[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Audiophiles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 21

File: d_jimnmy_page.jpg (33KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
d_jimnmy_page.jpg
33KB, 500x370px
Why do guitar players believe that the different materials, mass, body shape, finishing on the wood, and other insignificant things used on an electric guitar influences its sound more than the electronics used or the technique of the player or just how the guitar is set up?

If you take the strings off of a guitar and make the body vibrate while plugged in, you get no sound because they are not microphonic. If you put the guitar against a large piece of wooden furniture and play, these people's logic would imply the guitar would sound louder or just different, but it would do nothing to the sound. How you hold the guitar would change the sound of it if these idiots were correct.

How are people so easily hooked on to these beliefs? It's clearly the guitar industry trying to make people believe this pseudoscience so they can say that's why a guitar is better than another and increase the price significantly.

These people think that they can hear between guitars based on the wood finish. That's literally audiophile-tier idiocy. You can find videos on YouTube of people who made guitars with cement bodies that sound perfectly fine.

I just don't understand the stupidity of such a large group of people.
>>
>>8918419
The shape, density etc. of the different parts of the guitar determine the output of the electric guitar, the body absorbs the energy before it's transmitted.

Do you think you can throw the innards of an Electric Guitar onto a toilet and sound the same?
>>
>>If you take the strings off of a guitar and make the body vibrate while plugged in, you get no sound

..?

Electric Guitars work by amplifying the changing EM field caused by the string vibrating in that field.
If there is no string vibrating, there is no change.
The materials of the guitar change the way the string vibrates and any change in the way the string vibrates changes the sound of the guitar.

That is why Gibsons sound different than Fenders.

The electronics play an important part, but without the unique vibration of the string, you end up with a synthesizer and a manufactured sound, not a guitar.
>>
>>8918419
replace the wood with styofoam retard
>>
>>8918443
You're looking at two totally different instruments and you are implying that the wood is the factor that changes the sound on an instrument that has a different scale length,uses different kind of pickups, different electronic schematic...

And the wood is what you believe is The Game Changer in that.

That's how stupid you are.
>>
>>8918456
>That's how stupid you are.
This is /sci/, when we put people down for being stupid we do it in less hostile ways, using words like "dummy" or "dingus". Stupid is unnecessarily aggressive, and is better suited for places like /b/ or /pol/. Please adapt or leave.
>>
>>8918454
Salty guitarded audiophile spotted.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (5KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
5KB, 267x189px
>>8918443
I love how you ignore a dozen constituents to the sound that are actually scientifically known and measurable just so you can focus on the fucking wood as if it has any effect. It doesn't and you are literally buying snake oil with these expensive finishes, one piece exotic woods, and whatever other crap you have bought into.

Have you ever noticed how it always seems to cost a lot of money to make a guitar """better"""? I wonder why! :^)

>because it's snake oil
>>
Guitars are less about sound and more about image. Generic wood sounds less special than "handcrafted by goblin midget mongolian from dragondildowood grown in caverns below the arctic". Since it's mostly marketing of course there will be all kinds of retarded things being thrown around and taken seriously.
>>
>>8918436
You have no way to show that what you said is true in any way, where I can show you this

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5F2SHlfB8YE

and, not quite a toilet, but I think serves my argument. Nobody in the comments can agree on which is wood and which is cement. If it mattered, you'd think it'd be very obvious, but it isn't because it doesn't matter. The change in the sound had to do with them being different guitars with different strings, different tensions, pickup placement, set up, and electronics.
>>
File: IMG_0020.jpg (41KB, 739x557px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0020.jpg
41KB, 739x557px
>his instrument of choice is guitar
>>
>>8918605
>he got laid as a teenager

I have a 50 year old cheap epiphone, it's a 200 dollar guitar today, and the hard brittle wood makes it sharper than any 1000 dollar taylor. Expensive acoustics feel solid and play nicely but they sound just like any other guitar to me.
>>
>>8918569
oh so you've heard the new Rhapsody record?
>>
the maple vs rosewood neck does sound different especially on fretless since that is what the strings are vibrating against

even going to a music shops and playing factory spec MIA guitars or basses until you get kicked out for being a looky lou would tell you this
>>
>>8918619
Material actually does make a big difference in acoustic guitars. Less so on electric, but electric has other components that matter more like pickups.
>>
>>8918601
If you think this one video of a decent sounding concrete electric guitar is so earth shattering, why not make it your lifes work to convert the musicians of the world to your more easily manufactured solution? It should be easy considering everything they know about about guitar tone is nonsense according to you.

Do you play music yourself?
>>
>>8919123
I do and I'm better than you so please don't start swinging your dick
>>
and besides just the guitar itself, you have to factor in other things like the amp (probably the biggest factor in determining tone) and any sort of processing or effects you run it thru. even the room you play in affects things.

idk. as a guitar player i've just kinda stopped worrying about all the gazillion factors that go into what shit sounds like. you'll drive yourself nuts. i just start with something that looks cool and is comfy to play and work from there.
>>
File: guitardistort.jpg (52KB, 592x614px) Image search: [Google]
guitardistort.jpg
52KB, 592x614px
>>8918419
You don't know the first thing of a guitar obviously.
It begins with tuning the instrument. Even before that actually. It begins with the material of the guitar adapting to the environment in which it would be played.
Strings put a lot of tension on the material.
Also handling / playing it gives notable variations on the tuning of the instrument.
Then there is the sensitivity of the pickups, the roughness of the frets, the elasticity of the strings. All of which can make for huge differences once amplified.

So, yes, overall quality / sound differs a lot between different guitars, as for any instrument which is about the be played to sound fantastic.
>>
The mass, shape, and material affect the sounds of acoustic guitars but electrics dont need the same amount of complexity because the output of the sound on electrics is usually only a factor of the shape.
>>
>>8918601
The idea that you're presenting audio in a YouTube video as "proof" for your argument is laughable at best. It's also telling that you can't post any other legitimate source (like a peer reviewed scientific study) to back up your claim.

Because that's all you have, an ignorant claim. Nothing more.
>>
>>8919246
You hold the burden of proof to show that it it affects tone at all, so far having shown none.
>>
>>8918419
Not only musicians hear the difference, even when a fan hears the known artist play his favorite guitarsolo on a different guitar, he can here it. Our hearing is very well trained. Just like you can hear the different in voice of your mom or one of her other triplet sisters.

Next time, discuss something you actually have experience with. Music ain't it for you. Never the less, pease out.
>>
>>8919205
So you agree with the OP...
>>
>>8919336
Lmao, what a retarded reason. Nobody is talking about different guitar you dumb nigger.
>>
>>8919334
I have been playing for years on many different guitars. Just go to a guitar store and test yourself.
Use no distortion, and only the same amp of course. You can hear it very easy.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n8y9gcTFZg1snily5.png (169KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n8y9gcTFZg1snily5.png
169KB, 500x313px
>>8919336
>pease out
>>
>>8919349
because they use different electronics and set ups

Otherwise no.
>>
>>8919340
The opposite. But I am a musician.
But if you CAN play really good, any guitar will do. Does not take away there is a big difference in sound.
But a master chefcook can make a perfect dish in a trailerhouse kitchen. Skills do matter. Lesser skills demand better gear.
>>
>>8919356
The electronics don't generate the sound, the manipulate the input. So different input, how ever small, will have different output, not in the least due amplification.
>>
>>8919334
Um...no. You made a claim, the burden of proof is on you. lol, or do you not know how burden of proof works either?

But I'll destroy your argument with a couple of real quick points here, just for fun.

Two things: sustain and how well an electric guitar stays in tune.

Fact: a dense wooden neck will stay in tune and cause a string to sustain longer than a less dense neck will. This is because it rejects more of the energy from a vibrating string and allows the string to vibrate longer. A less dense neck will absorb more of the strings energy and the note will die sooner.

Fact: A stiff, dense neck will also resist the pull of the strings and result in a more stable tuning than a less dense neck will.

This is basic physics, only an ignorant sod would claim the wood an electric guitar is made out of has NO affect on the guitars overall sound. Unless you don't consider sustain and tuning stability to be an integral part of an electric guitars overall sound. You'd be objectively wrong and everyone could just go ahead and have a hearty laugh at your expense if that's the case.

Bottom line: the wood an electric guitar is made of affects the way an electric guitar sounds. End of discussion.
>>
If that were true, guitars with the same pickups/strings would sound exactly the same. WAY wrong.

In fact, the exact same instrument with swapped electronics would be far less of a difference than different instruments with the same electronics.

You struggle to find proof because this is plainly obvious to everyone who has picked up an electric instrument in their life in the past century you imbecile.
>>
>>8919392
none of those are facts lmao are you even in STEM? Did you come from another board? Nobody actually majoring in physics would agree with this
>>
>>8918419
Most musicians are shit at science, superstitious types. You could probably demonstrate a huge placebo effect by giving them superficially different guitars to play and ask them how they think it sounds
>>
File: c2f.png (648KB, 667x670px) Image search: [Google]
c2f.png
648KB, 667x670px
>>8919392
I am making no claim. You are claiming that different woods and such make a guitar sound different, so post proof of that or kindly shove it up your ass you nut job.
>>
>>8919409
Not so bright afterall. Experience goes a long way. Do you even real life?
>>
>>8919409
>n-nuh uh
Hilarious.
>>8919418
>You are claiming that different woods and such make a guitar sound different, so post proof of that
I just did. It would be physically impossible for two wooden electric guitars to sound the same. Now please provide some proof of your claim.
>>
>>8919392
>posting physics """facts""" on a science board and hoping nobody would notice
Musicians are fucking retarded.
>>
>>8919151
source?
>>
>>8919424
If /sci/ proves things the way you think things are proven, it would be called /x/. Fuck off back to whatever low I board you came from.
>>
>>8919425
>>8919432
See, now the problem is you can't legitimately refute those facts so now you're trying to evade the substance of the argument in attempt to save face.

It won't work but you cant keep trying all you want, I guess. It's pathetic, but whatever.
>>
>>8919424
>I just did.
No, you didn't.
>>
>>8919432
Finally start to realize being STEM is less helpful to understand and communicate with normal / popular people?

Go read formulas, lone ranger.
>>
>>8919434
It's very easily refutable. A cement or metal guitar would be infinitely better than any wooden guitar if what you're saying was true. It's like you don't even understand what you're arguing.
>>
>>8919435
see >>8919434
>and around and around we go

Please provide some legitimate proof of your claim.
>>
>>8919440
It's not helpful when you have to talk to morons like you who pretend to know physics. Wood is not even close in density to the dense materials that could be used but apparently aren't in guitars. This is because you are wrong. You can't bullshit on the science board, maybe on your subjective moron board.
>>
>>8919441
>metal guitar would be infinitely better than any wooden guitar if what you're saying was true.
Exactly.

You just admitted defeat.

Fact: metal necked electric guitars sound startlingly different than wooden necked ones do. Wooden electric guitars sound different than metal ones do. Wood makes a difference in an electric guitars sound.

All you've done in this thread is revealed yourself to be inexperienced and ignorant concerning the subject matter.
>>
>>8919455
You don't know wood, strings or playing instruments. But of course to you music is not an art, can not be approached scientific. That's why you lose. Life is a combination of experiences. All you got is numbers. We have friends, fun, adventure and love.
>>
>>8918419
>If you put the guitar against a large piece of wooden furniture and play, these people's logic would imply the guitar would sound louder or just different, but it would do nothing to the sound.

None of the pseudo scientists from /mu/ here will refuse this because they literally can't, because it invalidates their entire retarded belief. This WOULD change the sound if they were correct, but it doesn't.
>>
>>8919469
No, you just aren't intelligent enough to see how wrong you are, legitimately ignorant of it.
>>
>>8919474
You ask if any of us played guitar and how we stand on different wood for a guitar.
And we explained tuning, temperature relation, playability and vibration. You just don't get it. But you can not think, all you can do is learn facts. A monkey can do that trick... We can actually impress other by letting them enjoy our vision of art.
>>
EE PhD here,

Electronics have acceptable variation of about 10% and that can easily account for whatever perceived change between guitars they think they're hearing. Physically impossible for the body or neck to interact with the magnets and metal strings afaik
>>
File: smiley-face-guy-45095.jpg (563KB, 1300x1065px) Image search: [Google]
smiley-face-guy-45095.jpg
563KB, 1300x1065px
>>8919484
hi op
>>
>>8919482
You are attacking science because it doesn't agree with what you believe. Nobody cares, you're wrong and you have to accept that. I am physics 4th year and play the guitar. Tonewoods is a joke with a few of us who have been playing for a while, and yet we have nice guitars. You just sound like a pompous us vs. them idiot that is proud of how ignorant they are.
>>
>>8919484
>Physically impossible for the body or neck to interact with the metal strings
>>
File: 1463810660678.gif (1MB, 245x200px) Image search: [Google]
1463810660678.gif
1MB, 245x200px
>>8918419
>If you take the strings off of a guitar and make the body vibrate while plugged in, you get no sound because they are not microphonic
>so wood doesnt affect the strings' sound
fucking lol
>>
>>8919484
You never played an decent guitarsolo in your life. You bent the guitar if you play, however small. There is wear the type of wood becomes important. After bending the flexibility of the wood influence the tuning of the strings. A heavy player would have to tune his guitar twice per song if the wood is of poor quality. Good quality wood helps to garantee that the guitar stays tuned for long periods of time even when playing on an outdoor stage.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbgUMqUMns
>>
>>8919493
Yep, can't see how physically the material, shape, or mass would affect the sound at all. Only contact points, so the material of the saddle and fret. And at that point it would only be whether or not it is hindering sustain, which it would- just depends on how much I guess. Polishing and lubricant would be the only legitimate way to combat that. The idea that anything else would matter is silly and not scientifically measurable AKA not real. I don't know why people believe this.
>>
I sell guitars for a living and I can say for a fact that wood does affect tone.
>>
>>8919507
>can't see how physically the material, shape, or mass would affect the sound at all.
Now you're just admitting you're dumb? Yikes.

Ok, then.
>>
>>8918500
Fuck off nigger
>>
File: 1493764034780-r9k.jpg (35KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1493764034780-r9k.jpg
35KB, 480x480px
I have played guitar for more than a decade and I feel safe in saying that tone vs material/gear discussions are for faggots just play shit you like or don't nobody gives a fuck about your opinions.
>>
I feel like if we were talking about acoustics, this would be a lot easier to debate.
>>
File: wrong.jpg (77KB, 1000x968px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.jpg
77KB, 1000x968px
>>8919507
>Only contact points, so the material of the saddle and fret.
>>
>>8919507
>The idea that anything else would matter is silly and not scientifically measurable AKA not real.
Yep, there it is. Called it way back when >>8919392
>Unless you don't consider sustain and tuning stability to be an integral part of an electric guitars overall sound. You'd be objectively wrong and everyone could just go ahead and have a hearty laugh at your expense if that's the case.
>>
>>8919513
Resorting to name calling? I'm out; not wasting my time.
>>
>>8919492
Sure you are. 4th year? You must be all wise then. And you play guitar too? You must be a bad guitarist not hearing the obvious difference in tuning in a jamsession. And if you band does not pick it up, they also have not what it takes to be a good musician. You need to have good ears. But true, you can also feel the vibration of you instrument, that is, if you can pick up small differences to distinguish frequencies and synchronization, which you keep explaning you can't.
Don't worry. You find someone to have good sex with, if you make good money. You don't need music for that. Playing gigs do help for being wanted for lust by girl though. ..
>>
File: 515.gif (1022KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
515.gif
1022KB, 640x480px
>>8919533
>>
>>8919533
cry harder bitch nerd lmao
>>
>>8919547
wat
>>
is the difference in sound between les pauls and SGs solely because of pickups spacing? the SG's thin body and lack of a maple top doesnt affect it?
>>
>>8919562
They both have double humbuckers. That's the biggest factor, so they should sound pretty similar. The other differences obviously make small sound differences but they're tiny. Don't worry about it.
>>
>>8919862
Body shape does effect play style, thus does it effects the overall sound. So does weight.
>>
>>8920034
haha yes thats exactly why sgs sound like sgs haha
>>
>>8920000
Oops, for you
>>8919862
>>
>>8918419
Musicians are retarded in general, see this:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/marl/Coltman/documents/Coltman-1.06.pdf

Due to the difference in acoustic impedance of the strings and wood, almost no energy pass to the body of the guitar, that means the strings and pickups are basically a closed system.

I've played guitar for almost two decades and all this bullshit has no relation to music at all, it's marketing schemes to get retards (most musicians) to buy whatever they want to sell.
Just look at this shit: https://www.amazon.com/ToneRite%C2%AE-TR-GR03-ToneRite-for-Guitar/dp/B004BA83ZO
>>
>>8920205
>almost no energy pass to the body of the guitar
lmao

Yeah retard, that explains why it you can feel it vibrating when you strum a chord. Wait, what? That vibration you feel isn't energy?

Shut the fuck up already.
>>
>>8920228

>Shut the fuck up already.

>"Pls don't tell me I bought the snake oil!!!!"
>>
>>8920247
>when you strum a chord and you can feel the body vibrating
>but the vibration can't be energy because almost no energy passes to the body of the guitar
Yep, that right.

Time for you to shut the fuck up.
>>
>>8920253
The impedance is mismatched, Von Neumann. You don't even know the lingo which helps further the theory that you're not from /sci/ and your opinion has zero technical knowledge behind it and is therefore useless and will be automatically hidden.
>>
>>8920268
It's funny you're still trying to argue a point which has been soundly gutted by multiple people in this thread including me.

When a string vibrates both the body and neck vibrate with it. The string does interact with the wood, period. It's physically impossible for the wood on an electric guitar to not have an affect on an electric guitars overall sound because of this fact.

That why you still don't have an argument.

Now shut the fuck up already.
>>
>>8920286
Yes because people will take the word of people who buy snake oil over studies from Stanford.
>>
>>8920268
>The impedance is mismatched
uh oh /sci/. looks like we got ourselves a brainlet pulling out big boy words that he really doesn't understand
>>
>>8920293
>studies from Stanford
Oh, how I invite you to post this peer reviewed study from Stanford that proves what you're claiming*!

I'll wait!

(*Pro-tip: you won't because it's a figment of your fucking imagination!)
>>
>>8920301
See >>8920205
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,t.u1.jpg (134KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,t.u1.jpg
134KB, 800x800px
>>8920305
>https://ccrma.stanford.edu/marl/Coltman/documents/Coltman-1.06.pdf
>effect of material on flute tone quality

Still waiting on the figment of your fucking imagination!
>>
>>8920313
>>https://ccrma.stanford.edu/marl/Coltman/documents/Coltman-1.06.pdf
>No statistically significant correlation between the listeners' scores and the material of the instrument body was found.
>>
>>8920339
>the role that the wall material plays in determining the tone quality of wind instruments
LMAO

Yeah that's a good way to admit you've been soundly defeated, start talking about wind instruments in the middle of an argument about stringed guitars! lol, do you play your guitar by blowing on it like a faggot?!? You know what... now that I think about it... yeah. Yeah, you probably do.

Keep replying though, dumbass. I'm having fun.
>>
>>8920000
>>8920151
i know they sound similar, yet they have a well distinguished sonic difference. i didnt mean to say something that i didnt say.
>>
Not a guitar player i guess
>>
>>8920228
I did say almost, by that I meant it is a very small amount.

>>8920340
That was to show how musicians are retarded and you shouldn't take their opinions as facts.
>>
>>8920340
christ on a cracker kiddo
air comes in contact with the body of woodwinds and air can transfer energy to them too. the process is fundamentally the same
you're really doing a bad job with this one
>>
File: 1434924477742_crop.jpg (86KB, 646x646px) Image search: [Google]
1434924477742_crop.jpg
86KB, 646x646px
>>8920348
Oh, a very small amount? Is that right?
Is that anything like:
>basically a closed system
So in other words
>almost a closed system
>but not really
>so not really a closed system at all

I'd say it's more along the lines of you being retarded and people shouldn't be taking your opinion as fact.
>>
>>8920357
roman go back to /gg/ where we know better than to respond to you
>>
>>8920356
>>8920361
See >>8920301

I'm still waiting on that figment of your imagination!
>>
>>8920365
roman, we get it, you're a big boy who can read now
that doesn't mean you can start posting on /sci/
>>
File: Untitled.png (10KB, 627x128px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10KB, 627x128px
>>8919514
>>
Are there carbon fiber guitars?
>>
>>8920375
what is google
>>
>>8920367
>claims wood makes no difference in an electric guitars tone
>proceeds to try to use a study on flutes as proof of his claim

Oh! Would you look at that! I'm still waiting over here!
>>
>>8920380
if you'd actually read the paper, the conclusion was actually
>No evidence has been found that experienced listeners or trained players can distinguish between flutes of like mouthpiece material whose only difference is the nature and thickness of the wall material of the body, even when the variations in the material and thickness are very marked. Of course, it is possible that individuals exist whose discriminatory senses are keen enough to find a distinction, but if so, they are certainly not common.
tl;dr
People trained in the flute, let alone normal folk, can't tell the difference, regardless if there is a difference
>>
>>8920340
>Yeah that's a good way to admit you've been soundly defeated, start talking about wind instruments in the middle of an argument about stringed guitars! lol, do you play your guitar by blowing on it like a faggot?!? You know what... now that I think about it... yeah. Yeah, you probably do.
Cringe
>>
>>8920388
See, you're not quite as stupid as you're pretending to be.
>No evidence has been found
>Of course, it is possible that individuals exist

The study you posted only states that the people used in that study couldn't hear a difference in different flutes, not that the materials the flutes were made out of didn't have an affect on the sound. The study was on human hearing, and particularly those specific peoples abilities to tell the difference.

The only thing that paper confirms is that those specific people listening to those specific flutes had a hard time telling the flutes apart, not that the material they were made out of has no affect on the sound.
>>
I wish BuzzFeed could do a $300 guitar vs $8000 guitar.
There was some guy who was talking about some $8000 fancy name brand guitar, how it was sunburst and has a nice finish, and he was just blabbering how it looked so nice and was a historic guitar and shit, and then when it came to how it sounds he just said 'yeah it's pretty good' and that's all. I mean wtf?
>>
>>8920404
exactly
now it is reasonable to extrapolate (since this was a controlled experiment done precisely for this reason) that the average person with little to no musical training could tell the difference between flutes in a similar environment, designed to isolate the instrument's sound quality
further, you could extrapolate that because normal people cannot differentiate the difference in a controlled environment, they could not do so in an uncontrolled environment
now you could also claim, that if a normal person could not differentiate between flutes, they could not differentiate between guitars given the same experiment
I find the prospect highly likely, however I don't have knowledge of a study done in such a way
It'd be great if you could point me to some data one way or the other, so we could stop this worthless speculation :)
>>
>>8920438
No, sorry.

The study is questionable at best.

On the professional musicians:
>how much hearing damage do they have?
Because most professional orchestral players will have at least some moderate to severe hearing damage.
>was their hearing damage measured?
>if not, why?
>how can a supposed study be "scientific" if a major barrier to the sensitive listening the study would require was ignored?
>what was the environment like where these tests took place?
>was it isolated, sound proofed, etc?
>if not, why?
>how can a supposed study be "scientific" if the environment the sensitive listening a study like this would require wasn't ever properly constructed?
>etc.
>etc.

Then the same kind of concerns with with the control group come up.

Besides, flutes and guitars don't sit in the same frequency range, this extremely flawed "study" has nothing definitive to add to this discussion.

lol, so you still lose.
>>
>>8920444
nice trips
shame their such a waste
man you were really raring to jump on them for that one huh roman
>>
>>8920449
>their
do us all a favor and close this tab
>>
>>8920454
yikes
>>
>>8920461
>yikes spelled correctly
copy/paste miracles do happen
>>
>>8920444
You obviously don't understand how statistics work.
>>
>>8920466
double yikes
>>
>>8920466
also nice numbers

sorry roman I have a big boy job so I have to peace out to get my beauty sleep

come back and visit /gg/ sometime, we miss you
>>
>>8920468
No, I do. I also understand how controlled scientific studies stop being legitimate science real quick when a couple of variables enter that weren't thoroughly accounted for during the study.
>>8920472
lol
>>
File: 1236586904_5.jpg (11KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1236586904_5.jpg
11KB, 400x225px
>>8920480
>>
>>8919464
Can confirm those things sound great, Stephen O'Malley was using one of those when I saw Sunn O))) a few months ago
>>
>>8918504
The stiffness of the guitar body affects the sustain. Guitars with metal necks have longer sustain. Something soft and pliable will damp the vibration.

There are also hollow body guitars, etc. Some of the vibration is transferred to the interior of the guitar and this also reduces the sustain (similar to an acoustic guitar).

The way the string terminates is also important.
>>
>>8920340
Meme ruined by weird thumb with ring.
>>
>>8918419
>influences its sound more than the electronics
says who? no one but you.
>>
>>8919482
>all you can do is learn facts
I lost. Wait this isn't YLYL?
>>
>>8919500
So a metal neck with wooden fretboard is most ideal for maintaining tuning as well as desired sustain. The material of the body means fuck all.
>>
>>8920814
metal necked guitars suffer from extreme neck dive because of the weight of the metal neck, that's why they're not more common
>>
>>8920816
Then I guess the old wood and truss rod combo are still the way to go.
>>
>>8920820
that's subjective
>>
>>8920814
Most metal neck guitars are made out of aluminum which is more susceptible to tuning problems than wood is because of the way it reacts to temperature. It's not an ideal neck material at all. Sustain for days, yes. Stable tuning? No.
>>
>>8920814
Metal reacts to temperature very much, also it bends not so good. I would not play a metallic guitar on an outdoor stage . Wooden frets are a pain. They are too easy to deform.
>>
>>8920404
That's the same as comparing a fuck with Ivanka Trump, Sasha Grey and the girl next door. It's not just the material that matters or the looks. It's a combination of material and player. Look do effect the confidence of the player.
>>
>>8918419
Are you implying that all guitars have the same Transfer Function to convert the input signal to an output signal? Naturally the electronics affect this too (hence many guitars have multiple pickups installed), but so must the wood/shape etc. since these affect the mass, damping and stiffness matrices of the guitar's body and therefore affects its open loop response to the inputs.
>>
>>8918419
Because you are not a well trained guitarplayer yourself.

Not even a good musician, otherwise you'd know due experience.
>>
Because you are a 4th year physics (what a sorry way to see yourself. I am someone who played music for many years, travelled around the world, studied in multiple fields , love animals and enjoy living), you are able to read the atmospheric pressure, calculate the amount of water that goes into the heater and tell us how much energy it will cost to boil the water. In real life you just make yourself some hot water to make a cup of coffee. Takes about whatever seconds and costs about so what dollars. Is there a difference in how long it takes and what it costs if you use another heater. Yes, if you have done it a couple of times, you would know. If you need 4 years of study to be sure of that, you are really dumb nevertheless.
Deal with reality. STEM is not as cool as you think it is. We don't built smartphones, we buy them enjoy it and move on. We don't design aircrafts, we buy a ticket and enjoy the holiday.
Now buy a book so you can pasta some poetry to give to your girlfriend. ?
You don't have one?

We make our own poetry, that's why we have girlfriends.
>>
>>8920962
Holy shit that was cringe lol
>>
File: 1491261809868.jpg (7KB, 289x216px) Image search: [Google]
1491261809868.jpg
7KB, 289x216px
>>8918419

>2017
>still playing stringed instruments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9weEb-CwO0
>>
>>8918500
>Completely missing the point of an anonymous message board.
Go back to plebbit, faggot.
>>
>>8920228
If the waves are not being absorbed, what you're feeling is the inertia of the strings, not the sound transmitting into the wood.

I'd say wood does affect bending the neck. And the finish would affect how much water the word absorbs that could distort it. Also maybe when you're fretting and how far you place your finger from the fret, the softness of the wood could affect how much the string is dampened because it affects the stability of the contact point.
>>
File: 1490808650855.gif (227KB, 190x107px) Image search: [Google]
1490808650855.gif
227KB, 190x107px
>>8920924
>>
Hey, ducttaping quantum sound pebbles to the cables matters a lot too. Blame your ears if you can't notice.
>>
>>8920996
the sound quality of the notes is poor af compared to a real guitar, next
>>
Dig this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-ltPsbw9g
>>
>>8919518
There'd be no discussion artard.
>>
Same pickups, same amp, same settings, same strings, same pickup height. Ash vs Alder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QK14tjMz24

Body swap (literally everything from one body was put on another)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkms-EW4zWQ
>>
>>8921093

>Completely missing an obvious troll post.

Go back to plebbit, faggot.
>>
>>8922768
>artard

cringe
>>
>>8919392
Physics major here, former luthier, and audiophile here, and this is correct, as least about the sustain. Pickups, switching cominations, and body type make a bigger difference than the quality of wood does, but it's true that the type of wood used has an influence on the sound of a guitar, counter-intuitive as it may be. It makes a relatively small difference, which is why I play an $80 Squier. If you don't believe me then look up how a concrete guitar sounds.
>>
What if we make a guitar out of two spaced out walls, right? and put some strings to bridge the space between them. Tune to pitch.

Then float a humbucker in the middle of the air, right behind the strings, connect it to a jack, and an amp, and strum the strings.

>T. guitar/science for 20 years
>>
>>8920951
That's the point. Everything except the material of the body of the guitar effects the sound. Musicians here see difference in guitars and assume it's the material of the body that's making the difference (most likely it's what they've been indoctrinated into by the industry). While in reality while there is definitely a difference, it is in other factors. Mostly electronics.
>>
File: He's_right_you_know.jpg (73KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
He's_right_you_know.jpg
73KB, 800x598px
>>8919392
>>8919464
This is all anybody here needs to read. /thread.
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.