[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just graduated college with a 3.52, does that make me a scrub

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 50TggAq.jpg (30KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
50TggAq.jpg
30KB, 500x500px
Just graduated college with a 3.52, does that make me a scrub in the fields of math and science for grad school? My school is a tier one research university, my program for my field at the grad level is number 4 in the nation.
>>
Name of university?
>>
What is this? Your fucking blog?
>>
>>8904083
>research university

GPA is less important than actually having good research under your belt. 4.0 I'd only really necessary if for some reason you never did any research to compensate
>>
Are you a fucking idiot? Of course it's fine OP. 3.5 is good.
>>
>>8904083
Good luck actually landing a gig.
"Networking" killed me and the 5 years invested.
>>
>>8904397
>No networking
Have fun getting any funding, you autist.
>>
>>8904083
I think if you have some research and good LoRs you might be able to for a masters. PhD would be much more unlikely imo. You could always get masters and then try for PhD tho
>>
>>8904083
3.5 will probably keep you out of the top 20 grad schools in your field (assuming it's a good field like physics or chemistry). If it's something else, you might have a better shot. Note that your program at grad level is not relevant to the quality of your undergrad education. UC Irvine, for instance, is arguably top 10 in the country in theoretical particle physics, but there undergrad physics program isn't well respected.

But as others have said, GPA isn't the only factor--subject GRE can help balance GPA as a # (you'll have to kill it), then you'll need 3 great LoR and lots of research experience (preferably 1+ papers and a few conferences). If you're aiming for a school outside of the top 20, you should be fine if you have a balance of other things. If you have no research experience, you can probably say goodbye to grad school at a decent school (unless you're in a completely worthless subject)
>>
>>8905107
This comment isn't always relevant. For instance, in the US for physics, very few programs offer just a masters, and having only a masters as physics comes as a big red flag. They take people into PhD programs who just get masters en route. Masters is typically more important in shit fields like non-science, and soft sciences like bio
>>
What kind of GPA and experience would I need to get to a top 20 uni for a PhD in mathematics? Pure or applied
>>
>>8905196
Ridic high. They're not taking a lot of people anymore as there's very few positions available...applied you might have a better shot at, but I don't know a whole lot about that field. For pure, you have 0 chance unless you know someone or published something pretty good.
>>
>>8904083
Med schools probably dead for you as well. Just so you know.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.