[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best High School Program?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: ib.png (49KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
ib.png
49KB, 250x251px
Hey, Canadafag here, my little bro is in grade 10 now and he wants to do something useful for grade 11 and 12. He's smart but doesnt really want to do shit. I think he got tested for 135IQ, so he has a bunch of schools and programs that would take him. Right now he's looking at AP, and IB. He wants to do IB but he's not sure if it's worth it for university. Any IB grads here that can vouch for it's usefulness for uni applications, and curriculum?
>>
Ib is shit in the sense that they try to teach you "advanced topics" but in a really shit way. At least for science and math. It is challenging though, and if you do well it can aid you if you want to go to college, though it's not that useful in the U.S. But well, all highschool education sucks so just tell him to focus so he can enter a good uni and that he should suck up.
>>
>>8884729
>my little bro is in grade 10 now and he wants to do something useful for grade 11 and 12.
Protip: you are fooling exactly 0 people into thinking you aren't the tenth grader
>>
>>8884938
I highly doubt so. What tenth grader would unironically lurk /sci/?
>>
IB is a complete waste of time in the United States unless you are SPECIFICALLY going for an out-of-country college or one of the very few that give a shit domestically.

Most colleges put IB credits on the same level as AP credits, and you usually need to get a high score such as a 6 or 7 to get it counted.

The higher standards for a single college credit combined with all the extra bullshit you have to get done like TOK, 150 CAS hours, and the extended essay make IB a waste of time in comparison to focusong on AP tests and the SAT/ACT.

t. IB student going to graduate in a few weeks.
>>
Have him go to one of the better high schools in your area and have him take whatever AP classes they offer. Get him to dual enroll at a local cc/uni too since you can take far more credits that way.
>>
I am so glad this shit is now the past.

JFC

your bro should go for IB if he wants to spend 2 years working his ass off so he can be on equal footing as normal high schoolers

it's harder to get into UNI, it just is
>>
>>8885167
I respectfully disagree.
Going through the IB program, although considerably more difficult than the respective AP scores, allowed me to be in a better position to apply to colleges by my senior year. More community service, teaching my just how much I can procrastinate on my Extended Essay, and just being used to the heavier courseload has helped me tons in college.

Basically, I'm parroting what this guy said: >>8885287
desu, I'm about average with respect to the people around me, and if I hadn't been in IB, I would easily be well in the lower half.
>>
>>8885166
I do, his and sci are the only ones I frequent
>>
>>8885287
agree with this poster.
I am also Canadian and did IB, was honestly harder to get into university and the higher level material you learn, you learn in any decent Canadian university anyway. So if you do IB, all it does is make you bored as fuck in first year classes. Some places allow the transfer but there's honestly not much of a point to that since you won't be graduating much earlier anyway
>>
>>8884729
It´s pretty much a waste of time if you plan to go through IB just for the curriculum.
Most universities only consider your IB diploma if you score above 40 (out of 45), which is basically spending all of your time doing stupid shit that won´t even help you (Like TOK, CAS, and all the internal assessments).
I did IB and I certainly dont regret it, mainly because of the skills you end up developing (like bullshiting an entire essay in one night) but I would not recommend it.
It takes a serious amount of time.
>>
Just do the AP tests and get credits that way. Don't even bother to do the classes, if he's at a school that isn't conplete shit, he'll get most stuff in the regular classes and then self-learn what little more he needs.
Canada as well, did AP, knew a fair bit of people who did IB as well. It honestly isn't really worth it, as long as he's not a brainlet he can get into any program regardless, and by that point it doesn't matter anymore. AP tests for those forst year credits is what the goal should be.
>>
>>8885166
>>8885720
same, underage here and I lurk constantly on /sci/ and sometimes goto /his/.
>>
>>8885720
>>8888424
MODS MODS MODS
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.