[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting planets in a telescope manually. + Astronomy thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Moon.jpg (34KB, 485x448px) Image search: [Google]
Moon.jpg
34KB, 485x448px
HTF do you do this shit? Moon is easy cause it's huge( I recommend it, it's beautiful as fuck), same goes with sun. But a planet? That shit is hard as shit, not only do I got to deal with light pollution I have to get the planet in my scope while there's other stars around.

Anyways this might as well be an astronomy thread. The telescope I use is a Celestron 6A2 Refactor telescope. I can see a man on the moon especially if I use a lens with a smaller diameter(I haven't tried yet, but I'm pretty sure smaller diameter means better focus)

Not my pic, but pic related is what I see when I use this telescope on the moon.
>>
>>8876940
Power Seeker 80EQ*
>>
>>8876940
Doesn't your scope have a finder? If so, make sure it's pointing at the same thing the scope is. So find the Moon in the scope, then check the finder to see if it's pointing at the same place. You should be able to adjust it. Then use the finder to point the scope towards the planet, and it should appear somewhere within the field of view.
>>
File: 1493517514439.jpg (596KB, 1920x1878px) Image search: [Google]
1493517514439.jpg
596KB, 1920x1878px
Pic related is what I see through my telescope. It's a 4.31^38 cm diameter mirror of my own design that folds up into a backpack. Took it orbital last week, shit was cash.
>>
>>8877065
Yeah it's got a finder, that's how I get the moon. It's still really hard to get a planet, cause it's so small. My finder is nothing fancy, just some cross airs.
>>
I have an 8" dob telescope in a somewhat light-polluted area. I was thinking of hauling it off to a pretty dark spot, was thinking the Adirondack park somewhere. What do you guys think would be interesting to look at, as far as DSOs go, through an 8" reflector in a relatively dark sky area? I've seen the nebula in orion (pretty fuckin awesome) and Andromeda (somewhat disappointing, hazy smudge).
>>
>>8877125
The sun with sun protection lens.
>>
>>8877128
Is this bait? I have heard sun lenses have a tendency to crack and cause blindness in those unfortunate enough to use them.
>>
>>8877147
I believe he meant a filter.
>>
>>8876940
>I have to get the planet in my scope while there's other stars around

If you've got the general area of the planet, it shouldn't be too hard to get it. Just fiddle with elevation and windage until you've got the biggest blurry thing in view that doesn't look the same as everything else (which are your starts). Then focus.
>>
>>8876940
The Earth moves pretty fast. Resolving planets is really difficult, I would recommend against it if possible and use a motor.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.