[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is MATLAB a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

I use it a lot for mathematics, but I'm just wondering how much /sci/ sees it in the real world.
>>
>>8874141
Probably a lot.

Isn't MATLAB an engy language though? Don't mathfags use Haskell or some shit?
>>
>>8874141
I use it as my calculator.
>>
>>8874141
I see engineers talking a lot about it.
>>
>>8874141
I used it in college but never see it or here about it outside of college.
>>
Its used in our uni whole.time. but i doubt that real lifes use it yes
>>
>>8874141
Jesus god it is the worst fucking train-wreck garbage-heap rube goldberg bag of dildos I have ever used.

It is sold as high productivity. Bullshit. Anything past a prototype and the language and bug riddled horrendously slow libraries and language paradigm work against you EVERY STEP OF THE FUCKING WAY.

And everyone fucking uses it. Babby's first and last TI-83 graphics calculator, that's all it is.

I will jank Cleve Moler next time I see that fat fuck
>>
>>8874345
Found the gender studies major.
>>
>>8874141

It's pretty useful for EE.
>>
File: 047.jpg (24KB, 456x384px) Image search: [Google]
047.jpg
24KB, 456x384px
>>8874665
>gender studies major
>even knowing what Matlab is
>>
File: 132.jpg (377KB, 1536x1794px) Image search: [Google]
132.jpg
377KB, 1536x1794px
Matlab or python 3?
>>
File: julia_logo.png (32KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
julia_logo.png
32KB, 400x400px
>>8874141
EEng PhD here, at my uni people use it for prototyping or simulating stuff sometimes, but then rewrite it in C, C++, C# (depending on the reqired level of user interaction) or alternatively LabView (if there's a lot of talking to hardware involved).

I personally think that Julia is a way superior language, but on the other hand, I'm the dept's autist.
>>
Octave master race
>>
>>8874141
It is an okay language to prototype in.
But you really dont want to use it if speed or accuracy matters.

>>8874187
VERY bad choice.
>>
>>8874141
Yes, it's a disgusting meme. I am doing my matlab college homework right now and i hate it, especially meaningless error messsages. Also it requires like a 40 seconds to make a single graphic of simple function on my laptop which is quitely powerful
>>
>>8874673
Python3
>>
>>8874677
>I personally think that Julia is a way superior language, but on the other hand, I'm the dept's autist.
You are certainly right.
Julia at least can add and multiply big numbers without spazzing out.
>>
>>8874677
>LabView
The only thing even more worthless than matlab.

>>8875048
>Use it as a calculator
>VERY bad choice.
That's all it should be used for. It's an oversized pocket calculator with about the same performance.
>>
>>8875410
>with about the same performance
That's why makes it so awful, it is really bad at the only thing it is good.
>>
>>8875410
>LabView
>The only thing even more worthless than matlab.
I also hate it with a passion (for vendor lock-in, not working with any version control systems, and most importantly, promises of simplifying programming while delivering only a way to describe already simple problems straightforwardly, and exploding the complexity when faced with truly complex problems), but on the other hand, it still seems the most viable option when you have a bunch of measuring equipment and want to connect it to some control equipment. I mean, in principle, some solution based on Erlang/Elixir, backed with high speed extensions written in C, could perhaps work orders of magnitude better than this, but alas, I never got around to implement my idea, and apparently neither had anyone else disgusted with LV.
>>
>your Matlab license will expire in 9 days
>>
What's the preferred language for math majors?
>>
>>8875760
Just learn a bit of Python, R, and maybe Ruby if you've learned the others and you're bored..
>>
>>8875760
English
>>
>>8874152
>Don't mathfags use Haskell or some shit?
I'm not a mathematician, but I seriously doubt that. All the "math" in Haskell is a simplistic and non-rigorous part of category theory (it breaks down if you consider non-terminating expressions and the "seq" function that lets you evaluate things in arbitrary places: http://math.andrej.com/2016/08/06/hask-is-not-a-category). Even with the extensions available in the Glasgow Haskell Compiler that make the language closer to being dependently-typed, it's still not suitable for things like theorem proving. Haskell is, simply, a general purpose programming language, that's also a playground for PL research.
>>
>>8875760
C++
>>
>>8874141
like it or not, it is the standard language in a lot of contexts, so it's good to be familiar with it if you have any interest in collaborating on "applied" projects
>>
>>8875802
>not russian
>>
is there a reason MatLab is so standardized? what's stopping someone form just using Python or C++ or whatever the hell they feel like using?
>>
>>8875947
shitloads upon shitloads of libraries.
>>
>>8874141

I use it for medical image manipulation like filtering and segmentation, or rather to learn how more advanced and specialized software actually works. I works well enough, atleast I do not have to go full autist and actually do shit in C++. Although admittedly it has its own problems, like the fact that its syntax is getting too much of a clusterfuck for its own good.
>>
>>8876001
>its syntax is getting too much of a clusterfuck for its own good.
>is getting
That's a kind way of putting it. No seriously, which other language forces you to use strings followed by values to simulate keyword arguments (like glorified shell scripts), and to parse cell array blobs when you call functions that may return something else than numbers or matrices (like the regular expression functions)? While the language itself did evolve beyond that, the standard library is well stuck in the "duh, at least it's better than writing Fortran, isn't it?" times.
>>
>>8874141
I've had 2 engineering jobs - one of them needed Matlab. It exists - good for prototyping in DSP but C/C++ is pretty much the norm for real implementation.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.