[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Silicon based lifeforms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1370963904670.gif (1MB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1370963904670.gif
1MB, 320x287px
>Silicon based lifeforms
>>
How would a silicon based metabolism even work?
>>
File: KidsColorPeriodicTable.png (367KB, 1188x918px) Image search: [Google]
KidsColorPeriodicTable.png
367KB, 1188x918px
The idea is that silicon could replace carbon because it has the same valence.
>>
>>8910819
The problem is that Silicon is much larger and does not allow for as much variance and complexity as Carbon.
>>
>>8910812
It would continously shit bricks of silicon dioxide
>>
>>8910809
There is this one shit old movie called "evolution" where alien life forms evolve on earth and fuck shit up.
They find the poison, somehow since arsenic is toxic to carbon-based life selenium is toxic to silicon based life.
Then they defeat the abeans with head and shoulders shampoo
>>
>>8910853
Wouldn't antimony have made more sense?
>>
>>8910853
>Ira theorizes selenium might be poisonous to the aliens, since they are nitrogen-based, as arsenic is poisonous to Earth's carbon life.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_(2001_film)
They're nitrogen based.

My grade 10 biology teacher mentioned this to me but I never bothered to look up the movie.
>>
>>8910881
The premise was that since Arsenic is down two rows and one column to the right on the periodic table in relation to Carbon, the same L-shaped jump would make Selenium poisonous to Nitrogen-based life forms.

That movie was actually what made me decide chemistry is retarded and started my career path toward physics.
>>
>>8910890
How the fuck would Nitrogen based life even work? What next, Chlorine based life?
>>
>>8910907

I used to love chemistry back in HS. I used to think I'd either go into Chem E or a related field. I've since changed my mind, but I recently took an intro chem course as a prereq for my entrance to major (returning to education using the GI Bill) and was astonished at how much the course made me hate it.
>>
>>8910917
>was astonished at how much the course made me hate it

What exactly made you hate it? I haven't taken a chemistry class since early high school
>>
>>8910933
The banality of the material and the methods of the course.
>Have to pay an extra fee to take an online assessment (ALEKS) which takes hours to complete and aside from it affecting 2% of your final grade has no real utility
>all """critical thinking""" questions are tired algebra tricks
To be fair that last one is a fucking common one among courses I've taken. It almost feels like some administrators told the course directors to add "critical thinking" questions, and in their laziness they resort to these algebraic manipulations.
>>
>>8910881
Movie was a 2 hours head and shoulders comercial
You can't find any antimony in head and shoulders now can you
>>
File: horta.jpg (44KB, 620x260px) Image search: [Google]
horta.jpg
44KB, 620x260px
>>
>>8911030
this is the first thing I think of when I think silicon based life
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.