[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gravity and black holes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: grav.jpg (20KB, 504x288px) Image search: [Google]
grav.jpg
20KB, 504x288px
I have two questions. First, is gravity a function of mass or density?

Second, I´ve read that there are types of black holes that one could theoretically fall into and not be spaghettified. If that is accurate, what do you propose one would see/experience while falling in, and what would happen when/if one reached the ¨center¨?
>>
>>8904761
1) Mass
2) Black holes are yet to be proven so that's the end of any discussion within scientific limits you'll ever get.
>>
>>8904767
I know, Im asking for the theoretical idea of what might happen.
>>
>>8904761
Keep in mind thst this is complete speculation, nobody really knows what approaching a black hole would be like, and nobody will ever likely know what it's like entering a black hole.

As you approach the event horizon (The distance to the black hole that would require you to travel at the speed of light to escape the gravitational effects) of black hole, relativistic effects apply. It would be weird. Light would bend around the hole, so you would see things behind it. Time dilation means that what you perceive as normal time is actually very long time for those further from the black hole. You would see their lives and technically all of time pan out in front of you, albeit so warped none of it makes sense, then you'll see only black. That's about it.
>>
>>8904839
But being that you wouldn´t be subject to spaghettification, would you just continuously fall until you died of starvation/dehydration?
>>
>>8904761
1) Non-relativistically, it is dictated by mass. Reletivistically, spacetime geodesics are dictated by energy density, which in turn translates to the geometric concept of gravity.

And no, you would die. Perhaps you're thinking about a rotating black hole, in that a particle may be able to exit the ergosphere, in which case the particle never actually falls in. Or you may be thinking of Hawking Radiation, in which case the particle was never inside of the black hole in the first place.

Hypothetically speaking, if you were inside of a black hole, any light you saw would be light that has been emitted inside of the black hole, and any light emitted at the event horizon would stay there indefinitely.

This is assuming you are in the region between the singularity, and the event horizon. You can examine the maximally extended Shwartzchild solution with these coordinates, which offers insight for all regions of spacetime besides singularities. As it is not well-behaved at singularity (the thick blue line), to ask what happens when you hit the center is simply impossible to answer.
>>
File: IMG_5256.png (568KB, 999x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5256.png
568KB, 999x1024px
>>8904907
Forgot to post this.
>>
>>8904877
I was just writing as if you could fall into a black hole and somehow survive.
Nothing complex can survive a black hole
>>
>>8904761

Brainlet here

I've always wondered why black holes can radiate their energy and seize to exist over time, if time itself stops near their event horizons. Can someone enlighten me?
>>
>>8904946
because of the entropic flow resulting from the vacuum energy in space
>>
>>8904761
>I have two questions. First, is gravity a function of mass or density?
The "force" that you feel depends on the total amount of mass, and the distance to that mass. Density is related, but the gravity "force" is not a direct function of density.

You always get spaghetified when you fall into a black hole (assuming a traditional singularity black hole). The question is whether you get spaghetified before or after crossing the event horizon. For the traditional model, nothing special happens when you cross the event horizon.
>>
Spaghettification is much lower in the really massive black holes, as the forces involved are far more gradual. What happens after the even horizon is an open question however, as there are competing theories on the matter and no way to actually prove anything. If there is what they call a firewall, you're immediately and completely destroyed, end of story. Alternatively there may be some freefall deeper into the abyss, but it's unlikely that there'd be anything to see and any result other than utter destruction. Maybe if you're looking back you'll witness the universe outside quickly arriving at heat death, but I don't imagine any way to interpret it as anything but a ridiculous gamma ray burst.
>>
>>8905504
>Ridiculous gama ray burst, that made me laugh and I don't really know why.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.