[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about the Fermi Paradox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: aliens n shit.jpg (64KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
aliens n shit.jpg
64KB, 1024x768px
Okay, what if the reason we don't see anything in our galaxy that could be deemed intelligent life is because any civilisation that grows advanced enough to break the bonds of their solar system quickly comes to the realisation that by living in the high-mass and therefore highly timespace dilated area of a galaxy, they are essentially being fast-forwarded through time unnecessarily.

What if all highly developed alien civilisations that have ever evolved in any galaxy all invariably make the deliberate decision to use their technology to jettison a few red dwarves out of the galaxy, into empty, relatively unbent dark space to avoid the end of the universe for as long as possible?

Building a few Dyson spheres and only ever returning to local galaxies for resources they need
>>
File: drake and josh.png (77KB, 2000x368px) Image search: [Google]
drake and josh.png
77KB, 2000x368px
>>
>>8876936
Space is fucking big and attenuation is a bitch.
>>
>>8876936
>We've totally searched the whole galaxy!
No we haven't, we haven't even searched 1% of it.
It's just faggots like you are too impatient and there isn't enough funding going into it.
>>
>>8876936
if time moves faster in the new location do they die sooner compared to their initial time frame of reference? Or they just live the same amount of time, it just passes faster in the new location
>>
>>8876961
Hey nigger, I'm not advocating we just shut down all attempts to search for galactic life and just sit here smelling our own farts for all eternity or anything.

I'm just trying to explain why an advanced civilisation might want to -leave- their galaxies.

And why we too, in the far future might make the same choice.
>>
they become AIs and never leave their solar system.
>>
>>8876967
In a very-low-mass environment, time would appear to pass much slower to anyone living there than somewhere with very high mass (orbiting a black hole for example).

Both parties would age at the same rate relativistically but the party living in super-low-mass regions would essentially see the universe itself 'dying' much, much slower.
>>
>>8876936
Fermi Paradox is bullshit, actual aliens are so advanced that our tech cannot detect them at all they blend in with the background of space.
>>
>>8877012
no.

it is just that FTL is insanely improbable, EM radiation is subject to inverse square law. making it improbable that we can hear ET radio transmissions.

most intelligent life probably failed to pass some great filter and went extinct, or collapsed into irrelevance.

aliens have no interest in other aliens or actively avoid us.
>>
>>8876958
/thread
>>
File: 1488549549746.png (272KB, 909x546px) Image search: [Google]
1488549549746.png
272KB, 909x546px
Doesn't the Fermi Paradox and everything surrounding it completely ignore the possibility of advance aliens going inwards instead of outwards?

Is it not possible that advance life who could develop computer technology would find comfort in virtual reality preferring to live their lives in their own vr worlds turning their planet into it's own universe and in effect create said the parallel worlds we theorized to exist?
>>
>>8876936
Have you looked into possible explanations for this paradox?
I believe it's most likely because of the Great Barrier-which is the theory that life is abundant, however it is extremely unlikely to evolve past a certain point. Whether it's due to its own destruction, or if it simply couldn't break the cycle and adapt fast enough are both hypotheses.

If we are to find microbes on Europa this theory would have significantly more backing.

>>8876952
Anon didn't provide any explanation here, but this is the formula for the likelihood of alien life, Google it.
>>
>>8876936
Maybe we are living in simulated universe. And you do not breed different kind of microbes in same dish, it is bad for science.
>>
File: dyson-sphere.jpg (39KB, 800x383px)
dyson-sphere.jpg
39KB, 800x383px
>>8876936
>implying ultra high energy cosmic rays and fast radio bursts are not indicating ayys
>>
>>8876936
The solution is probably quite simple. The chances that there is another smart species that is even remotely close to our point of development is very slim. They are probably either millions of years behind us, or millions of years in front of us. A species that is millions of years behind us can obviously not space travel, since they probably are still figuring out stone tools. A species that is millions ahead of us can have countless theoretical reasons why we cant detect them. Maybe they are everywhere, but we cant detect them, because they operate in higher dimensions or something. Or at some point they chose not to spread for whatever reason. The thing is we think about aliens being ahead of us like the Spaniards were ahead of the Aztecs, when in reality it is probably more like Homo Erectus and a 21st century Homo Sapiens.
>>
>>8877844
This. Another interesting thing to think about in my opinion, is that in roughly 1000 years, we went from living in mud huts to QM, limited space travel, internet etc.
>>
>>8877031
Ita as improbable as the inner w9rkings of reality having no logical consistency oh wait that is probable.
>>
>>8876936
Nigga, sounds like you're the one that's high mass lmao
>>
>>8877146
Oh I've read a lot of the current explanations.

I do think the great barrier is probably the most likely, or the one that suggests things in this galaxy / the universe have only just calmed down enough to not wipe clean every civilization before they reach industrial levels, (which, given the number of extinctions we're well aware earth has been through seems more than a fair assessment).

What i would LIKE to think, as a matter of pure fantasy and wishful thinking is that the latter is true and all across our galaxy are civilizations more or less exactly where we are technologically, and that we're all just simply way too far away and young right now for any causality-obeying evidence of them to have reached us yet, or of us to them.

Perhaps right now, we're locked in a galactic space-race to be the first civilisation to make a functional warp drive and we don't even know it, as history shows humans were with regards to intercontinental worthy ships.

The losers of which will be conquered, regardless of their individual potential.
>>
>>8877844
I do, in all honesty, believe we humans are perhaps more of a freak of nature than we allow ourselves to believe.

Often times i wonder if removing just one aspect of our personalities would have ultimately doomed us to non-sapience, or at the very least indefinite stagnation as a species.

How many emerging-sapient alien species have been on the cusp of scientific revolutions, but never made it because they fell down a technological pitfall of general satisfaction, such as the example with China being fully satisfied with their high-quality clay and never even trying to invent anything better until others did.

How many aliens didn't have the level of diversity we had that meant, even while 90% of our species was off hunter-gathering, building impressive but ultimately pointless monuments and indulging in scientifically antithetical philosophies and doctrines, there was a fortunate 10% that ended up going down the rabbit hole of science and empire building, which could ultimately spread this profound knowledge to the rest?
>>
>>8876936
Where are the red dwarfs floating in intergalactic space? We would probably have noticed. A closed system fuled by a kugelblitz (spelling?) is much more probable. Why bother jettisoning stars and building dyson spheres around them when, if you have the energy required to move stars, you could just build a black hole with 100% mass energy conversion rate via hawking radiation, and have a self sufficient intergalactic ship that would have no need to return to its home galaxy ever. Hell, with the level of tech we are both assuming these aliens to have they could probably just build literally everything from scratch by picking up stray hydrogen atoms throughout the universe, run them through a fusor or fusion reactor, and have any amount of any element they want. From there build whatever. Its all speculation and is kinda pointless to debate until we have at least a scrap of evidence to support any part of these theories.
>>
>>8878811
Actually, I was thinking they would/could move stars using the principal shown in this video: http://threeacts.mrmeyer.com/dominoskyscraper/act3/act3.mov

With advanced enough mathematical models/quantum computers, and enough probes/sensors/telescopes in their posession to find satisfactorily and incrementally more massive objects to do it, i can't imagine it'd be far beyond a type-2 civilization to 'domino' an asteroid past a bigger asteroid past a small moon, past a planetoid and so on and so forth in the galaxies most complex billiards game to fling a star in an unnatural direction.
>>
>>8878832
How do you stop it once in intergalactic space? Or do you just let it drift forever because "fuck it, intergalactic space is huge"? Seems like an awful lot of trouble to avoid a pretty insignificant amount of time dialtion when you consider we have billions and billions of years left in this universe without avoiding the gravity wells around galaxies.
>>
>>8877920
Another interesting thing is that in roughly 1000 years we went from living in mud huts to alchemy, gun powder and the printing press.
>>
>>8877064
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox#They_tend_to_isolate_themselves
>>
>>8876936
The Fermi "Paradox" is a meme.

We have a whopping sample size of 1 species to base our idea of what intelligent life looks like and how it behaves. We don't even know what extraterrestrial life looks like at all, if it's even comparable to terrestrial life.

Add this to the facts that space is really fucking huge, we've only been looking at it for a very small amount of time, we've only been emitting conspicuous radiation for an even smaller amount of time, etc.
>>
>>8879026
Everything is a meme.
Every word in your post, mine and everyone else's on this board is an individual meme.

The concept of imageboards is a meme.

The layout of the keyboard you typed that on is a meme.

So yeah, very redundant to say that.

Pedantry aside, I do agree with you though, a sample-size of 1 is not enough, but this kind of guesswork is simply natural, nobody is citing any of it as hard fact.
Just an interesting thought experiment to sate us until something far more juicy comes along.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.