[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think rudimentary math predates spoken language?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1493429669415.jpg (9KB, 232x218px) Image search: [Google]
1493429669415.jpg
9KB, 232x218px
Do you think rudimentary math predates spoken language?
>>
>>8912656
Yes. You don't need language to be able to count. Even some animals can count, like crows.
>>
>>8912656
No, the Pirahã tribe was not able to learn how to understand what 1+1 is or how to count until they switched to Portuguese for trade. Their language has no concept of quantity and they were unable to understand it due to that.
>>
>>8912701
wow, waht a bunch of retards
>>
File: mmhmm.jpg (21KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
mmhmm.jpg
21KB, 400x250px
>>8912685

That's right!
>>
>>8912701
I'm skeptical
>>
>>8912701
Yes that's because it wasn't in their language. Animals have the concept of quantity and so do the Pirahã tribe, they just don't have specific words for quantities. They have "fewer" and "greater", they didn't seem to require any more than that. That's not to say they didn't understand 1+1 or counting, it's just their language didn't have specific words regarding them. They surely understood them on an unconscious level.

Quantity and informal operations involving it are inherit in many animals including ourselves, it is what our Mathematics develops from.
>>
>>8913364
>They surely understood them on an unconscious level

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8912701
Sounds like a completely true fact.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishango_bone

>>tfw this ape was the Issac Newton of his day
>>
>>8913372
They understood some mathematical operation intuitively but could not express them in their language
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.