[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Re-Teaching myself Maths

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Im-The-Captain-Now.jpg (11KB, 478x350px) Image search: [Google]
Im-The-Captain-Now.jpg
11KB, 478x350px
Currently in university studying Engineering and I always do badly on maths tests, I think it's because from the beginning I only really used to learn how to do problems by their solutions and I never gained a real understanding. What would be the best way to go about learning from the very bottom and is it even going to be worth my time?
>>
>>8905755
Algebra by Gelfand and Shen
Functions and Graphs by Gelfand, Glagoleva, and Shnol
The Method of Coordinates by Gelfand, Glagoleva, and Kirillov
Trigonometry by Gelfand and Saul

Keep at it until you succeed
>>
File: 1494645737687.png (274KB, 670x535px) Image search: [Google]
1494645737687.png
274KB, 670x535px
I'm just doing khan academy...just finished 3rd grade

never realized how much I actually sucked at certain types of word problems when checking out 5th grade material

Its kinda fun
>>
>>8905762
My man Gelfand seems to have the hookup. Cheers anon
>>
>>8905771
I was thinking about using it but I'd get so sick of Sal's voice..
>>
>>8905755
Just pass the tests at your job most calculations will be done by software
>>
>>8906126
To understand is the key though. Any monkey can press buttons on the keyboard according to some formula until you get the result. The true rush is that of solving a problem by yourself. Truly understanding 'why' such a formula works rather than 'how' is where the pleasure lays
>>
>>8906193
if OP cared about that he wouldn't be an engineer
>>
>>8906206
I'm only in Engineering because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I've only recently started to take a real liking to Mathematics and I'm probably going to end up doing something else after I get my MEng
>>
>>8906392
Just get that sweet engineering money/job security and do what you want on your own time.

If you are truly smart you won't need to work more than 7 years anyway.
>>
>>8906126
You still need to understand when or how to use something. Say you run into a problem and the only thing you know is that you want to determine the prime factorization of a number. You should still know what algorithms can be used for that and why one may be more efficient than the other. If your boss hired you, he wouldn't know that himself because he expects you to know
>>
>>8905783
I do the tests first and only watch the videos if I can't solve them or seem to be struggling
>>
>>8906485
Most of the time you'd be doing 3d/2d modeling or diagrams or stuff like that and now days all of that is intuitive and even a high-schooler can do it.
All that math was needed when you designed stuff with pen and paper and needed to calculate everything.
If you like to understand stuff that's your problem but you don't really need it in a typical scenario at your cubical desk job.
>>
>>8905755
try Paul's online math notes
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.