[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The limitation of light speed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: FTL_1.jpg (27KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
FTL_1.jpg
27KB, 300x299px
So i was reading that large objects move slower to the perspective of smaller objects so if we had a super huge object like unrealistically big could we possible be able to travel faster than light? (please embrace my stupidity im just curious)
>>
>>8914046
>large objects move slower to the perspective of smaller objects

huh ?
>>
>>8914046
The volume of an object is irrelevant. Things do not appear faster or slower due to volume.
>>
File: fi0x2.jpg (22KB, 620x462px) Image search: [Google]
fi0x2.jpg
22KB, 620x462px
>>8914046
what you're referring to is the time-dilation, due to gravity, acting on the larger mass, as observed by a frame of reference far from the same said gravitational field. To the outside observer objects within intense gravitational fields appear to be moving "in slow motion" just as from the perspective within the gravitational field those outside appear to be moving "in fast forward". Ironically both are simultaneously true due to the corresponding spatial dilations occurring concurrently.

long story short, no, your idea won't work because the ultimate transmittal rate of information remains the speed of light under all potential observation states.
>>
>>8914391
in english doc
>>
>>8914391
So if these time or spacial dilutions control our interpretations of speed, would the question become how to dilate time or space?
>>
>>8915066
time dilation is mainly an issue for objects travelling near lightspeed relative to other objects, from one-anothers' pespective they appear to be in slow motion
>>
>>8915088
Is it possible that time dilation is a result of some force we cannot comprehend because of structural limitations?

I mean this in a manner akin to wavelengths we cannot actually see but are actually there. Are physical limitations a possible reason for our interpretation of time dilations?
>>
>>8914046

There is no speed of light, only a rate of induction.

Men have already found things that "travel" faster than the "speed of light".
>>
>>8915109
time dilation is actually an issue of spacetime, I think Einstein's special relativity is still the accepted model for this phenomena
>>
>>8915172
>Einstein's special relativity
what you actually want is General relativity, i.e. Special Relativity generalized to include frames of reference incorporating gravitational effects. Its truly one of the seminal works of modern physics.
>>
>>8915132
>Men have already found things that "travel" faster than the "speed of light".
such as?
>>
>>8915199
are those books? I really need to get them if so
I realize I could've just gone to google but now I've already typed this so I'm posting it anyway
>>
>>8915172
But what is space-time exactly?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.