[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some books that would help me appreciate the beauty of Maths?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: partial math solutions.jpg (211KB, 650x434px) Image search: [Google]
partial math solutions.jpg
211KB, 650x434px
What are some books that would help me appreciate the beauty of Maths?
>>
>>8918581
Text books obviously.

You can find recommendations in the wiki.
>>
>>8918581

Try reading biographies of famous mathematicians.
>>
>>8918615
That wont teach you about the beauty of maths...
>>
File: LTKM 1.jpg (919KB, 2447x3263px) Image search: [Google]
LTKM 1.jpg
919KB, 2447x3263px
>>8918581
>>
File: LTKM - 2.jpg (714KB, 2447x3263px) Image search: [Google]
LTKM - 2.jpg
714KB, 2447x3263px
>>8918581
>>
File: LTKM 3.jpg (1MB, 2447x3263px) Image search: [Google]
LTKM 3.jpg
1MB, 2447x3263px
>>8918581
>>
>>8918625

Worked for me.
>>
File: SLAVA.jpg (100KB, 864x1174px) Image search: [Google]
SLAVA.jpg
100KB, 864x1174px
If you want to experience mathematical beauty like the most autismal mathematicians do, then you have to learn mathematics. Any book that says it's gonna teach you how to appreciate the beauty of mathematics is lying. Take "real" math courses (everything above, and including, real analysis and algebra).

Imagining some guy who knows fuck all about mathematics reading about a book about mathematical beauty gave me a kekkity kek mental image. You do you, OP.
>>
>>8918649
No it didn't.

You dont learn about functional analysis by reading about Banach, maybe you get a rough Idea, but that is like claiming that numberphile made you understand mathematics, or any other pop-sci thing made you understand science.

Which is simply wrong.
>>
>>8918857

We're not talking about learning the nitty gritty of math dude we're talking about learning to appreciate mathematics.
>>
Godel, Escher, Bach
read it nigga
>>
There is nothing beautiful about jewish abstractionism designed to keep autistic people occupied.
>>
>>8918581
i think 'calculus' by michael spivak does a great job of this. so does pugh's real analysis and ahlfors' complex analysis. the latter are fairly advanced though.
hardy's intro to number theory is also a good one and doesn't really require a lot of prerequisites.
>>
>>8918581
The Shape of Space by Weeks.
>>
Godel, Escher, Bach
https://www.amazon.com/G%C3%B6del-Escher-Bach-Eternal-Golden/dp/0465026567/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495157177&sr=8-1&keywords=Godel%2C+Escher%2C+Bach
>>
>>8919269
>We're not talking about learning the nitty gritty of math dude we're talking about learning to appreciate mathematics.
They are EXACTLY the same thing.

You get a heavily distorted and very limited view. From that you can't make any claims about beauty.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.