[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A person has a lungful of air and they need to travel as far

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: research.jpg (34KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
research.jpg
34KB, 655x527px
A person has a lungful of air and they need to travel as far as possible on that one breath.

Would a person get further walking, or running?
>>
idk, why dont u go outside and test it yourself?
>>
>>8892630
yes

t. logician
>>
>>8892630
no

t. smarter logician
>>
>>8892630
maybe

t. smarterer logician
>>
>>8892630

depends

t. smartererer logician
>>
>>8892813
its trivial

t. smarterererer logician
>>
Well I know turtles are slow because they adapted to low-oxygen environments, so walking would probably be a more efficient use of that one breath and theoretically take you farther.
>>
do humans get the most energy out of oxygen over a day? serious question.
>>
>>8892630
Walking is a more efficient use of energy per distance than running, but your brain needs a steady supply of oxygen to work so you better fucking run bro
>>
>>8892630

>walking
200 METS

>running
1000 METS

Metabolic ratio 0.2

Mean walking speed 2.5mph
Mean running speed 7.5mph

Pls help
>>
File: jewsthemovie.jpg (27KB, 552x667px) Image search: [Google]
jewsthemovie.jpg
27KB, 552x667px
>>8892630
>
How about swimming? What is the best technique for the farthest swim in motionless, pure waters completely submerged with a single inhale?
>>
>>8892709
The comma before the or ruined your answer. Sorry.

t. Comp eng
>>
>>8892630
air run inside a car while someone else drives the car = win, you mad?
>>
You'll start to feel pressure at about the same time so long as you're at rest before the experiment. Running or walking won't weigh heavily on your breathing unless you're well into cardio. I would wager that running will get you further on one breath.
>>
File: 1494101653501.jpg (19KB, 540x340px) Image search: [Google]
1494101653501.jpg
19KB, 540x340px
>>8892630
repeat the question
t. smartererererer logician
>>
>>8893999
>Well I know turtles are slow because they adapted to low-oxygen environments
I always assumed they were slow cause they had no reason to be fast.
>>
>>8892699
This! Test! Do! Observe! Report!
>>
>>8893999
So what you're really saying is that we could hook up pure oxygen respirators to turtles and race them?

Considering an average turtle can go ~4mph at 20% oxygen(air), what sort of speeds are we looking at at 100% O2 or is there some limiting factor?

What if instead of O2, we use ozone, O3?
>>
>>8892630
Where is the line drawn on the spectrum between walking and running?

t. Mechanical engineer
>>
>>8894192
Of course swimming is slower idiot
>>
>>8894817
Give me a linear regression comparing the oxygen use per km from 2km/hr up to the subject limits and report back with the optimal stage.

(technically, running is when you no longer have at least one foot on the ground at all times)
>>
>>8894817
The vertex of the function describing the rate of acceleration between being stopped and sprinting at top speed

t. physics student
>>
>>8894866
You're incorrect

t. correct person
>>
File: 41-rolling-down-the-hill[1].jpg (78KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
41-rolling-down-the-hill[1].jpg
78KB, 480x360px
the most efficient method is rolling downhill

t. Logicius, destroyer of worlds
>>
>>8894858
>implying jumping on one foot is "running"
>implying walking on your elbows and knees is "running"
>implying gallopping, skipping, and frog jumping is "running"

your definition is incomplete
>>
Walking.

When you run, you use energy to move vertically.

However an elevated heartrate is pretty important as well and stress might psychologically impact your journey.

So theoretically if you can get your heartrate at an optimum level and relax your mind enough to hold your breath for a super long time, the difference will be quite noticeable.
>>
>>8894817
It's walking as long as one foot is on the ground at all times.
>>
>>8894755
What if we were to compress the ozone so the canistor has 10000% more ozone in it. By my calculations that should make the turtle go 15000 times faster (1.5x more oxygen in O3 compared to O2) so would be going at a total velocity of 60000 mph.

t. 190 IQ qualified tortoise scientist.
>>
>>8892630

Running, 100% guaranteed. I've tested this myself while jogging.

t. High school drop out
>>
>>8892630
Falling
>>
Running is more efficient for the same speed than walking fast.
>>
>>8894728
Turtles have natural predators, so they do have good reason to go fast.
>>
>>8892630
Running.

I've done this before. In fact my cross country training used holding your breath and counting as a training technique. Then when you run the race, you breath normally and have larger lung capacity and better use of oxygen. Your body will eat up the oxygen at almost identical rates if you are walking or running, but you can cover a shit load more distance running than walking and holding your breath.
>>
>>8892630
kill yourself and go to heaven with that breath of air
>>
>>8892709
hahaha
>>8892717
hahahaha
>>8892800
hahahahaha
>>8892813
hahahahahaha
>>8893970
hahahahahahaha

ahahahahahahahahhahaha
ahahahahhahaahahhaahhahaaha
all me
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.