[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lexicographers are trying to change word Orientate to Orient,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Lexicographers are trying to change word Orientate to Orient, which I think is a mistake; Orientate is not attention to east - but a salute to the east, in terms of semantics.

Orient is a false word if it is to replace orientate, but can serve as a different word.

False Orient definition:

align or position (something) relative to the points of a compass or other specified positions.
is said to replace Orientate

to aim something at someone or something, or make something suitable for a particular group of people:

Orient is aligning self to compass and Orientate is aligning self from compass.

Like a focused shaking of the head from left to right.

Profile freeze of character and activity.

Smiling and other relax process to be critiqued.
>>
You forgot to take your meds today didn't you?
>>
i oriented myself around the compass

It sounds good, but it's nonsensical, it's not correct grammar. This false sentence which can be corrected supports similarity between orient and orientated.
>>
Lexicograpehrs don't try to change words and if they do they are stupid. They observe the words how they are used and then document that in dictionaries. If the meaning of the word has changed in public usage then it's pointless to hang on to an outdated definition.
>>
>>8914427
can't orientate properly because of new definition;

statuette teeth as ignored but coordinately standard self-applicable.

You can't even coordinate if that's the definition.

Calm down.
>>
What is it with brainlets and their fascination with prescriptivism? Is it that when you're not very smart you decide to pretend to be smart by being autistic about words?
>>
Are you going to have your child oriented?

(I'm trying to be serious but communication is infectious.)

Be paranoid of lockdown of pseudo-orient word!
>>
Orient is the verb
You make it a noun for he act with the suffix -ation

I bet you say "conversate" too, fag.
Verb: converse
Noun: convers-ation
>>
>>8914526
Not it's not.

Orient can be used such as
orientism; as if you had prepared yourself, you are orient;

not replacing orientate and magnetic compass-specific.
>>
>>8914346
I've only heard folks who speak English poorly use "orientate." They also say things like, "It was the best thing for him and I," and, "awesome!"
>>
>>8916046
>awesome
Kek. Superb observation
>>
special bump
>>
>>8914346
Is that a real person wearing fake hair and face masking stuff? Those eyes look so real it's hard to tell if it's a wax statue.
>>
File: 1487360406420.jpg (90KB, 544x756px) Image search: [Google]
1487360406420.jpg
90KB, 544x756px
>>8914443
>statuette teeth as ignored but coordinately standard self-applicable
What did he mean by this?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.