[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mathematical Finance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1280px-UofT_Logo.svg.png (97KB, 1280x598px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-UofT_Logo.svg.png
97KB, 1280x598px
First year braintlet here

What math & finance knowledge should I know for a Quantitative Analyst position /sci/?

Mathematics/Statistics/CompSci/ I can major in 2 and minor in 1, what is best combination?

Finance books that teach basic knowledge on trading stocks, bonds, options, securities, commodities, etc?
>>
Stochastic Calculus & C++

Just major in what you like. It's a good idea to know a lot of Stat though so pick up statistics somewhere.

I don't know much about finance books etc. but you can pick it up as you go.
>>
>>8917617
this
>>8917584
>University of Toronto
>Not taking classes taught by Jordan Peterson
>>
Mathematical Finance? The only thing that comes to my mind is Option Pricing (Financial Engineering).
This requieres a lot of understanding of different pricing models. A good start would be to properly understand the Black-Scholes-Model, which uses a lot of Stochastics (especially Stochastic Calculus) and you should know how to implement some simulation methods (like Monte-Carlo) to actually price specific derivates under that model.
The literature usually highly depends on your level of math skills.
>>
at U of T, I'd go with math and cs
>>
>>8917617
>>8917631
>>8917637

thanks my dudes
>>
>>8917584
Financial Calculus by Etheridge.

Stochastic calculus as mentioned.

Not just C++, but Python, R and Matlab even though R and Matlab are reaching obsolescence.
>>
out of topic but what's the best university for physics in Canada?
>>
ABSOLUTELY know stochastic processes.
If you can have a working knowledge of Poisson processes, Markov chains and stochastic modeling in general, you'll never look at the world in the same way.
>>
>>8918046
What are some resources for learning about this?
>>
>>8918147
>>8917631
>>8917617
if you're in first year these topics are going to be too advanced for you

even if you get a textbook in these subjects and force yourself to work through it, you wil be standing on a rickety structure because you don't have understanding of the foundations.

and to be honest the idea of a 1st year student working through a stochastic calculus textbook is laughable unless you're one of those already advanced olympiad guys.

in first year all you should do is make sure you're great at analysis , linear algebra, and any intro probability ,intro differential equations and intro stats they maybe offer.

you might as well start reading a book on finance from a finance/econ perspective since you aren't anywhere near the back scholes model properly.
the options book by hull (google it, it wil be obvious) is the usual choice
>>
>>8917631
>Black-Scholes-Model

No one uses that shit, quant finance is a big meme.

Want to succeed at finance, OP? Become a great salesman and blind your investors with your memes. Its all about OPM (others people money), the first step to learn the jew tricks would be getting an intership at a BI,Hedge Fund, etc.
>>
>>8917584
>Mathematics/Statistics/CompSci/ I can major in 2 and minor in 1, what is best combination?

Mathematics/Statistics major with a minor in CompE or EE. Java GUI development in a CS minor will be completely worthless to you.

>Finance books that teach basic knowledge on trading stocks, bonds, options, securities, commodities, etc?

Hull's book then look for stuff that's more mathematical
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Economics_Textbook_Recommendations#Mathematical_Finance
>>
>>8918147
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Probability_.28Multivariable_Calculus_based.29
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Stochastic_Processes
>>
File: 53f.jpg (7KB, 196x250px) Image search: [Google]
53f.jpg
7KB, 196x250px
Thanks all my dudes, I'll definitely strengthen the foundations for stochastic calculus, poisson process, C++, analysis, options finance...etc.

Got a few more questions however,
what are the typical "flagship" grad-schools for quant finance or MFE?

What competitions should I look into if I want to enter this field, I went to one of Citadel's Datathon, I never went to any contests where its just writing a test-paper but I want to try, like Putnam contest. And are "hackthons" completely useless at this point since its mostly CS+hardware?
>>
>>8918697
hedge funds have different routes of entry.

hackathons are for their tech hires. you'll work as tehir software engineers

if you do well on sucha competition then it would be great for getting a job there.
but you probably want a position advertised as a researcher if you want to be a genuine quant.

although your idea of quant might be simply working as a trader at a fund with a strong quantitative basis
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.