[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real Science Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Modes.png (606KB, 946x974px) Image search: [Google]
Modes.png
606KB, 946x974px
Lets have a real scientific thread, just for once.

Upper picture is an AFM microscope image that depicts electrostatic forces from atoms/molecules by a nano-sized needle, taken from nature mag. Shows different configurations depending on the distance between the needle, ie. penetration depth.

Lower picture depicts the intensity distribution of gaussian laser beams, and the first few modes.

Shroedinger stationary wave function describes the top configuration, helmholz wave function the bottom one.

The underlying mathematics of solvinge laplace's equation with different boundary conditions is the same.

Keep in mind that field theories or quantum theories are just that - theories. The same goes for photon, which is a theoretical concept best described by "the thing that hits the one-photon detector".

So what is really going on? Why do theoretical physicist go on and on about String bullshit or GUT if they have not yet developed a consistent theory of light/matter interaction?
>>
>>8919033
>they have not yet developed a consistent theory of light/matter interaction?

I don't know anon, QED looks pretty consistent to me. You started off so strong as well. As to why you can get two different distributions to look the same of the top of my head I'd guess it was because the equations describing them are pretty similar, so then it's just a case of tweaking until you get similar looking pictures.
>>
>>8919033
Link the paper
>>
>>8919033
lol it says "HOMO"
>>
>>8919055
http://www.nature.com/nchem/journal/v3/n4/full/nchem.1008.html
>>8919051
I have not studied QED at all, but from my basic knowledge, it deals with fundamental particle interaction and not with real radiation and real matter (molecules, cristalls, fluids).

In engineering/chemistry, the topic is kind of a mess afaict, with contradicting models only valid under certain conditions (Drude-Lorentz, density-functional theory, london equations, debye-equations to name a few)

>>8919072
Highest occupied molecular orbital. LUMO = lowest unoccupied...
>>
>>8919033
>Lets have a real scientific thread, just for once.

>Still waiting.
>>
>>8919156
Molecules, crystals and fluids are composed of charged particles interacting with light. QED describes this interaction.
>>
>>8919156
>"For every classical observable there is a linear Hermitian operator"
>>
>>8919156
>it deals with fundamental particle interaction and not with real radiation and real matter (molecules, cristalls, fluids)

If you want more interactions just add more terms to the Lagrangian.

[math]\mathcal{L} = \bar \psi \left( {i\not D - m} \right)\psi - \frac{1}{2}Tr\left( {{F^2}} \right) + {\mathcal{L}_{otherstuff}}[/math]
>>
>>8920027
The font at the end looks like a faggot's handwriting, I'd be careful where you post that.
>>
>>8920033
How could I possibly know what your handwriting looks like?
>>
>>8920036
fucking btfo'd
>>
>>8919033
Oh we have a good theory of light and matter interaction. All you have to do is solve a quantum multibody system!
For up to two bodies, you can even get results in a reasonable time!
>>
>>8920036
Did you have an ischaemic stroke?
>>
File: my desktopp.jpg (441KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
my desktopp.jpg
441KB, 1440x900px
>>8919033
>HOMO
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.