[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Calorie as a measure of food energy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: tavern-double-burger-1100.jpg (187KB, 1100x535px) Image search: [Google]
tavern-double-burger-1100.jpg
187KB, 1100x535px
Why do we use Calories as a measure of energy that humans derive from food?

A calorie is the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1 °C.

The process of human metabolism is totally different to combustion, so why is this used as a marker for food energy?
>>
>>8921451
How warm are you senpai?
>>
>>8921453
warm enough thanks to chemical reactions that do not resemble combustion
>>
Because theres no reason to change it. It works just fine for all practical purposes.
>>
>>8921466
This. Why do autists always insist on wasting vast sums of money on fixing systems that don't need fixing.
>>
>>8921451
Because you are mostly water and you expend most of your energy heating yourself
>>
>>8921451
calories are the fahrenheit of energy. use joules isntead.
>>
>>8921451
Because the amount of potential energy contained in a system (food) is the same regardless of whether you burn it or break it down with hydrochloric acid.
>>
>>8921451
people in other countries use joules (kJ really). mostly asian countries as I remember
we just chose kcals. presumably the guy who decided that had some sort of reason, but it really doesn't matter.
If not for kcal or kJ what would you use, OP? it has to be quantified some way, and one of these basic measures of energy seems fine enough
>>
>>8921451
>1 gram of water through 1 °C
that is a gram-calorie
the food Calorie is a kilogram-calorie
>>
>>8921451
Because with calories the numbers are nicer, you need around 2k calories each day.. and so on
>>
>>8922276
Yeah, this. What we call calories in food are actually kilocalories. So the 300 calorie candy bar actually has 300,000 calories.
>>
>>8921477
Are you an engineer?
You sound like an engineer. Only an engineer can say something this dumb.

Mathematician master race here.

Inb4
>Muh -1/12
>>
>>8921451
human metabolism and combustion engines are basically the same. thats all you need to know.
>>
File: 1490892258707.jpg (28KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1490892258707.jpg
28KB, 600x338px
>1 pound of coconut butter is 3800 calories

Science can't explain this
>>
>>8921451
Your body literally carries out the same reaction, it's just catalyzed so you don't have rapid oxidation and catch on fire.
>>
>>8921461
>warm enough
can I....
*rubs your thighs*
...test that theory?
>>
>>8921451
>process of human metabolism is totally different to combustion
Wrooong
>>
>>8921451
Its so that we can mentally calculate how hot the fire needs to be to burn the fat kid down the street.
>>
>it's a "energy conversion mechanism that is inefficient and inherent with dated pathways that produces stress which ages/kills us" episode
>>
>>8921451
>The process of human metabolism is totally different to combustion, so why is this used as a marker for food energy?

Because it's accurate, represents a solid way of definitively measuring real chemical energy stored in food, is easy to measure, and represents useful data for dieting and diet dependant metabolic processes.

Do you even KNOW how ATP synthase works, pleb?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y1dO4nNaKY

Your body IS basically a biologically controlled form of combustion energy.

The energy of your cells that allows you to live is based on the oxidization of sugar, period.

The oxidization of sugars release energy in the form of free electrons that are used to synthesize ATP, which is used in your muscle cells to give them the energy to move.
>>
>>8921451
The formula of cellular respiration actually does look a lot like combustion.
>>
>>8925352
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVcgO4p88AA

This is an animation that explains how ATP is used to power muscle cell contraction.
>>
>>8925361
>The formula of cellular respiration actually does look a lot like combustion.

It's the oxidization of sugar to produce chemical energy.

The literal ONLY reason that we DON'T call it combustion, is because it's happening 1 molecule at a time.

Also, in the presense of some catylists, enzymes, etc....

But sugar oxidization (combustion), is the chemical process that fuels our bodies, muscles, heart, etc.....

FAT, like body fat... is the body's way of storing this sugar energy in a less volatile form.

enter, the fat cell.

A convenient little cell that acts as a fuel tank for your bodies metabolic processes (like homeostasis, ATP synthesis, etc...)

So, obesity is a problem inherent in the "EAT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN BEFORE WINTER OR WE WILL STARVE", instinct.

With the recent overabundance of foods for humans to choose from, not to mention technological advances in individual dwelling thermal insulation, but also heat for the dwelling.

Throw in heavy clothes, automobiles with interior heating spaces, etc...

And you have an environment where the "Binge before winter to survive" instinct is no longer applicable, and now borders on the "Directly harmful for the individual"

THIS is one of many crossroads, any intelligent species MUST overcome, to survive.

Industrial agriculture and civilization has made MANY of your instincts SO irrelevant, that they border on detrimental.

How do you proceed?

>:_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsUo-S8-_ic
>>
OP is right it's silly to measure calories like this considering the metabolic pathways, amounts of excretion etc different food groups have
>>
>>8921451
we use kilojoules where im from, i think most of the world does actually. also by calorie you mean kilocalorie.

i dont see anything wrong with either, what's the issue? they describe chemical energy in our food, this is serviceable for what we apply them to.
>>
>>8923837
Dear /sci/,
You are scaring me.

D:
>>
>>8926197
;)
>>
>>8925394
It's literally operating on the same principle of a combustion reaction though, by which I mean the breakdown of a hydrocarbon into h2o and co2 in the presence of oxygen. Now it's not like a true combustion reaction when you look at how the molecules are broken down step by step but overall the process is the complete oxidative breakdown of suger.
>>
>>8922478
Sadly in the world outside of academia most industries will use old technologies until they are literally bankrupt or the new technology is so much better than the old that not upgrading would cost them more money.
>>
>>8921477
>If hya caint tell its broke, don't bother fixin it
>>
File: 1494113913366.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1494113913366.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
I cannot believe the number of utter brainlets ITT who still think calories are in any way a useful measure for nutrition.
Maybe it's because they're too stupid to think beyond a simple intake-outtake scheme based on them, in which case I can't really say I blame them for their ignorance.
>>
>>8921451
my country uses kJ for food kJ/kcal for soft drinks/juices which makes sense since it gives you rouch idea how much "water" you have to "lose"
>>
File: old-samuel.jpg (33KB, 388x512px) Image search: [Google]
old-samuel.jpg
33KB, 388x512px
>>8927096
> who still think calories are in any way a useful measure for nutrition.
As opposed to?

It's easy to shitpost that something is wrong.
Come up with a better system. Post it here.
We'll be the judge.
>>
>>8927166
>As opposed to?

The glycemic index.
>>
>>8927170
>glycemic index
...is blood-glucose response to food,
not energy content (like Calorie) you retard.
>>
>>8927239
Haha, you thought you could trick me by playing dumb?
Calling your bluff.
>>
Can someone point me to where the 2000 calories a day meme came from?
>>
>>8927268
It's what simpletons (((think))) nutrition is.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.