[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Water Availability

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: water .jpg (15KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
water .jpg
15KB, 275x183px
Hey, I'm a /biz/raeli but I have a few scientific questions that will affect my investing habits. Some of you may remember my thread earlier this week asking about the applications of genetic engineering tech like CRISPR and RTDS into grains.

I wanted to ask what the science is behind long-term water availability. I've heard the stats that humans can only access a fraction of the freshwater in the globe, which itself is a very, very small amount of the water in the world (most being saltwater).

As we see population rise and demand increase for water and traditional water sources decline in supply, what methods are available for us to continue to produce water? I've heard a lot about desalination, but is it really feasible on a large-scale from a scientific perspective? Is there anything that we can do to access freshwater reserves in glaciers as well? Are there any methods beyond these two that can supply our long-term water demands?
>>
>>8875550
Feel free to ask any questions about investing if you guys are interested in getting into it.
>>
File: World-Fertility-Rate-Map.png (217KB, 1024x565px) Image search: [Google]
World-Fertility-Rate-Map.png
217KB, 1024x565px
is it really worth it?
>>
>>8875560
If you want to keep the United States as the largest food exporter in the world, we're going to need a stable source of water other than aquifers, which I've heard are decreasing in size. Technological advanacement has allowed us to do more with less, making food more available than virtually any other point in history across mot of the globe. However, should we face water shortages, you can expect food prices to skyrocket.
>>
>>8875550
Desalinization, small machines that extract water from the air, machines that extract water from feces and purifies it, etc.

There's water floating around you right now, all you have to do is extract it from the air.
>>
>>8875575
How feasible is this as a long-term source of water? Could this be used to supply large-scale farming operations? It makes sense how you could tap into the water vapor in the air, but have there been any tests or articles on such technology? This is the first I've heard of it.

Desalination sounds good, but it seems like you'd have to invest in a lot of pipeline infrastructure to carry desalinated water from the coasts to the fertile soil of the Great Plains in the US or to areas like Vegas and the Southwest.
>>
>>8875601
Desalinization is expensive but cheaper methods are being developed.

You can extract water from the air in the desert using plastic wrap and a hole in the ground. It's not the most efficient way but you will extract enough water to survive.

Another way of trapping water from the air would be to use a dehumidifier. This isn't very efficient energy wise though.
>>
>>8875617
Also, is there anything other than infrastructure constraints stopping us from purifying the water in the Great Lakes and piping it out to the Great Plains as well? It seems like that would probably be more cost-efficient than desalination from the coasts, but I may be getting too /biz/ here.
>>
>>8875550
considering we reached 'peak water' 30 years ago, this should be of critical interest to more people.
>>
>>8875753
Very little of the water in the great lakes is refreshed every year, about 1% of overall volume.

It sounds like a good idea in theory but in practice it would just mean droughts for more people. Not to mention the water in some portions of the lakes is undrinkable due to pollution.
>>
>>8875550
I'd be more concerned with water recycling. The vast majority of our fresh water supply goes right to agriculture, and the water people use is just discarded and not recaptured. The ISS recaptures about 97% of its water so something like that for homes and businesses would be a huge deal. Desalination to increase supply and GMOs to reduce demand are promising too, but not the only way.
>>
water resources replenish themselves so we just have to use them sustainably but since that is very difficult considering the growing population and it's growing demands I say we develop desalination technology and/or have more sustainable forms of energy to power desalination plants
there's also the question of disposing of the brine leftover from the desalination process, currently we just pump it deep into the bottom of the ocean very slowly so it causes as little harm as possible but we may need to find a better method of disposal if we start desalinating more water
>>
>>8875753
The environmentalist would kill you.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.