[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Math major later in life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Hey guys, I think this might be the right place for this.

I'm 35 years old and going to college in 2018. Yeah I know, I'm old and late to the party but I had no choice.
My dad died when I was 15 and with 2 little siblings at home, my mom just couldn't cope so I had to get a job. I was lucky because I found a decent one at a car dealership as a mechanics apprentice and I kept it until now but it was never what I wanted to do - it just paid the bills. Between me and my mom we managed to send both my siblings to college and now they've come back to finance my higher education. I've always been interested in math, even when I was in school math was one of the subjects I loved.
So to my topic, do you guys have any tips for an old dude majoring in math? Similar stories? What should I be aware or mindful of?

Basically anything that might prove useful in my studies is welcome. I know I'll be 15-ish years older than my future classmates but the way I see it, I've still got maybe 30 years, probably more in a field I'll actually be interested in and wanting to do. That's 30 years I don't want to spend as a mechanic.

Thanks a bunch in advance.
>>
>math major
>300k
>any old folks home I want
>>
>>8923523
If you're going back to college to secure a higher income and better future for yourself, switch to engineering. You need a phd in maths to actually work in the field, which means you'd be done by 44, at minimum. Add in another 2 years of post grad-work, and yourenow 46 and just starting to look for a tenure track position, which youlll probably never secure. You'll float around in adjunct positions for a few years and then retire on a low social security rate. Keep in mind all of this is assuming you hve the grades to make it into a graduate program and actually succeed in finishing the phd (and many do not). As an engineer you're entering the work force at 39, which is still late, but doable. You can be licensed by 45 and have a solid twenty year long career.
>>
>>8923553
Besides that, nursing is also a great option for late starters. Not as glamorous as STEM, but they make a decent wage and outside of a hospital setting, sit on their butts 24/7. If you go to a 2 year graduate program after you can increase your income by 40-50k/year. If you want to study maths solely for the study of maths, go for it, op, but realize most who finish a bachelors in maths are not able to get into a grad program, and those who do have a high fail out rate. You'll probs end up teaching, making less than you do as a mechanic
>>
Mech E and Math minor senpai
>>
>>8923570
>>8923553
Don't listen to this retard "muh pure maths mustard trace"

A lot of mathematicians I know that were not smart enough (let's be clear: me neither) to do pure math switched to applied math / physical mathematics (i.e. simulation) and are doing pretty well. I'm a mech eng. who did applied math grad program and I have to say mathematicians are much more prepared for those things than engineers, which made me a bit sad at first.
Once you know the math, grabbing the physics is easy, the other way around... not so much.

My advice would be: don't go for pure theoretical math, know your limits. If you get into scientific/engineering computing, there's a lot of money to be made.
>>
>>8923523
I would go to your nearby college and ask for an assessment. Like anon said, its difficult to find a secure job on math alone. Ask your college for tips.
>>
>>8923553
>>8923588
>>8923608
>>8923610

Great advice guys. I'll look into it a bit more along with talking to local colleges. How's the financial maths sector, I've heard great things about the availability of jobs and pay. Thanks gents!

>>8923570
I've also considered health care, though probably md rather than nursing. I'll keep this option open while I research a bit more. Thanks mate.
>>
>>8923662
for financial sector show em ur good at maths and interested/knowledgeable about finance
>>
>>8923608
You're not a mathematician if you don't have a phd, rat
>>
>>8923662
Don't MD, you will be 50 by the time you are really making money
>>
>>8923523
>I've always been interested in math, even when I was in school math was one of the subjects I loved.

most everybody who says this only has some familiarity with arithmetic, basic euclidean geometry, and maybe some calculus.
which is to say they've been exposed to one tiny, specific corner of mathematics which is going to be NOTHING like what you'll be studying as a math undergrad and beyond.

It's a huge leap of faith to decide you want to be a mathematician, considering that at your level you have no idea what it is or if you'll like it. I hope it works out for you man.
>>
>>8923553
Buuuullshit

If he wants to work as a mathematician then yeah he'll need a PhD

But a math degree goes a LONG way in tech and finance
>>
File: 1493495302414.png (1MB, 1181x1181px) Image search: [Google]
1493495302414.png
1MB, 1181x1181px
>>8923523
Fuck yeah go for it man, I am 29 and I am a math major. Ironically enough I was also an auto tech. ASE master auto tech, and ASE's in collision repair. Worked in a privately owned and successful shop, I was treated well and given good pay and benefits.
I used to love turning wrenches but after the years it got really boring and I started to hate the work.
So I went back to college and just kind of decided to do math because I was quick to comprehend the material and did well in all the math I have done so far.
If you really love math, go for it, you should understand by this point in life that the amount of money you make is meaningless to your own happiness.
I made almost 70k a year and I was pretty miserable.
I would rather be broke doing math than spend another year turning wrenches.
These younger guys only see dollar signs, most of this board is comprised of people who are going into engineering because they see the starting salary statistics and believe that their life's happiness will revolve around the comfort that money will provide. But you, OP, should already know how untrue that is and that money does nothing for your happiness.
If you think that doing math will make you happy, than you should pursue math with your whole heart....that is what I am doing.
Even if you only get bachelors and work as an adjunct for the local community college teaching math, if math makes you happy and it is what you want to do with your life than you should do exactly that.
>>
>>8923553
math majors can get a masters in statistics and find jobs as a data scientist and statistician. they can minor in programming or do a cs joint program and find software jobs. they can pass 2-3 actuarial exams before graduation and get internships and a job later on. all this without a phd. but engineering makes things easier, colleges usually plan things for you. majoring in math is also for ''youngsters'' who want flexibility. if you know you'll be working in the industries, don't major in math. go do programming or engineering, it's the only thing that makes sense for a 35 year old who needs a guaranteed value out of education.
>>
>>8923523
If you need some motivation, this video might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNHBMFCzznE

Some advice:

Try to choose a program with a good balance of pure math and applied math courses. It gives you perspective.

Get as /fit/ as you can, math is tough on the body and on the mind, you will need a strong body for long study sessions.

Review basic algebra/pre-calculus topics so you are ready for differential calculus, you can start by doing all the High School stuff on khan academy.

To give you a broad perspective about what being a mathematician is all about, read the book: "How Not to Be Wrong: The Power of Mathematical Thinking" (the title is very dumb, but the book is really good, trust me).

Go for it anon.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.