[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does he even explain what a circle is without reals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8

File: 1490226393897.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490226393897.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
How does he even explain what a circle is without reals
>>
If I asked Wildberger what the zeroes to x^2 - 2 = 0 are what would he say?
>>
File: Worlds_greatest_living_mathman.jpg (22KB, 749x155px) Image search: [Google]
Worlds_greatest_living_mathman.jpg
22KB, 749x155px
>>8921306
>You mean the fundamental dream of algebra?

Or something like that.
>>
>>8921302
What's his goal
>>
>>8921315
To have well defined objects that you can write down on paper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_dGqavx5AU
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WabHm1QWVCA
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmEM75lTLes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp0H3Aw0j6E
>>
>>8921315
Shill his ``revolutionary'' theory of Rational Trigonometry.
>>
>>8921306
it has an approximate solution x=1.4142
>>
File: 1455973358132-0.png (260KB, 530x575px) Image search: [Google]
1455973358132-0.png
260KB, 530x575px
>>8921306
ît's a meta-number, something beyond the grasp of our brainlet minds
>>
He doesn't have a problem with reals, just their construction.
>>
>>8921363
Wrong
>>
>>8921414
this might be the most vacuous post I've read on /sci/
>>
>>8921311
>tfw Wildberger was born 200 years too late to BTFO Cauchy
>>
>>8921430
Wildberger wouldn't mind reals if they were properly defined.
>>
>>8921443
if they were defined in a way that satisfied him then they'd be something completely different.
>>
>>8921443
>>8921445
No definition of the reals will satisfy him. He's like those people on Vixra, except he knows much more actual mathematics which ironically makes his belief everyone else is wrong even stronger.
>>
>>8922018
>No definition of the reals will satisfy him.
Because they wouldn't be real numbers if they were defined differently. What's so hard to understand about this?

>his belief everyone else is wrong
He doesn't believe everyone else is wrong. He just thinks that the foundations of mathematics that are currently regarded as canonical and that are used as the basis of virtually all mathematical education are illogical and unrigorous, and there are plenty of mathematicians who would agree with him.
>>
>>8921332
What to him is a poorly-defined object or an object we can't write on paper?
>>
>>8922051
An infinite set.
>>
>>8921302
>Mr. Wildberger is smarter than I could be even in my Wildest dreams - Gauss
>>
>>8922039
>there are plenty of mathematician that would agree with him

Lol
>>
but what about [math]e
>>
>>8921302
fuck this retarded guy
>>
>>8921302
His mind can only work on discrete mode?
>>
File: image.jpg (4KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4KB, 300x57px
>>8922140
Yes, just like all of ours.
>>
>>8922069
I see.

I suppose what counts as "well-defined" or "poorly-defined" is subjective, but I objectively can write an infinite set on a piece of paper.
>>
>>8922210
Post it, and be sure to show every element of the set.
>>
>>8922212
So to him a set is invalid if each element cannot be simultaneously written?
>>
>>8922230
Pretty much. He also denies the existence of numbers that are too large to be represented. It's similar to constructivism, though he doesn't call it that.
>>
>>8922212
>A finite set with a quantity of elements equal to Graham's number doesnt exist because you cant write all of the elements.

rly made me think
>>
>>8921302
>How does he even explain what a circle is without reals

Ah, please tell me, brainlet. How does it feel to be retarded? For all my life I've never been retarded and now I feel curious.

Anyways, you don't need real numbers to define circles. In fact, you don't need any numbers to do geometry because geometry is completely independent from arithmetic and the only reason that nowadays we mix up arithmetic and geometry is because of something a little brainlet like you is too dumb to understand so I'll skip that part.

If you want to define a circle properly then you can follow Euclid's reasoning. A good way to put it in modern terms is:

Given a point P and a segment S such that one of its endpoints is P. Consider the set of all the segments that have P as one of its endpoints and are congruent to S. And consider the set of all the endpoints of these segments that are not P. That set is a circle.

Where did I use numbers? Nowhere.

>b-but you are just saying the points are equidistant, which implies distance! Which means real numbers

Now you retarded baboon. Distance only comes into play in geometry when you define a metric inside a subset of euclidean space and geometry does not give two fucks about which metric you apply to it. In fact, it doesn't give a fuck about you applying a metric at all. Metrics are a brainlet crutch we use today so that brainlets can also do geometry problems.

Now back to trade school Tom, your brain is too small to comprehend Norman's genius.
>>
File: finding_circles_spandan_14[1].jpg (5KB, 339x261px) Image search: [Google]
finding_circles_spandan_14[1].jpg
5KB, 339x261px
Like this :)
>>
>>8921306
Wildberger would prefer to treat the square root of two algebraically or as approximations. He's indicated in several videos that even though it "looks like" a line might intersect a circle, it doesn't if the hypothetical point of intersection doesn't exist in the rational parameterization of the circle.

I'm not sure why this makes people so butthurt.
>>
>>8921315
i feel like he's not talking, he's talking to people in 2100 that will discover his work after his death like galois was
>>
>>8922309
to us*
FUCK i made a mistake. SHIT
>>
>>8922309
I seriously doubt he thinks like that. He's definitely talking to us.
>>
>>8921311
You weren't kidding

https://njwildberger.com/2015/11/19/the-fundamental-dream-of-algebra/
>>
>>8922283
Wouldn't this mean that the parameter of a circle is 4 times the diameter? It looks like taxicab geometry
>>
File: 1480016124592-r9k.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1480016124592-r9k.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
Doesn't he have a video on exactly this topic?
>>
>>8921348

rational trig is valid over a finite field, can be completely accurately computed in polynomial time, extends naturally to spherical and hyperbolic geometry, and is easier to teach to kids.
>>
>>8922250

Im not so sure youve really internalized any of wildbergers arguments.

Things liek points, lines, and circles are defined algebriacally, and therefore point on a line circle can be tested for the property that they in fact reside on the circle.

Wildberger talks quite a bit about how geometry is subservient to arithmetic, that part of his whole orientation that guides rational trigonometry.
>>
Cantor still triggering brainlets 150 years later
>>
>>8922239
>He also denies the existence of numbers that are too large to be represented

This is patently asinine. Why is a power tower not a legitimate representation? Because the True way to write a number is left to right, as the sum of products in our chosen base system?

Why not take every letter and number from every known alphabet and form a base 10,000 system! Thus we have made manifest numbers that literally never existed before!
>>
>>8921315
>Hey guys, Roman Numerals suck, check out these neato Hindu-Arabic numbers
>>Yeah nah get fucked
Years later:
>>He was right...

Same with Norm. Watch his Foundations of Mathematics playlist from video 1 (What are numbers?) and he lays it all out.
>>
>>8922392
His position on these things is roughly along the lines: if it is a "number" you can do "arithmetic" with it in such a way that is not merely restating the question.
>>
>>8922299
It goes against their sophomoric learnings. Norm handles sqrt(2) just fine. Like you say, treat it as a mathematical object in and of itself without trying to transform it into decimal notation, or approximate it as a carpenter would. Both are valid depending on who you are and what you're doing.
>>
/sci/ hates Wilderberger because they know he's right
>>
>>8921302
that we can't define it and it's not normal object that can be defined, but rather meta object, meaning circle is whatever norman says
>>
>>8922797
He's /ourguy/
>>
>>8922039
>Because they wouldn't be real numbers if they were defined differently
but reals are already defined in couple different ways, axiomatically, as totally ordered complete field containing rationals as subfield, as Dedekind cuts, equivalence classes of Cauchy series of rationals, as field extension of rationals. There's no problem in defining an object in many different ways as long as the definitions are equivalent. And that may be the problem for wildburger, if somebody provides definition of reals that he will like then either it would be equivalent to other definitions of reals, meaning wildberger can't accept it, or it isn't, but then in defines object different to reals
>>
>>8923026
>reals are already defined axiomatically
imagining you can imagine things
>>
>>8921311
BTFO
>>
File: piequals4[1].png (48KB, 350x494px) Image search: [Google]
piequals4[1].png
48KB, 350x494px
>>8922341
Indeed
>>
I remain puzzled over the circle of diameter 1.
-people claim that numbers exists because ''I see two trees before me so the number 2 exists same thing for the next naturals''
-people who want to ascribe a perimeter to the circle of diameter 1 claim that it is \pi
-people claim that \pi has infinitely many digits
-so clearly creating circle of diameter 1 is a way to represent in a finite way the number \pi which has infinitely many digits

so what is the problem of the people who do not believe in the reals?
>>
>>8923067
why is this wrong? what is the loophole?
>>
>>8923110
Stop namefagging and i'll tell yah cully
>>
>>8923110
this doesn't approximate arc length it approximates area
>>
>>8923067
>>8923110
If you unironically can't come up with an intuitive explanation as to why this is wrong on your own, you're 100% a brainlet
>>
>>8921306

Maybe he'd give the standard Algebrautist's answer... "x^2 - 2 = 0 *is* the square root of 2!!"
>>
>>8922392
The point is even though some large numbers are representable through extended notation, there are many more numbers of similar magnitude which could not be represented. This is true for whichever set of symbols or short-hands are used.
>>
>>8923067
Quick explanation:

it is not always the case that the length of a limit of continous function sequence is the same as the limit of lengths of continous function sequence.
>>
>>8923110
Limits of sequences are always defined with respect to a norm (which ironically is related to Wildbergers problems)
For example, consider the statement
[math] \lim_{N\to \infty} \sum_{n=1}^N \dfrac{1}{n^2} = \dfrac{\pi^2}{6} [/math]
According to this, the sequence of rational numbers
1+1/4,
1+1/4+1/9,
1+1/4+1/9 +1/16
has an irrational (transcendental even!) number as limit.
Assuming you defined pi somehow else, this is an identity that can be proven in analysis.
And this is with respect to metric distance on the real number line (which is always used for infinite sums in analysis).
(Worth pointing out that in many contexts, real numbers are defined as limits (of equivalence classes of) sequences of rationals in the first space.)

If you look at the sequence of edgy curves in the pic, there is, for each point on the circle, a quantity which goes towards 0:
The distance from that circle point to some point on the edge curve, which the outgoing radial line meets.
All distances between the circle points and the curves in the sequences becoming smaller as you go further in the sequence
- but this is just the wrong choice for a limit if you want the result to be identifiable with the circle embedded in R^2 like you're used to (i.e. if you want the perimeter not to be 4)

Btw., note that also all the curves in the sequence also have bad differentiability properties. (Not that this alone would be a strong argument. Pi squared also has "bad rationality properties" :)

>>8921302
pic related

The space for which Z is the homotopy group, i.e. the type S with terms
base : S
loop : (base=base)
where (X=Y) is a space of paths from X to Y, generating the integers as [math] n \sim \text{loop}^n[/math]
(sorry, fixed error)
>>
Fuck all the haters.
I can't wait for his algebraic calculus course.
It will revolutionize math.
>>
>>8921302
I'd respect Wildberger's goals if they were to construct rational mathematics as a simple, highly rigorous alternative to real mathematics. But any time I find myself starting to like him he turns around whips out a hundred tonnes of intuitionist bullshit out of his ass, like there being a largest natural number and so on. If you're just going to make shit up without bothering to justify it, why even call what you're doing "mathematics"?
>>
>>8923110
Because the definition of the length of a paramteric curve defined by f is:
[math]\int_{a}^{b}|{f}'(t)|dt[/math]
Notice that f does not come up in the formula, only f'.
The "troll" curve converge toward f that is true, but it's derivative does not converge toward f'.
This is actually some moderately advanced math and you can bet nearly no one on /sci/ gets it, especially the one who mocked you. (most of them probably think the troll curve doesn't converge toward f)

This formula also explain why translation doesn't change length too.
>>
why did I fail my latex?
[math] \int_{a}^{b}|{f}'(t)|dt [/math]
[math] \int_{a}^{b}|{f}'(t)|dt [\math]
[eqn] \int_{a}^{b}|{f}'(t)|dt [/eqn]
[eqn] \int_{a}^{b}|{f}'(t)|dt [\eqn]
>>
>>8923465
>>8923470
here is the formula I failed:
[math] \int_{a}^{b}|{f}'(t)|dt [/math]
>>
>>8921302
I think wildburger has confused math, a human construction, for something that inherently exists.
>>
>>8921311
I hope Stephane ended it that night.
>>
>>8923484
I think most "modern" mathematicians confused math (a tool) for some philosophical language.
>>
>>8922392
>Why is a power tower not a legitimate representation?
Brainlet detected. Nothing I said implies it isn't, and in fact he has a sequence of like 6 videos explaining fast-growing hierarchies that can produce impractically large numbers.
>>
>>8923026
If one of the definitions has a problem, then equivalent definitions are going to have similar problems.
>>
>>8923215
He already has some videos explaining derivatives and integrals algebraically. He doesn't offer anything particularly new, but I do like his compact way of writing polynomials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyRFz8J4Y_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo-ItaB28f8
>>
>>8921302
Somebody invite him here to discuss already. I'm sure he's the most competent guy to defend his reasoning and since he's sharing all these videos on youtbe, he seems to be willing to answer some questions about his work online.
>>
>>8923734
If you have a question for him, you can ask him in his comments sections. Asking him to post on 4chan is stupid.
>>
>>8922368
No, that is why I said I wouldn't get into why we introduce numbers into geometry because your brain was too small.

All I claim in my post is that geometry is completely independent from number systems and therefore anyone can talk about geometry. Even if you don't even believe in natural numbers you can talk about geometry.

But the reason we introduced numbers was because it makes the theory very rich. When you introduce metrics (Wildberger's quadrance and spread are a kind of non-standard metric) you can first find that there are many statements about congruence that directly translate into statements about metrics. Thus you can create a quick algebra-geometry relation which is why techniques like Bashing are taught to students. The argument Wildberger brings to the table is how this algebra-geometry relation should be handled. How should it be actually defined. If you do define it in the lazy way then you quickly find that irrational numbers appear so you immediately did something wrong, so Wildberger is trying to find the right way to define metrics on geometric spaces.
>>
>>8923155
>If you unironically can't come up with an intuitive explanation as to why this is wrong on your own, you're 100% a brainlet
Let's hear it then. I'm waiting.
>>
>>8923548
The irony being that Wilderberger's problem with infinite sets is a philosophical one
>>
>>8923759
If this object was equivalent to a circle, the derivative of a circle would be 0 or undefined at every point on its circumference
>>
>>8922086
lol
>>
>>8923818
I think Wildberger makes a mistake when calling his mathematics non-philosophical, as that itself is a philosophical position. You ultimately can't avoid philosophy (or meta-mathematics ftm).
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.