[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would you guys add or change to this ranking of college

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (255KB, 500x386px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
255KB, 500x386px
What would you guys add or change to this ranking of college degrees by difficulty?

>5 (hardest)
Engineering
Nursing
Physics

>4
Chemistry
Biology
Accounting
Comp Sci

>3
Business
Psychology

>2
Tech Writing
History
Different language
English

>1
Education
Film
Art
Music
>>
>>8913641
>nursing 5, should be 3
>biology should be 3 maybe stay 4
>chemistry should be 5 for sheer workload
>graduate program bumps it up 1 -2 difficulty levels
>anything with engineering after it loses a level at graduate level
>>
File: esperanto.png (396KB, 609x440px) Image search: [Google]
esperanto.png
396KB, 609x440px
Was reading this blog about failures who wished they had gotten PhDs, and tons of encouragement came from brainlets who had completely failed during their undergraduate in math/physics. They ended up getting engineering related PhDs, kek.

>be me
>93 iq
>real analysis professor talks about a compact set
>brain explodes
>drop out
>get engineering phd next month
>>
>>8913641
is nursing really that bad? I don't know anything about health science

t. accounting and business admin
>>
Ya education classes are stupid easy. If you go for math teaching though it is a pain in the ass. At my school you basically take education classes and almost enough math to have a math degree.
>>
>>8913660
Eh, I'm about average intelligence and still picked engineering over actual degrees simply because I am lazy, and where I live the job prospects are decent regardless. I can shitpost on imageboards all day, play video games and drink all night, only show up for class a few times near the exam session to catch up on whatever I've missed, and still pass.
>>
>>8913678
No, it's literally easier than a biology degree, and a ton of classes revolve around how to make patients feel "good." The reason people say it's hard is because the major is composed of sorority girls who refuse to study for their OChem and then fail out (since it's a popular program choice and most schools institute a 3.0 minimum to stay in the college)
>>
>>8913678
>>8913851

I've been in the hospital a few times, and I respect the nurses because their job is hard, but I wouldn't say their program is hard.

I was in there for 7 days, and one chick worked from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. for 6 of those fucking days. When she got back from her day off, I asked what she did. She went to work at another job she has.
>>
>>8913641
i can't say engineering courses aren't difficult or burdensome, but every engineer i met in my undergraduate physics classes did not do well.
>>
>>8913873
>>8913678

I have an undergrad in Nursing "science," also a degree in Bio, and currently in a DO program (yes, couldn't get into an MD)

The nursing program has many memes about how difficult it is, and the grading scale for most universities is pretty trash (94%= A, 85-93.99% = B, 76-84.99% = C, and all grades below a 75% is a fail).

I'd grade it at a 3, as the entire curriculum was memorizations of medications, disease and disorders, pathophysiology, and other nursing bull shit like theory and care plans.

Nursing doesn't learn the explanations and molecular dynamics of disorder (removing the difficult aspect), but simply identifying potential issues and alarming / emergent data.

Biology was definitely harder though, probably a 4.

Anyways, most of the nurses I've worked with on other floors lose their critical skills as a result of healthcare reform, where emphasis is placed on documenting every detail, and blindly following protocols and algorithms that remove any critical thinking what so ever.
Their entire profession is becoming a meme to be honest, shit could hit the fan and a squad of nurses could be responding to an urgent crisis, but their administrators will walk around with clip boards and ding them on an open soda bottle on a counter, a discharged patients room not being cleaned for turnover, and many other stupid details.
>>
>>8913660
>>8913837
Is this really the level of engineering in Murica? I'm serious, because I'm around Germany-Hungary and engineering here is basically "You are an engineer, so you can learn 3 times more stuff than everyone else. Analytical mechanics? We teach robotics here, just read the book intended for Physics Masters. Want to know how a transistor works more in depth? Good, read this book for physicists. You don't know this? You should have learned this. You should go home and revise this.".

I know that universities have to adjust their courses to the kind of people they have otherwise they would have no students. Even in BSc I see a big divide. There are people who do the easier project works and people who learn on their own and do the complex projects or come up with their own.

Still I can't fathom how someone can get a PhD with that kind of intelligence or attitude.
Most likely they aren't that stupid. I know engineers with PhDs and most of them could have easily done Physics. It's also easy to move into their subfield of Physics. I also know about guys who went from an EE MSc straight into a Physics PhD. Plenty of Control Theory guys go for a PhD in Applied Mathematics.

Some of your PhD schools are either at the level of a Western-Central European BSc program or you're into major bullshitting (which is expected from this site).
>>
>>8913658
>chemistry should be 5 for sheer workload
>chemistry .... sheer workload
mmmh what exactly? You mean standing in the lab?
>>
>>8913641
all of them are 5
>>
>>8913641
What makes physics hard?
>>
>>8914144

Maybe for industrial or environmental. I suspect I'm near average intelligence and to maintain a decent GPA (EE) I do not live the lifestyle mentioned above. That being said I do have a job. Maybe I could party it up if I did not work.

I knew a guy who did manage to get his BS in industrial with a pretty lax lifestyle -no job, partied, drank and smoked. He did not skip class and spent his life in the library at exam time. His GPA was shit.
>>
>>8913678
It's just a shitload of memorization. There's not a lot of critical thinking. Additionally, the program my wife went through and I believe/hope other programs, require a shit load of clinical hours working as a nurse in a hospital or some other care facility (hers was for no pay because fuck you) and extensive simulation labs. Those combined with the fast pace at least her program went at make it extremely time consuming and stressful. So it depends on how you view difficulty. Intellectually speaking, it's not that bad. I see it as difficult because it's essentially 3/4 of a BS degree's memorization, plus an intense trade school's worth of education, in not much more time than an AS usually takes to get.

That was just the associates and RN component, though. Her bachelors degree was piss easy and took three part time semesters. All of her instructors have said their MS/PhD degrees, in Nursing, were easier than their AS.
>>
>>8913678
If you're socially timid it's a nightmare, and the rest is tedious bureaucratic bullshit. Some people might overrate it since they automatically assume that it must be tough as balls if some colleges are allowing for a Nursing class by itself to be enough to quality as being enrolled full-time due to the clinical portion of the program.
>>
>>8914172
>I suspect I'm near average intelligence and to maintain a decent GPA (EE) I do not live the lifestyle mentioned above.
Yes, overall that's my experience too. Most stuff around here requires lab work which can't be skipped because you need to produce reports,etc..

So I'm thinking bullshitting or some very easy college.
>>
>>8914172
This to be honest. EEs and CEs have it rough, not so much the other engineering disciplines.
>>
Where would you guys put geography and environmental science? 2? 3?
>>
>>8914478
I'd say it's at least 3, it's definitely at least as hard as psychology
>>
Just finished my undergrad in biochemistry and molecular biology. The course material I would rank at 4 (mainly due to my focus which was chemical physics, otherwise it wasn't bad), but due to the sheer volume of credits I needed for the degree, I would make it a 5. Most of my peers ended up swapping to chemistry because of it. It all depends what Uni you're at and what the program demands.

Also, not all engineering degrees are created equal. Computer engineering is notoriously arduous -- lots of time spent on projects in addition to the course-load. By contrast, something like industrial engineering or civil engineering would be lighter not only in course material, but work-load.

One more thing to add, some of the Liberal Arts majors are made arbitrarily difficult by department employees -- requiring well-thought out theses for graduation requirements, or sometimes publications. Any major that requires dick-sucking your professors and superiors gets a bump in difficulty, in my opinion. Math and science is easy if you've got the mental horsepower for it... you either do the work or fail.
>>
>>8913641
do you have any idea what you do in a music degree? at least 6 hours of practice every day, recitals, competitions... the studies themselves aren't bad, but the work itself is overwhelming.
>>
>>8914613
You can have a degree in hole digging where you just dig holes for 10 hours a day, doesn't mean it is a hard degree.
>>
>>8914658
by that virtue, no degree is hard then.

You can have a degree in mathematics where you just study math for 10 hours a day, doesn't mean it is a hard degree.
>>
>Comp Sci
I'm a CS Major and that isn't even remotely true.
Chemistry is too broad a definition, some fields are pisspot easy and others are obscenely difficult.
Business is a 1.
Psychology is a 0.
>>
>>8914673
Depends on which University you attend.

Some just don't prepare you well enough for the work force. Coding is one thing, but learning how to code quickly and efficiently is another.
>>
>>8914671
Math requires heavy critical thinking, the amount of critical thinking in music and hole digging are pretty minimal in comparison.
>>
>>8914689
Would you agree however that music requires a different kind of thinking?

Surely, if you've ever listened to anything beyond entry-level genres like pop, you'd realize that some are very intricate.
>>
>>8914701
Of course, there are different kinds of intelligence, one being an intelligence for music. It just isn't as critical as others. I would probably put it in 2 though, not 1
>>
How the fuck is nursing higher than bio when it's bio on easy mode? I think you're mixing it up with medicine or something.

Biology is also way too broad of a field, something like immunology can be at 5 but evolution can be at 3

Also music is harder than you think
>>
I would change nursing to 4 (maybe 3).
Besides that, I would leave the rest in the same position.
>>
>5 (hardest)
Engineering
Physics
Math

>4
Chemistry
Biology
Accounting
Comp Sci

>3
Business
Psychology
Nursing
Poli Sci
Social Sciences

>2
Tech Writing
History
Different language
English

>1
Education
Film
Art
Music

Professional programs (MD, DDS, JD, etc) are ranked 5 at a minimum and "6" in certain circumstances (for certain programs like an American JD or a MBA, this is contingent on going to a good school, otherwise tier is 4)
>>
>>8913837
Engineering is an actual degree, non STEM is where they start to become bogus
>>
>>8913641
>undergraduate degree
>difficult
"Studying, going to class, taking exams and maybe basic research is difficult"
Sure kid
>>
>>8913641
>Engineering
>Hard
wew lad
I do fucking nothing for my ME degree and still cruise by with an 80 average
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.