[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do l learn math notation? Each time l go into wikipedia l

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1475942377329.png (17KB, 332x227px) Image search: [Google]
1475942377329.png
17KB, 332x227px
How do l learn math notation? Each time l go into wikipedia l feel like seeing moon runes
>>
>>8904104
you learn it along the way
>>
>>8904104
you open a math book
>>
>>8904104
I'm right there with you. Literally google "math notation" and then just run down the google rabbit hole from there.
>>
>>8904104
Approach it like a foreign language, which it is, and immerse yourself in it.
>>
Crack an introductory discrete math book. My course used Epp 11e. There was a guide to the symbols in lay language.
Good luck anon.
>>
>>8904104
Start with logic. It's the basic of math almost all the symbols in your image are covered there. There's obviously lots of symbols that don't occur in pure logic, but it's a good starting point
>>
>>8904149
This and practice -- a lot

In sometime you'll see that the notations also make your notes faster and easier to abbreviate in every subject.
>>
File: 462.jpg (52KB, 473x500px) Image search: [Google]
462.jpg
52KB, 473x500px
>>8904104
I think the picture ment:
[eqn]S\times T = \{\left(x,y\right) | x\in S \wedge y\in T\}[/eqn]
>>
>>8904209
I think the picture ment

S x T := lim F
F : ** ---> Set
where ** is the category with two objects and no non-trivial arrows, and the image of F is S resp. T
>>
>>8904104

Read a book on proofs
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Proofs_and_Mathematical_Reasoning
>>
>>8904104
Literally any intro proof book will teach you how to read the notation in your image. It's not hard at all.
>>
File: Skyrim.jpg (480KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Skyrim.jpg
480KB, 1920x1080px
>>8904104
You learn it at the same pace you start needing it.

One thing to understand is that learning math symbols is a lot like learning words in Dovah: it's not enough to know the symbol, you need to understand what the symbol means and let that knowledge become a part of you. Otherwise the symbol is bloody useless.
Also unless you're the Dragonborn, this will typically take a reasonable amount of time.

The upside is, of course, that every symbol learned is somewhat proportional to how much you know about a subject: to learn set theory symbols is to learn set theory. To learn logic symbols is to learn logic.
You might not be able to shout goats off cliffs with math, but you probably will confuse your mom with the epsilon-delta definition of a limit, so that's still pretty cool, right.

Anyway, don't focus on learning symbols. Focus on learning ideas.
>>
File: 1416151552519.jpg (14KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1416151552519.jpg
14KB, 200x200px
>>8904209
I think the picture meant [math](\lambda x.x+1)5\twoheadrightarrow6[/math]
>>
>>8904110
this. what other reason would you have for learning it?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.