[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

comp sci

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1325048.jpg (155KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1325048.jpg
155KB, 1600x900px
hi /sci/ i am going for a masters in computer science

i don't particularly enjoy maths but i'm competent enough up to calc II

have i fallen for the meme?
>>
File: 1422653279571.jpg (7KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1422653279571.jpg
7KB, 250x241px
>>8913091
>i'm competent enough up to calc II
>>
[math]Yes[/math]
>>
yes, u have fallen
>>
>>8913094
im an 18yo freshman chill
>>
>>8913100
Then why bring up grad school?
>>
>>8913102
because i wanted to see if anyone thought masters was pointless
>>
The amount of math you will need is highly dependent on what sub-field of CS you go into.

Architecture? Probably not much.
Algorithms? ML? You're in trouble.
>>
>>8913091
>masters
So you can be a master codemonkey?
>>
>>8913091
Yes. You should double major so you stand out among the brainlets.
>>
>>8913111
im am going for german aswell
>>
>>8913106
It's not pointless. It will quickly pay for itself, assuming you go to a half decent school and land a job in the field. Neither of these are particularly hard to do.

Masters is the new bachelors. Don't fall for /sci/ memes. Masters in CS is gamuaranteed money.
>>
>>8913116
well then should i go for a phd? i don't really want to do research
>>
>>8913118
Don't do a PhD if you don't want to do research. It will not pay for itself. You'll make slightly more money on average but you will never recooperate the opportunity cost of spending 3-5 more years in school when you could be getting paid real money and getting experience which equals more money.

Plus you'll hate the years spent in the PhD program if you don't like research. It's hard even if you do enjoy research.
>>
>>8913126
i see a bunch of job postings that pretty much require a phd though
>>
>>8913130
I'm Germany? I'm not sure the differences between US and German expectations from a PhD. I'd talk to professionals or professors in Germany about your career goals to see what you need.

In the US, the advice is pretty universal that you don't get a PhD for the money. You have to really love CS.

I think you should take a good look at what jobs you can apply for with just a masters. Don't think there aren't excellent openings for those individuals.
>>
>>8913091
What does computer science has to do with math?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.