[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain why you hate popsci

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: pop.jpg (377KB, 1280x1600px) Image search: [Google]
pop.jpg
377KB, 1280x1600px
Explain why you hate popsci
>>
>>8908062
It seeks to entertain rather than inform and educate.
>>
mah sex junk is so, oh oh oh
>>
>>8908062
It makes brainlets feel as if they are intellectually superior and arrogant towards to me and their colleagues, despite having very little knowledge of science or proofs.

It also gives people the confidence to publicly speak about topics they know extremely little about and thereby likely spreading false information.

Also, because being smart should not be "trendy".
>>
>>8908116
so what bigot?
>>
>>8908062
>Watch popsci at a young age and decide to go into STEM
>get bored of popsci (since its the same regurgitation of concepts mostly)
>motivated by hating popsci and wanting to transcend it so normies don't have shit on me, I strive to learn much more complex stuff
I think both the love and the hatred of popsci has a place in encouraging people to go into STEM. The pseudo-intellectual normies are annoying, but negligible for the purpose popsci serves.
>>
>>8908062
Is this shit even popsci? IMO channels like vsauce and crash course are pop sci. Nye's new show is just watered down garbage for brainlets. It's morning tv show tier than anything. Hell, big bang theory conveyed more scientific information than Bill Nye The Trans-gendered Guy.

Why don't they just have gender studies shows instead of injecting it in shit people want to watch? Why does this shit need to be in sports, cartoons, movies, videogames. It's annoying, I don't give a fuck either or. I care about as much as I care if a person likes pickles on their big mac.
>>
>>8908062
>contributes to retaining the "be entertained, complaint and retarded" thing that every normie is under, it takes something that you could use to overcome that and boils it down to the same useless shit
>makes people think they have some authority or intelligence on anything
>inevitably misconstrues topics, spreading misinformation
>gives a completely false image of science, while better than anti-science is not a good thing
>>
>>8908116
yes, but what did she mean by that? is so what? am i too retarded to understand the new music?
>>
>>8908118
Just like philosophy
>>
I don't, I just don't like Bill Nye
>>
>>8908062
It degrades "science" into simply meaning the regurgitation of "facts" from self-proclaimed authority figures. Rather than promote science as a methodology and promote how to think. One gives a person a fish, the other shows a person how to fish.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.