[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Analysis or Algebra? Which is more intuitive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

Analysis or Algebra? Which is more intuitive?
>>
Analysis is more intuitive but harder to do, and algebra is the opposite.
>>
analysis deals with infinity, so its inherently less intuitive
>>
>>8907163

I thought analysis was hard, but became intuitive as I worked with it more. I never felt that way about algebra.
>>
File: photo[1].jpg (116KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo[1].jpg
116KB, 900x900px
>>8907179
>>
compare the differential equation of a circle with the algebraic equation of a circle
>>
I thought analysis was "seeing beyond the veil"-type shit. Is that only complex analysis?
>>
>>8907191
>the differential equation of a circle
hmmm
>>
>>8907163
Why does the most comples branch of math(analysis) sound so gay?
>>
>>8907219
It's an attempt to get engineers to learn some real math.
>>
>>8907163
I'd argue that at the introductory level, both are equally intuitive/non-intuitive. However as you progress, Algebra can get a lot more abstract than Analysis.
>>
>>8907163
I wouldn't exactly call abstract algebra intuitive, but all these people saying analysis is more so have got to be baiting.
>>
>>8907163
analysis deals with objects which we have intuition for but that intuition is wrong. algebra deals with objects which we have no intuition for. they're equally difficult. the reason analysis seems so counter intuitive is because it combines classes of objects which we intuitively DO understand with classes of objects which we act completely counter intuitively. For example, topological spaces combine metric spaces, which act quite intuitively, with non metrizable spaces, which are not intuitive at all. So one thinks they understand some statement about topological spaces because they are imagining a metric space but in actuality the situation is much more general and subtle. This happens a lot in topology, beginning students might wonder why we even need to distinguish between second countable and first countable if they only consider metric spaces. Thus analysis involves a lot of rebuilding your intuition to fit a new perspective while algebra is primarily about building a wholly new intuition.
>>
Analysis is more intuitive, but Algebra is harder to do. In analysis, you can place a picture on most things, and let the picture guide you from there. In algebra, there is no picture. You have to figure it out on your own.
>>
>>8907214
[eqn] \dfrac{dr}{d\varphi} = 0[/eqn]
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.