[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ivy on street lights to reduce

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: ivystreet.png (229KB, 1483x626px) Image search: [Google]
ivystreet.png
229KB, 1483x626px
So this is a little bit of an unusual thread I imagine. I'm not a frequent of /sci/ but just had an idea in regards to reducing street pollution in urban areas and wanted to consult your thoughts on the idea.
The idea is quite simple. Urban areas are seeing ever growing and record high amounts of street pollution and green plants are known to reduce this pollution. Sadly in a lot of urban areas already built up not much space is available to insert new plant beds but there are always every so many metres apart a street light. Would encouraging a plant which can track up vertical surfaces such as ivy offer a good method of lowering pollution as the lights will act as a canvas for the plant to grow and interjecting the otherwise bland concrete area with much needed greenery. Of course there are factors to consider such as the ability to grow up the metal light structure, whether it would pose major risk to the lights integrity and if the ivy or said plant could feasibly survive and thrive in that basic environment as well as management of ensuring the plant doesn't obscure the light as well - the sole purpose of it being their in the first place.

Like I said just wondering what your opinions and thoughts on the concept are.
>>
>>8887477
>it would pose major risk to the lights integrity
>>
Somebody would need to go around and trim them all the time to make sure they didn't cover the light itself, and the root structure might break up the cement. Overall not a bad idea though
>>
>>8887477
Not a bad idea, but you'd need to find cities with the extra budget to plant them. Also, what >>8887518 said. It'd mean having an extra part timer on the city's payroll (or at least extra hours for a maintenance worker).
>>
>>8887477
How much does ivy reduce pollution relative to just having less cars on the road?
>>
>>8887534
>>
>>8887508
That's the major fear
>>8887518
The concrete aspect is a very good point out as wasn't something I had considered. Also there is the employee cost of management but the UK faces major fines for the cities being too high in air pollution so if this idea was a potential success the overall investment could appear minuscule in size while offering residents more greenery that could equally provide boosts in mental health
>>8887534
It's hard to find exact numbers because everywhere I look varies both in plants, in numbers and in surface area covered. It would be something to run alongside initiatives to try and reduce road traffic however in many built up areas such as the UK where I live populations are growing more and more and having to use the same few roads to commute to work and back. Sadly a few years back I remember an initiative to try get people to grow Ivy on their homes but it was met with very little enthusiasm. With street lights this is something councils themselves could manage without need to seek a helpful residency.
>>
>>8887547
ivy doesn't have a lot of biomass so it's not going to sequester a lot of carbon
it may not do a whole lot of good for the air unless it can filter out other pollutants (heavy metals, ozone etc)
>>
Why not just reduce the number of ICE vehicles on the road?
>>
>>8887552
Searching specifically in regards to English Ivy the only repeated uses of cleaning are chemical such as benzene, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, xylene and toluene though as to the efficiency it is left unsaid and the sources are that best representative of blogs about indoor house plants.

>>8887556
Ideally and eventually end goal but there is currently not a great deal being done about it. This was more an idea to search just as a complimentary method of air pollution reduction
>>
>>8887477
Roads need to be actively removed and rual populations need to re concentrate, sub urbs and cities primary focus should be self sufficiency, reorganization, and infrastructure/property reform we need ecological landscapes to survive, what isn't gone already is declining and complex living/earth systems as an interactive whole are in degraded disorder. Also the fucking climate is destabilizing, in the middle of a mass extinction. Radical social change is the only way to hope. We are disenfranchised from our 'democratic' institutions, we are taught to be complacent and credulous, the little we are taught. Open discussion of our problems, and the solutions are our only way to change the zeitgeist, gud jab op. We need land and agrarian reform, we need liberty and the end of privatized capital. Only anarchism makes sense to me
>>
>>8887566
look up "phytoremediation" specifically for air pollution
>>
>>8887583
Thank you, is being a big help in actually finding relevant information saving me the repetition of "Sleep next to an ivy plant"

>>8887576
The issues are indeed insurmountable however assuming the social climate is to be relatively similar in a decades time to today in terms of structure and order it's probably best not to just give up and put your eggs in one basket on the hopes of societal collapse and reign of anarchism which would undoubtedly be short lived before authoritarianism out performed and squashed anarchism by higher efficiency and better discipline leaving us in a hell hole of a situation. Admittedly polarization is occurring across the western world but polarization is one prior to many steps in the unraveling of society. As such continuing to try and think of means to contribute a little to resolve modern day issues could eventually equate to a lot.
>>
>>8887477
That's quite a fire hazard brah
>>
>>8887547
Well if you can't find actual numbers then it's just baseless speculation
>>
>>8887477
That's an interesting idea OP.
>>
>>8888567
I wonder if there is a place one speculate on such a thing
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.