[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys I decided I want to get a degree in Physics > I just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Getsmurtur.jpg (36KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
Getsmurtur.jpg
36KB, 655x527px
Guys I decided I want to get a degree in Physics

> I just completed my first year at uni for biochem and compsci and got a 3.1

> I moved into the double major for Physics and Comp Sci

I'm wondering how hard it'll be to try and get a 4.0 for my physics classes. I didn't do that well in AP Physics (algebra), but we had a shit teacher who never had taught before

I understand calc pretty well (Calc I & II = B+), so I feel calc based physics will be easier, but I am still worried. Should I pick up a book over the summer and learn everything I can?

> Also, what are the job outlooks for physics?
idk what I want to specialize in obviously but I like computers and shit and reading about theoretical physics, although I know doing physics is a lot different than reading about it

Someone tell me something about their experience as a physics major or something I want to hear what it's like
>>
>>8884844
>> I moved into the double major for Physics and Comp Sci

Get rid of CompSci and do EE, CpE, or Mathematics instead.
>>
>>8884851

I forgot to mention I am getting a minor in math too
>>
>>8884844
Ignore anyone who tries to meme you into dropping comp sci, trust me.

Also, Physics is fucking cancer.
>>
>>8884861

but why? I took chemistry and really liked the more abstract physics ideas so I thought it would be a good idea
>>
>>8884844

With your grades, I highly suggest that you consider simply dropping to a single major. From what it sounds like, you don't really have the time or ability to do what it takes in order to get your grades where they should be with so many requirements in front of you.

Slow down, determine what it is specifically you want to do or study, and then concentrate on doing your best in that area.
>>
>>8884861
>>>/g/tfo
>>
>>8884844
My friend and I are both STEM majors, im in CS and took the algebra physics and he had to take the calc based one (i've finished my calcs though).

To me it seems like both courses cover nearly identical information. Physics is definitely different than pure calc in the sense that it just proves how we derived all the formulas we use in physics. Still use the same formulas and solve the same problems, so you'll be fine if you are already done with calc I and II
>>
>>8884844
There are no jobs for physics. Physics should be renamed pre-physics. It's only a path to get into grad school. Even then, there are no jobs for physics grad students unless you are the top 1% of your class and go to a competitive university. Then, you might have a shot at academia. That's about it. If you get lucky, you can recycle yourself into finance or a shitty IT/programming job (if you bothered learning any computer skills) that you could have gotten years ago anyway. Who the fuck do you think pay real money to people because they learned useless shit about muons and other nonsense? If you find a job after a bachelor in physics, it will have nothing to do with actual physics.
>>
>>8884877

Physics 1 has very little calculus in it as they expect you to be taking calculus at the same time.
>>
>>8884868

Yea I don't want to get burnt out, but I've been lazy these past two semesters and I feel like I can work a lot harder than I have
>>
>>8884886

I still stand by my original suggestion. Prove that you can work hard enough to do well in one major before you try to take on two + a minor.
>>
>>8884889

The minor requires me to take linear algebra and one more math class so it isn't that bad.

I just don't know what I want to do so I'm trying to maximize my options. The comp classes have been easy so far so it doesn't seem too bad

I just don't want to drop classes at this point, but you may be right if I want to consider grad school
>>
>>8884881
>physics
>useless shit
What about the Manhattan Project?
>>
>>8884844
physics isn't really a great degree unless you continue with graduate studies, especially if you go to a mediocre university.

I'd suggest considering chemE with a minor in compsci. This will allow you to use the courses you've taken already and will be in what I presume are your target fields (chem, math, physics, and CS). There is a huge need for chemical engineers who're proficient at programming. Engineering physics is also an option if they offer it at your school. I think you should drop the double major, though, desu. Your grades aren't really that great and they're not actually looked on that favorably by most companies and grad programs. They'd rather see specialization, and a 3.7-4.0 with a single major is infinitely better than a 3.1 with a double major.
>>
>>8884844
>Guys I decided I want to get a degree in Physics
Fuck off to pol with you're pepe shit.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.