[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fall Classes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 17

File: 1454444405891.png (1MB, 1664x932px) Image search: [Google]
1454444405891.png
1MB, 1664x932px
What is /sci/ taking next semester?
>>
>>8897422
I'm taking Unit Operations, Senior Design, Materials, and probably a Renewable Energy course.

Should be a good semester.
>>
>>8897422
>>8897422
nothing. i'm fuckin' graduating in 3 days.

but in all seriousness probably an advanced thermal fluid systems course if i am able to start grad school.
>>
Summer:
Gen Ed Lit class
Calc 2

Fall:
Gen Chem 2
Gen Chem 2 Lab
Calc-based Physics 1
Calc-based Physics 1 Lab
Fundamentals of Higher Math
>>
Linear algebra and diffy q at the same time on an 8 week summer term.
>>
>>8897422
It'll be my M.Sc dissertation.
>>
Abstract Algebra I
Real analysis I
Introduction to Theory of Probability

Also gonna take a game theory and biochem class over summer for fun
>>
Biotechnology and Society, Biotechnology: Biosafety; GMP and Intellectual Property; Bioethics; Bionanotechnology; Metabolic Engineering; Glycobiology; Advanced Experimental Macromolecular X-ray Crystallography; and then probably Epigenetics and Cellular Stress, Cell Death and Senescence, but I'm not sure of those last two yet..
>>
Real Analysis
Topology
>>
>>8897422
Algebra 1 (Graduate)
Quantum 1
General Relativity
Intro Programming for Physics
???

Dubs picks my 5th class:
Stat. Mech., Optics, Topology, or Dynamical Systems
>>
>>8897422
is the joke here that he passed of the gaussian integral stuff as his own?
>>
>>8897489
fuck dubs topology is the best math in existence and definitely the greatest on that list.
>>
Intro Field Theory
Group Theory
Standard Model
General Relativity
Quantum Electrodynamics
Quantum Field Theory (I and II)
Cosmology I

should have more math I guess
>>
>>8897422
cal II
>>
>>8897525
You are taking Intro Field theory, Standard Model, QED, QFT 1, and QFT 2 in one semester?

Either thats BS or you are retarded.
>>
>>8897469
Just graduated with a b.s. in math. Real ANALysis sucked. Currently trying to learn it before grad school.
>>
complex analysis I
real analysis II (undergrad)
combinatorics I
object oriented design
>>
Last semester. Finishing up with required gen eds and a math course I withdrew from two years ago. Can you guess what joke of a STEM major I'm in?

// Intro. Literature
// Intro. Geology
// Basic Psychology
// Biology II
// Linear Algebra
>>
>>8897525
Either you are a machine that doesn't need sleep and it willing to dedicate 95% of the hours in a week to school, or you're full of shit.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170424-194146.jpg (319KB, 810x2150px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170424-194146.jpg
319KB, 810x2150px
Going to be a Sophmore in the fall, majoring in EE
>>
>>8897422
Complex Dynamical Systems, Measure Theory, Number Theory, Markov Chains and Differential Geometry
>>
Summer (as in, now):
Spectroscopy (concentration on Organic molecules)
Linear Algebra
Biochemistry 1

Fall Semster:
Inorganic Chem 1
Analytical Chem 1
Physical Chem: Thermodynamics
Object-oriented programming 1

Research in between it all
>>
Multi-variable calculus
Physics III
Probability
Real Analysis I
Arithmetic Theory of Numbers
>>
File: img_1568.jpg (407KB, 1685x1124px) Image search: [Google]
img_1568.jpg
407KB, 1685x1124px
Commutative Algebra
Topology
+
Statistics (first stat course)
Numerical analysis
Python programming

I'll be making a decision after that. Continue with pure mathematics, or do something applied and make money.
>>
>Physical Chemistry I
>Biochemistry I
>Cell Biology
>Intro to Ethics
Having not taken a calculus class in two years, I'm thoroughly preparing my asshole for the destruction it's going to face in PChem
>>
>>8897422
Fall:
Data Structures and Algorithms
Database Development
Web Development
Number Theory
Advanced Piano

Technically finished with my Mathematics Major, looking forward to Number Theory though. Its the only major class I haven't taken.

Will be fulfilling a Computer Science minor next year before graduating. That should be nice as I probably will go into that for a career if I decide not to go to graduate school for mathematics.

Piano will be fun.

>>8897649
>>8897469
Hope yall enjoy Topology, I sure did when I took it.

>>8897559
Just finished a graduate level Real Analysis course. It was without a doubt the most difficult course I've taken. Loved it.
>>
>>8897422
idk until like July
>>
>Quantum Mechanics I
>Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics I
>Advanced Laboratory I
>Optics
>Mechanics of Continuum Media
>>
>>8897649
Will a place really not hire you if you do pure math? Isnt that more impressive
>>
I love philosophy, but the department at my school is pretty bad. Should I even bother?
>>
>>8897649
Oh cool

Theory of Groups
Commutative Algebra
Topology
Numerical Analysis
Modal Logic
>>
>>8897696
Get the fuck off 4chan, you underaged prick.
>>
File: you.jpg (8KB, 157x144px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
8KB, 157x144px
>>8897698
What exactly am I supposed to do for them with pure math?

>hey anon could you write a script to do x and y and collect some data to do z
>no, but let me just show you this sick proof of Jordan's lemma I thought of while taking a fat shit and being completely useless for the company
>also, I looked at all the polynomials that appeared in the engineer's work, and checked whether they were reducible over my favourite polynomial fields!
>>
>>8897705
You could do like algebraic number theory and some arithmetic geometry and then go work for the NSA.
>>
>>8897696
English
Algebra
Social Studies
Science
Gym Class
Lunch
Going into 5th grade btw
>>
>>8897710
I'm not from the U.S, and I'd assume they take in the best of the best. Don't think I could compete.
>>
>>8897705
I just assume that if you can figure out pure math you can figure out applied stuff. You'd know better than me though. But my reasoning was just that a lot of the hedge fund guys were originally pure math guys. They have the applied math monkeys do all their dirty work
>>
>>8897422
>Biochem 1
>Adv. Organic Mechanisms
>Molecular Dynamics & Mechanisms
>Exp. Biology Lab
>Intermediate Spanish

Looking forward to all my chem classes, though it'll be a pain to juggle all of that with two research positions and having to learn fucking Spanish in the meantime
>>
File: r.jpg (197KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
r.jpg
197KB, 1280x1280px
>>8897765
Fair enough. Take my above post with a hint of sarcasm, of course.

>But my reasoning was just that a lot of the hedge fund guys were originally pure math guys.

In a sense, that's what I'm doing. My basis will still be pure math, I will just take applied courses here and there so I know what the fuck I'm doing. Might just take actuary exams, desu.
>>
>>8897705
The ability to work with pure math is stronger than the ability to work in many other fields.

You can talk yourself up in interviews and describe, generally, the ways in which you deal with the highest possible levels of abstraction on a daily basis. And say other stuff along those lines.
>>
>>8897788
I'm study pure math took the first exam in January, it was not fun. Based on this and other things I assume being and actuary is not fun or especially rewarding.

However its nice to know that the actuarial path is something I can fall back on if other things dont work out.
>>
>Riemannian Geometry
>Algebraic topology
>Topics in Algebra and Geometry (it's algebraic surfaces with emphasis on elliptic curves this year)
>Real Analysis III
>Master's project

Am I fucked?
>>
>>8897843
Elliptic curves are algebraic curves not algebraic surfaces.
>>
advanced calc 1
numerical analysis 1
>>
Done with Uni this summer

taking a Hematology class in Fall though, need it to apply to CLS programs in 2018
>>
I'm graduating so I'll be fucking unemployed

>tfw fell for the STEM meme
>>
>soil science
>field geology
>earth surface processes and morphology
>geomaterials
>field studies
>seminar in geology
(last 2 are 1 unit classes)

stoke level: maximum
>>
File: firefox_2017-05-09_23-07-03.png (6KB, 411x159px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2017-05-09_23-07-03.png
6KB, 411x159px
I'm probably going to hate myself next semester

>got a B because I dropped spaghetti and literally froze up during my presentation

Guess we can't hide our autism forever
>>
>>8897604
>Sees that special shade of green, meh
>Glances at address bar, see's BU
What the fuck? Come to CIW and fight me what are you doing right now
>>
>>8897441
easy peasy. i took linear algebra and set theory last summer.
>>
>>8898198
set theory is confusing af
>>
Financial Engineering II
Advanced Statistics
Real Analysis
2nd semester c++ course
2nd Semester Finance course
Heading into fall of junior year
>>
Turbulent flows
Transient pipe flow
CFD
Stochastic processes
>>
Mechanical Properties Materials Lab
Aerospace Structures II
Propulsion
Aerospace Senior Design I
Space Flight Orbital Mechanics
Asian Eats
>>
>>8897433
how do you now know if youre going to grad school yet?
>>
>>8897437
Anon Idk what uni you're at, but those courses sound a lot like my school....you at TTU?
>>
>>8898197
Faggot When
>>
>>8897858
I meant to say curves, I was thinking of surfaces because next year it's Riemann surfaces
>>
quantum 2
thermo
linear 2
and my thesis research
>>
>>8897422
Don't know yet. Start my PhD and can't sign up for classes until I meet with my temporary advisor.
>>
>>8898749
Yet Riemann Surfaces are also algebraic curves.
>>
Sophomore Year NYU

Honors Algebra I
Honors Analysis I
Partial Differential Equations
Compiler Construction or Honors Programming Languages or a Graphics course.

Unsure on the last one, have to pick 2
>>
>>8897649
>ypg and ypj fighters
What did he mean by this?
>>
Calc 3, Discrete Math, Calc Based Statistics, Programming
>>
>>8898886
well i wouldnt know cos i havent taken the course now have i?
>>
>>8897634
what does physics 3 cover at your uni? it seems to be different at different unis
>>
>>8897696
mods get em
>>
>>8898297
Nope, MTSU
>>
>>8897422
HIgher geometry, vector calc, numerical analysis, Lin Alg, PHY II, strengths of materials, Fund of Env Eng, and some English course
>>
>>8897489
Dynamical systems > topolo-gay
>>
>>8898100
Damn I want to pursue a PhD and have all the qualifications to begin one, but I am also just shit at presentations
>>
Going into fall of junior year of EE taking:

Signals and Systems
Electromagnetic Field Theory
EE Lab 1 (twice a week)
Electronics+Circuits 3
Digital Logic Design
Physics 3 Lab (Need this for physics minor and it was not doable along side physics 3 as I had max credit hours then)

Also doing about 10 hours + of undergrad research per week through fall and spring, probably in some power shit but hopefully I can somehow get into a communications or electromagnetics related one.
>>
File: 1488594585909.gif (95KB, 540x1129px) Image search: [Google]
1488594585909.gif
95KB, 540x1129px
>>8897696
>hey guys I'm a HS sophomore taking abstract algebra at a local uni
Well lucky you
Now get out
>>
Business Intelligence I
Marketing Strategy and Consumer Behaviour
Information Project Management
Information Systems Management
Web Marketing and E-Commerce
African studies
>>
>>8898972
>Higher geometry

I don't think that means what you think it means.
>>
Discrete Math
Advanced RUST coding
Algorithms II
Personal Hygiene Colloqium
>>
modern techniques in chemistry
chemical process dynamics and control
transport phenomena 2
some professional development course
>>
Summer:
Discrete Mathematical Structures
Tools of Modern Mathematics (course on R, Octave, MATLAB, Mathematica, and LaTeX)

Fall
Methods of Mathematical Physics
Modern Physics
Optics with Laboratory (Or Nuclear Physics. Haven't decided which. Probably optics though)
Linear Algebra
Intermediate Latin (Caesar, Cicero, a little poetry).
MAYBE: Mathematics course on proof writing. Can't remember the title.

I don't think I can juggle six courses in one semester, though. So next spring I might just jump right into Abstract Algebra and/or Real Analysis as my first introduction to proofs. Though I'll have to squeeze in PDE, Quantumn and AT LEAST one other physics lab for the spring, plus the last language credit.

Any mathfags? Am I going to be really shooting myself in the foot if I have no real experience doing proofs before I take on Abstract or Real? Or do those courses generally teach that process well within their own curriculum?
>>
>>8897489
Dynamical Systems FTW
>>
>>8897489
Dynamical systems.
I go to a small Uni and they only offer Chaos and Dynamical Systems ~ every 2 years. I couldn't take it because of scheduling conflict with a mandatory course for physics major (Chaos only counts as an elective for my mathematics major).

It's a fairly modern adn fascinating field of mathematics with MANY applications. It looks like physics is your focus so applied mathematics courses will be more useful for you. I'm doing physics and maths and just have a boner for Dynamical systems and stochastic analysis and major blue balls since I got locked out of the course this year, and possibly won't be able to get it all before I graduate.
>>
>>8897489
Dynamical systems is the obvious answer
>>
How do american universities structure their academic year? I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere, here it's from march to july and then july to december
>>
>>8899054
Aug - Dec
Jan - late April or early May

Classes are offered between spring and fall in an accelerated summer term, but not between fall and spring.
>>
>>8899062
I see, both hemispheres have vacations in summer (with optional short term). Thanks for clearing it up
>>
>>8897489
rolling for GOAT tier statistical mechanics
>>
>>8897422
Act Sci/Data Analytics here

Statistical Modeling and Data Analysis
Life Insurance Mathematics
Intro to C++ & Java
Data Mgmt for Business Analysis
Organizational Behavior
Marketing Principles

(Last three are required by the business school and will certainly make me want to an hero)
>>
Intro to PDE's
Math Rigor
Vector Calc
Mechanics
Advanced Physics Lab

Should be fun.
>>
Real analysis 2.1, algebra 1 and topology
>>
>>8897489
Dynamical systems, will force you to learn topology anyway.
>>
Intro to ChemE (bs required major class)
Organic Chem 1
Thermo 1
Fluid Mechanics
Linear Algebra

frontloading my fall semester so that I can focus on Organic 2 and Thermo 2 second semester
>>
>>8897422
Honors Analysis in R^n
Intro to CS I
History of European Civilization

This analysis class is gonna anal me for sure. Supposedly 25+ hours of work a week.
>>
Calc 2
Discrete math
Mechanics+ phys lab
Programming 2
>>
>>8899176
>will force you to learn topology anyway
Well I've had a course on Smooth Manifolds. So I already know all the fundamentals. The Topology course would pretty just be for Homotopy and Simplicial Homology.
>>
>>8897489
topology
>>
>>8899259
that leaves you with 15 hours for intro to CS and history of european civ.
assuming you want a normal working weak.

Think you can manage 2 humanities classes in 15 hours a week?
>>
>>8897489
Take both Topology and Dynamical Systems, Graduate algebra can be learned in month from a book like lang's or DF so you really don't need to take it. If you're still dead set on taking Gradaute algebra then take dynamical systems, there are plenty of nice and readable books on algebraic topology like like hatcher, bott and tu, tom dieck, bredon, may, fulton, hell fomenko has some good stuff, a book called homotopical topology, take your pick. I was inclined to recommend Stats mech, but depending on the level it might require more knowledge of quantum than you might have, considering you're taking quantum now.
>>8897525
Why are you taking multiple classes that heavily require knowledge of field theory without already knowing field theory? Also, not learning group theory before taking a course on the standard model? That shit requires at least a basic understanding of group theory. If you wanna get a head start over the summer Zee has a new group theory book aimed at physics students. For field theory and the like landau lifshitz are good, along with padmanabhans books, and maybe Zees gravity book. Misner is also very thorough and assumes you know no differential geometry, a mastery of which is core to working in GR.
>>
>>8899297
Sometimes dynamical systems have kind of weird topological behaviour, and you don't necessarily need to work on a smooth manifold. Also, I second this >>8899380 , since it is really easier to learn topology or algebra from a book in comparison with dynamical systems.
>>
>>8899380
>>8899391
Yes it is easy to learn algebra from a book, I already have. But taking graduate algebra (1 and later 2) will look good when applying to grad school.
>>
>>8899396
Then I would take dynamical systems as it is kind of uncommon, i.e. from my experience people who take algebra usually take (algebraic) topology classes. The latter, just like ring theory, and homological algebra (which courses 1 and 2 will likely cover), requires basically diagram chasing till you drop. DS needs more analytic and set-theoretic topology stuff, so it will give you experience in other proof-flavours.
>>
>>8897604
your schedule is autistic as fuck. Is that also a dinner break or something for CS211?
>>
File: IMG_0914.png (640KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0914.png
640KB, 640x1136px
>>8898736

Third party BU poster here. Just wandered Bartle for half an hour trying to find a desk. Just going to study in my room in mtnview because there's too many stacies in the study lounge chatting it up with their hdev majors.
>>
>>8899396
Fair enough, are there any other grad courses you can take besides algebra? Something that looks better than graduate algebra is graduate analysis, though depending on the workload of the other classes that may not be advisable. Grad analysis is also something that is considerably more difficult to learn on your on than say, algebra or topology, plus Barry Simon has a new 5 volume book series on analysis that's fantastic so far, a good alternative to folland, rudin, or royden (personally I never had much trouble from these books, but other people have said that they can be difficult to work with, so take your pick, be warned that royden has quite a lot of typos). If you really have mastered basic algebra then you could ask the math department head to allow you to take more advanced courses like commutative algebra, algebraic geometry, special topics in algebra (if they have any of these courses) that would look very good for grad school, I'm doing something similar by taking courses on the representation theory of infinite groups and scattering theory ala reed/simon. If there are any other grad classes you want to take besides algebra I don't mind giving my input, but if you really want to take that class then my advice is the same as my previous answer, go with dynamical systems and self study topology.
>>
>>8897696
We know you are bullshitting. You are taking fucking Junior year college courses as a High Schooler in your 2nd year?
>>
>>8899439
In the past 3 semesters I've take Undergrad Analysis 1&2, Grad Complex Analysis, PDEs, and Smooth Manifolds (which was like half analysis, half topology).

So I am gonna give myself a break to branch into other subjects before I take Grad Real Analysis.
>>
>>8899332
don't have much of a choice. So I guess yes.
>>
Cyanide pills
>>
>>8899463
What about taking special topics or advanced courses that only require algebra (algebraic geometry and the like)? Also what is the level of the dynamical systems course? I ask because I took a grad level dynamical systems course my sophomore year and it required more measure theory than I knew and I had to self study a bit to catch up. Also I'm not saying grad algebra is a bad choice, it's basically the easiest of the grad courses, but if you already know it, you might as well move to the more advanced (and frankly cooler) math that builds off of it, like various topic in commutative and noncommutative algebra (these span the fields of number theory, geometry, hell even combinatorics and quantum, one example is hopf algebras, it shows up in all the mentioned fields). You could also take functional analysis, it's pretty easy, only requires topology, but incredibly useful as it forms the foundation of quantum mechanics and PDEs, also from there you can spring board off into operator algebras, noncommutative geometry, and heavy theoretical physics like qft, some parts of string theory, scattering theory, and condensed matter physics.
>>
>>8899482
>What about taking special topics or advanced courses that only require algebra

I'm not sure the department would let me take them with no coursework in algebra (besides linear algebra). I am already skipping undergrad algebra.

>Also what is the level of the dynamical systems course

Upper-level undergrad. No measure theory.

>You could also take functional analysis

Functional Analysis here has grad real analysis 2 as a prereq. (also it isn't offered next semester)
>>
>>8897594
Cognitive science.
>>
File: JUST.jpg (44KB, 374x363px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
44KB, 374x363px
Medicinal Chemistry
Parasitology
Cell Culture Techniques
General Physics I
Some foreign language (trying to decide between German, French, and Chinese)
Continuing my independent Study in B. anthracis genetics

>mfw also have to apply to microbiology PhD programs
Wish me luck lads
>>
>>8899435
O shit you're in MV? Which building? Marcy here
>>
>>8898978
I think the best way to get good at presentations is to go to conferences and watch how people present, what differentiates a good one from a bad one, etc.
I went from bombing speeches to nailing them that way
>>
>>8899514
In that case grad algebra is probably your best bet. What's a bit strange to me is that the dynamical systems class doesn't have measure theory as a prereq, are they going over it at all? Cause how are they going to talk about anything related to ergodic theory then? It might make more sense if it's dynamical systems at the level of strogatz, which would be a nice course to broaden ones horizons outside of pure math, also has many useful applications in other fields of science. It might also be closer related to the basics of stochastic processes, which again, is useful. I also remember you said something about taking an intro to programming class, is that one necessary? But from the looks of it grad algebra and dynamical systems are you best bet, self study topology, hell maybe you could just audit the topology class, sit in on the class ad what not, if anything that'd result in the net benefit of having another teacher impressed with your merit and drive while also learning the material, and if you ever wanna take a class that has algebraic topology as a prereq then that teacher can vouch for you. It might also result in a decent letter of req for your third writer or one of the five needed to apply from some awards like the nsf graduate award
>>
>>8899435
Another BU poster here. Bartle is a hellhole this time of year. Not worth going. Once finals get thoroughly underway, the smell of non-showering students who sleep there pervades the fucking place.
>>
Probability over the summer. Then, in the fall: Dynamical Systems, Group Theory, a special topics course on NP-completeness, and Materials and Civilization for the gen-ed credits. Might also take Intermediate Real Analysis or something.
>>
File: 1474453717203.jpg (54KB, 634x487px) Image search: [Google]
1474453717203.jpg
54KB, 634x487px
>tfw graduated with a bachelors in comp sci a week ago and going into software development worried I'll become a glorified assembly worker bc I'm lazy as fuck and underperform in the workplace

maybe I'll just go back and get my masters after all
>>
>>8899545
>are they going over it at all? Cause how are they going to talk about anything related to ergodic theory then?

They probably won't.

> intro to programming class, is that one necessary?

Both majors have a CS requirement, so I need to at some point. But I guess not necessarily next semester.

>hell maybe you could just audit the topology class, sit in on the class

I could do that
>>
>>8899637
Yeah, I've never had a teacher say no to me auditing the class, as long as you aren't a disruption then nothing's wrong. Worth mentioning that a course in diff geo is usually helpful before going into GR since some of the computations can be a nightmare without practice. Mostly keeping track of your christoffel symbols but still a pain.
>>
Stochastic Analysis and Functional Analysis
>>
>>8899645
Well I have had a course in Smooth Manifolds and Riemannian Geometry isn't far off. School only offers a course in Riemmanian Geometry during the spring and I didn't satisfy the prereqs prior to this spring.
>>
Biology I
Biology I lab
English comp I
Intro to environmental science
Intro to environmental science lab
Some liberal arts class about nature

Starting uni in the fall. Any advice?
>>
>>8899650
It might be worth it to check out kuhnels differential geometry book or maybe look at the first few chapters of misners GR book (which contains all the diff geo you need for GR), just to make sure you know what's coming and see if there's anything unfamiliar. I say this cause there are some important differences in studying smooth manifolds and riemannian geometry, mostly coming from the computational aspects, in GR you're going to need to know how to use tensors, among other things, like the back of your hand.
>>
>>8899651
Don't procrastinate. Sleep well. Eat healthy food.
>>
General Chem I, Calc I, and College Writing. Should I use my AP English credits on this gay ass writing class?
>>
>>8899651
go harder pleb
>>
Integrals
Numeric and algebraic procedures
Extended differential and integral calculus
Electromagnetism
Matter and Radiation
[math]:\hat{})[/math]
>>
Anyone got advice for an undergrad chem major at Umass Amherst who hasn't taken AP Calc or Chem?
>>
>>8899651
Are you a bio major? If so I'm assuming you are environmental/ecological oriented, yes?
>>
Third semester CompE, taking my first "real" eng. courses this semester and about to finish up the last of the common "core engineering" classes with chem.

Differential Equations
Data Structs and Algorithms
Logic Design
Gen Chem (trying to take this over the summer to replace with philosophy)

What should I be looking for in advanced math as I go on? I already have calculus through multivariable, proof-based linear algebra, and will be taking DiffEQ this semester.
>>
>>8899676
>>8899692
y-you too.

>>8899757
No, I'm an environmental science major.
>>
>>8897422
I don't get it
>>
>>8899889
same bro, don't fuck up
>>
I'll be studying in germany

>Circuits w/ lab
>Statics
>'Methods of Applied Mathematics'
>E&M
>theology (no bully pls).

Easy semester since I will be abroad and want to do other stuff.
>>
File: ENM.jpg (1MB, 2314x2305px) Image search: [Google]
ENM.jpg
1MB, 2314x2305px
>>8899912
Also german language, almost forgot.
>>
>>8897422
Im a physics undergrad. Ill be taking three courses really:

Graduate Quantum Field Theory I
Graduate Astrophysics (Taught by a Nobel Laureate)
German I

It will be a very laid back semester here.
>>
>distributed computing systems
>intelligent computing systems
>technical communication
>advanced music theory
>>
>>8898293
he's full of shit, you never know until you walk in on the first day of classes and the professors draw names to see whoe made the cut
>>
>Intro to quantum mechanics
>Intro to analysis I
>Intro to numerical methods
>Seminar in mathematics
>>
>>8900193
>intro to analysis I
>seminar in mathematics
freshman and senior class together ???
>>
>Cryptology
>Diff Eq + Matrix Math
>Computer Graphics (programming, not design)
>Information System Security
hoping it keeps my attention
>>
File: friendlyanal.jpg (33KB, 469x648px) Image search: [Google]
friendlyanal.jpg
33KB, 469x648px
>>8900211
I don't know a thing about analysis because we don't touch on it until the last year but this is the text we use
>>
>>8897489
topology
>>
>>8897489
topology

my area
>>
>>8897489
topology go go go
>>
>>8897489

topology, very abstract math, will give you the math skills of abstraction and autism
>>
File: LA kings.jpg (66KB, 661x393px) Image search: [Google]
LA kings.jpg
66KB, 661x393px
>>8897422

Business Proposals
Structures
Geotechnical Engineering
Human Sexuality
Geology

Easy ass semester for me
>>
>>8900222
why the fuck do they do this in the US? analysis in the very last year?

the means you had no chance to ever do linear programming, complex analysis, geometry, etc etc

never heard of that book either, looks fishy
>>
File: maths_progression.jpg (544KB, 848x2494px) Image search: [Google]
maths_progression.jpg
544KB, 848x2494px
>>8900243
>>
>>8897422
Mock me,
But what does that picture even mean
>>
File: 1487451162908.gif (537KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1487451162908.gif
537KB, 480x270px
>>8900280
>>
>>8900280
it's an autism awareness PSA
>>
Just started a semester of
Ordinary Differential Equations w/ Linear Algebra
Physics I
Discrete Mathematics
Computer Architecture
Required Religion Course

Over the summer I've got
gen-ed research writing class
gen-ed American History class
gen-ed world history class

This fall I'm hoping to take
Electric Circuit Analysis II
Chem I
Microprocessor Based System Design
Discrete Mathematics II
gen-ed world history class part 2
>>
>>8897422
hopefully not the same classes I'm taking now
>>
>>8900290
I feel like all the people not getting that are in fact autistic.
>>
>Calculus 2
>Calculus-based physics 1
>Physics lab
>Cell Physiology
>Cell lab
>Psychology
>Research Credit
Easy no?
>>
>>8900290
Are the variables supposed to make a sentence
Or form a link to a PSA
or what
>>
>>8900382
is that all one term?
>>
>>8900382
Calc 2 is easy
Calc Based Physics is known as "Intro to using a formula sheet"
Youll be fine.
>>
>>8900388
It's all one term.
>>8900392
I don't know how to respond.
>>
>>8900398
looks good to me
I wouldn't call it easy but doable
psych is easy af
>>
>>8900388
4 lower division classes, 2 with labs, and probably a 1 credit research class? not even a heavy term, m8
>>
>>8900385

The point is that the guy is sperging out over his professor and the pdf when he could have just looked it up somewhere or just not cared because it didn't matter

Also see
>>8900370
>>
Cryptography
Game Design and Development
Theory of Database Management
Machine Learning
Putnam seminar

I finished my math degree early and dunno what I feel like taking in the spring. Taking comp sci for fun now. I was thinking about taking some economics classes or something. Any recommendations?
>>
geometry major here

PDE
Functional Analysis II
Rings and Modules
Algebraic Topology Seminar
maybe some physics class because need credits
>>
>>8900406
>it didn't matter
You try taking linear algebra without proofs when you wanted to take linear algebra with proofs smdh
>>
>>8897489
roll for topologie
>>
>>8897489
>>8900900
ayyyy you better choose topology you fucking cunt
>>
first year financial math PhD student

>MAD5403 Foundations of Computational Math, I
>MAP5601 Intro to Financial Mathematics
>MAA5406 Complex Analysis, I
>MAT5939 Financial Math Proseminar

taking measure theory and integration in the spring; that should be fun
>>
File: graduation-cap.jpg (33KB, 610x458px) Image search: [Google]
graduation-cap.jpg
33KB, 610x458px
>>8897422
Nothing
>>
>>8897489
topology and its not even close
>>
>>8900900
Well I guess I have to take Topology.
>>
bio orgo some writing course and whatever else i can get into

but i think i might want to be a lawyer so i don't know why i'm intentionally crashing my gpa with no survivors w/ orgo
>>
>>8897422
>Sophomore at UNR
Chinese I
Organic Chemistry
Introduction to Cellular Biology
Ethics of Biology Lab
Some meme history class we need to take to graduate
>>
Number Theory
Combinatorics
Math in the City
Intro to Regression Analysis
Spanish 202
>>
I'll be beginning my Master's in Theoretical Physics.
Oh how I've been waiting for this day
>>
>>8900900
GETTO DESS
>>
Digital System Design
Communication Systems
Operating System Architecture
Professional Practice and the Business Environment
>>
>>8897422
English Lit SL
Danish B HL
Mathematics HL
Physics HL
Economics SL
Chemistry HL
>>
CS 211 - Computer Science II
CS 231 - Assembly Language and Digital Circuits
MATH 270 - Basic Discrete Math
PSCI - US Government & Politics
>>
>>8897422
Summer:
Animal Behavior Lab (Writing my first professional paper for publishing)
American Gov

Fall:
Entomology w/ Lab
Physics 1 w/ Lab
Evolutionary Biology
Organic Chem Lab
>>
>>8902225
>intentionally crashing my gpa with no survivors w/ orgo
Orgo isn't that bad man, just do your fucking book work. Many people get lazy, don't keep up, and fail which is why its so infamous since it weeds out the weak.
>>
>>8902694
This. Orgo is easy. The modern course is pretty much designed to show beginning students how just a handful of simple, intuitive concepts can rationalize and predict an immense amount of organic reactivity.
The one fatal mistake is trying to memorize everything without understanding it. Get at the principles behind the reactions and you won't have any trouble. Some stuff (say, cycloadditions) might not be explained satisfyingly from first principles, but you can still identify simple rules to follow.
Fleming's book on frontier orbitals treats this quite rigorously and unifies all the material you'd deal with at a fairly abstract, general level, so check that out if you're interested. It's a detailed sketch of the "general principles" rather than the how-to guide on applying them you'd expect in intro orgo, kind of like undergrad analysis vs calculus. You'll love it if you're a "math person" and have seen orgo before, and it's a nice transition into QM if you ever want to do that (did you know that "electron pushing" can be viewed as merely a convenient shorthand for the qualitative behavior of waves?)
Thread posts: 182
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.