>>
>>8928548
Oh shit im planing on going to cal maritime next year, where did you go or are going and how is it?
>>
>>8924760
cocks
>>
>>8937316
Yah, but what kind of engineering?
>>
>>8924760
I am literally too dumb to attend university/college
I wrote s*ge don't worry
>>
>>8937316
u r funny
>>
EE and Physics Double Major. Junior.

Work and life is pretty stressful. I'm in the National Guard and I'm required to devote time to that. Also, I'm kinda a brainlet. So, I'll probly end back up as a simple EE major.
>>
Philosophy
>>
English and Classics

Not a care in the world what you think. Pretty neat stuff
>>
>>8924760
Biochem, going for masters in computational biology.
>>
hydrology
got a physics minor
>>
>>8924760
Pure math and CS double major

I enjoy it but it kills my sleep ;-;
>>
EE, stats minor.

Going into my senior year, pretty good gpa and I've been reading a ton of ML papers. Really hoping to get into a master's somewhere doing that but there is way to much fucking hype around the field rn.
>>
>>8937816
>ML
What did he mean by this?
>>
Community College
>>
File: large-icon[1].png (66KB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
large-icon[1].png
66KB, 460x259px
>>8937817
machine learning
>>
I failed highschool, I'll be studying a 10 page surd manual !!

If I believe I can do it, I can do it !!!
>>
>>8924760
I receive a PhD in Linguistics, the only patrician major
>>
>>8933944
>>8933194
Thank you for your help anon, i wish you the best in your degree
>>
>>8935301
>Tragic pay was the reason I left research.
So what do you do now? Are you in the industry?
>>
>>8924974
this but starting to regret it
>>
I majored biology about to start DO school
>>
Genetics
>>
>>8927856
i absolutely hate people like who reply to every post in this thread.
>>
>>8927870
Maths or physics majors are by far the only non-brainlet ones (seriously, all the others without exception are dumber than a sack of hammers)
>>
TCS
>>
I'm almost finished with my Mech Eng degree. I did learn some things but I feel useless, I don't know how to do anything, I just know theory.
>>
>>8924760
Im a double major, Pure mathematics and Computer science... Ive been offered 2 jobs by my professors already to do some research, and ever since I got my shit together (used to be a weekend, party drunk) Ive been doing a lot better...

I guess what I want to get at, before this thread dies, is what are my job opportunities when I graduate? I really like researching, and trying to get into cybersecurity, but I dont know what to do to get employers to consider me; people tell me to do Interships but I have no idea how to start, and all my friends are still weekend drunks and I cant ask them. Sorry to sound like an idiot, also, I wish I had more friends like the people of /sci/
>>
>>8938943
Internships and hobby projects. Some of them don't need to be hobby as in small, they can be moderately big one man or small team projects.
Get other friends.

>Cybersecurity
Do something related. Start reverse engineering, do wargames/CTF stuff, etc. Ask your professors too.

Blog about it, put shit on github, etc.
>>
>>8925904
micropaleontology for oil recon?
>>
File: K-Pg.jpg (57KB, 960x824px) Image search: [Google]
K-Pg.jpg
57KB, 960x824px
>>8939338
invertebrate paleophysiology (still considering paleoecology) for never getting a job outside of academia ever. T_T
>>
>>8938943
find a professor who does cybersecurity and ask them to fund you for grad school
>>
MChemistry
I graduate in a month. I should have done chem eng that's where all the money is.
>>
File: 1495743227974.jpg (35KB, 639x960px) Image search: [Google]
1495743227974.jpg
35KB, 639x960px
>>8924760
Economics and Accounting.
But I really love hard science too.
So visiting this board is a form of wish fulfillment I guess.
>>
>>8938913
Don't worry, no one expects you to know anything fresh out of school

t. aerospace engineer
>>
I did finance with a math minor. Got an entry level job at a mortgage company, probably gonna do that for a few years while I pay off loans, then go for a stats master's.

I just want to do cool shit with numbers desu.
>>
File: IMG_0750.jpg (37KB, 380x387px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0750.jpg
37KB, 380x387px
>liberal arts

ill make sure to spell your name wrong when you order a coffee.
>>
>>8939546
don't worry. i don't look down on the people who serve me.
>>
File: IMG_0589.jpg (71KB, 790x803px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0589.jpg
71KB, 790x803px
>>8939548

desu i'll probably be replaced by a robot within the next 5 years, so i guess it's good to start early..

spare some change?
>>
Computer Science.
>>
>>8939555
no you won't. automation is a meme perpetuated by NEET's who want an excuse for sitting around their parents house all day.

they have coffee vending machines already and people would still rather have their stuff made by a real person. funny thing our species is.
>>
>>8924760
Brainlet majoring Automation Engineering
>>
translation
>>
>>8939488
can you do a dual degree to fit some hard science in?
>>
>>8937657
>>8937651
what job options are you looking at?
>>
>>8926012
I wish I could be as confident in myself as you are...
>>
>>8924760
compsci
>>
Biophysics grad student, half-way through a PhD program.

>>8925397
>chemistry and maybe molecular biology

That was what I doubled in during undergrad major. Took a few gap years to work as a lab tech after undergrad and before grad school.
>>
File: Waking up.png (745KB, 1920x936px) Image search: [Google]
Waking up.png
745KB, 1920x936px
Sub honours pleb (hopefully) going into Pure Math. Was super lazy and basically managed to fail half a year, now I'm stuck with 3/2 semesters worth of resits in August. My work ethic is pretty back on track now, I work maybe 5-6 hours a day and managed to clear a module in a week, getting >90% on the past papers I did.

I'm just glad I got this kick up the arse now rather than in honours where it affect degree classification. Any turnaround stories would be appreciated though
>>
>>8940555
>half a year
>3/2 semester

Probably should've proof read
>>
>>8924760
>falling for the educational jew
>>
>>8924760
/brainlet/ here: Hospitality Management.
>>
>>8940066
Academia, of course. Considered being a translator for a while--all equally comfortable.
>>
>>8938199
What languages do you currently speak?
>>
>>8924760
B.A. in Applied Math
>>
Was math, dropped out and now want to kill myself.

Wish I could be reborn. Quite honestly ready to just start a band or something and hope something comes from that.
>>
>>8939571
I agree. I think if automation was as big of a deal as these guys are making it out to be we would see much more impact from it already. I think at best, self driving cars might put a few out of work and I still question that a little.
>>
>>8937291
What is cad
>>
>>8933898
No
>>
>>8924760
physics

i never understood people like
>>8927856
but i'm grateful i'm not one of them
>>
Neuropharmacology
>>
Geology
>>
>>8941540
a CAD tool is basically a 3D program used to design products and houses. AutoCAD Inventor is an example.
>>
>>8924760
I got my masters in Mech E. But now I'm doing freelance programming for shit pay, because that's the price of wanting to stay with your gf.
>>
>>8941476
Yeah worst comes to worst I'm looking at having to repeat a year but like hell I'm dropping out
Thread posts: 278
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.