[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

neuroscience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 25046095345_1ae0ddec15_k.jpg (2MB, 2048x1363px) Image search: [Google]
25046095345_1ae0ddec15_k.jpg
2MB, 2048x1363px
are there religious people in neurobiology courses?
>>
>>8867219
muzzie here

yes, why?
>>
>>8867219
I'm Catholic and I'm about to do a rotation in a neuro lab at Duke as part of my first year of PhD studies.
>>
>>8867576

You won't be into woo-woo and bullshit for much longer then!
>>
Yes, I'm a member of the Catholic Universities Neuroscience Traditionalists Society.
>>
>>8867219
I knew someone who studied neuroscience and went to church regularly. I don't see how both are related.
>>
>>8867690
Hey, I study neuroscience at the South Haigon Institute of technology. We should hang out mah mane.
>>
>>8868250
neuroscience goes hand in hand with determenism and materialism, and those two concepts usually don't mix very well with religion.
>>
>>8869350
science and religion are about different things.

You're a fucking retard if you think anything else.
>>
>>8869454
>science and religion are about different things.
They are based on totally opposite philosophies
>>
what do you do as a job in neuroscience? serious question and i don't mean brain surgery
>>
>>8867219
Not all religions are the same or ask for the same from it practicers.

Even when the searcg for the biblical God seems fruitless,the search fr other Gods it's still on going.

Netzahualcoyotl.

Just a brief moment

Is it true that one lives on earth, ay!

For ever on earth?

Even the fine stones crack,

Until the gold is destroyed,

Even the precious feathers are torn.

For ever on earth?

Just a brief moment here!
>>
>>8869454
>science and religion are about different things.
Except when they're not.
>>
>>8867682
But I already have a Master's degree in genetics..

What exactly are your credentials, anyways.
>>
>>8869762

He watches Bill Nye.
>>
>>8869749
ok

As a muslim my religion's philosophy encourages me to seek knowledge.

Maybe not the religions you know about.
>>
File: C91P2FrVoAA_Mf9.jpg (80KB, 1042x878px) Image search: [Google]
C91P2FrVoAA_Mf9.jpg
80KB, 1042x878px
>>8869707
>the search for the biblical God seems fruitless
>searching for a neumenal entity in phenomena
>>
>>8869779
That doesn't respond to my point. Clearly religion and science conflict in certain instances, since many religions make factual claims.
>>
>>8869786
If God is noumenal then you cannot know God exists or make any claim about God
>>
To religious neuroscientists : check out the book "Soul Hypothesis." It has 10 chapters from 12 different neuroscientists.
It's a good read and shows how Spirituality and Neurobiology can be compatible. Some of the ideas are a little "theoretical", but it's still interesting.
>>
>>8869867
I meant that may be so, but it's everyone's job to be critical of what they hear and think about what makes sense to them.

"Reasonable doubt" is a very subjective limit.

That doesn't mean you can't do your job as a scientist. You can't test miracles or test a "god", but you can measure and test [insert relevant elements of your field] within a degree of uncertainty.
>>
File: 123123.jpg (39KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
123123.jpg
39KB, 480x640px
>>8867564
>Religion fears science and brainpower
>>
there is nothing in science that realistically questions the existence of God
/thread
>>
>>8867219
Studying neuroscience made me religious, due to the "hard problem"
>>
>>8869969
There is nothing in science that realistically questions the existence of unicorns.

Take that unicorn deniers!
>>
>>8869960
If people were critical of what they hear, religion would not exist.
>>
>>8870050
If people were critical of what they hear, then people would reject the scientific method due to its reliance on empirical reasoning.
>>
>>8870050
why?

You're a dingus who has no knowledge about almost every religion there is.

and this:
>>8870059
>>
Wow, imagine being this dumb
>>
>>8870059
Why?

>>8870080
Because there's no reason to believe any of it.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.