[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have been thinking about the classification of planets and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Bill-Nye-Solar-System.jpg (390KB, 945x596px) Image search: [Google]
Bill-Nye-Solar-System.jpg
390KB, 945x596px
I have been thinking about the classification of planets and why Pluto is no longer considered to be one. It seems like planetary classification exists on a spectrum and Pluto is somewhere in between. What do you think about this?
>>
>>8863865
I think this got real old, real fast.
>>
>>8863867
LIBERAL BUTTHURT
>>
>>8863870
You got me, I'm absolutely ass blasted over some cuck in a bow tie.
>>
>>8863867
Why? There is a high probability of finding a 9th planet and there may be several other ice giants in the kuiper belt. There's a good chance that the spectrum of planets will widen over time.
>>
Insisting Pluto is a planet based on feels is not dissimilar to a MtF insisting they are a woman.
>>
>>8863865

Pluto is definitely Transplanet

I find people assuming its planet status to be fucking shitlords
>>
>>8863895
Who the fuck is talking about MtFs and women? We're talking about planets.
>>
>>8863865
I personally identify as a dwarf planet so the true red pill is that everything is actually on the same spectrum. There is no real difference between, lets say the sun, and my sex junk, it's all just a spectrum.
>>
File: ACLpV9L.png (613KB, 532x570px) Image search: [Google]
ACLpV9L.png
613KB, 532x570px
>>8863895
>>8863901
I think our vocabulary is limited in terms of what we can call all these giant celestial objects so we create new definitions so we can have a more precise classification system. Unfortunately it's not that easy and we end up redefining already defined objects after finding new examples.

Celestial bodies exist on a spectrum.
>>
pluto is celestial body-fluid, sometimes it is a planet, other times it isn't.
>>
>>8863919
Do you think it's social acceptable to colonize Pluto some day because they feel oppressed? If Pluto truly identifies as a planet, perhaps science can solve the problem by sending out space ships to clear Pluto's orbit so it can be a planet and be in alignment with its identity.
>>
>>8863915
>Celestial bodies exist on a spectrum.

I think some specific qualifiers are needed for planet status

>Orbit of the star/stars by itself (outside of any moons)
>Big enough to form a sphere (>1000km)

Size, composition, and whatnot, outside of those 2 variables, shows the spectrum of what we consider planets
>>
>>8863915
No, they don't, except we don't care what "spectrum" even means anymore. "Spectrum" would mean that the definition of celestial bodies is depended on one parameter, for example size. Than celestial bodies would exist on the spectrum size. This is not the case though. Size is just one parameter of many. So it is definetely not a spectrum. Except spectrum suddenly means everything that can be defined is a spectrum, in which case the word "spectrum" loses any precision and therefore all linguistic value. It's like replacing the words positive and negative with the word alladeen.
>>
>>8863927
It may be a multi-dimensional spectrum where there are more than one parameters. It's all so complex and difficult to understand. I used to think it was as simple as following the list of criteria but even that's a spectrum.
>>
>>8863933

Pretty much

Three distinct entities, are now part of a spectrum

Science is clearly lagging behind our understanding of semantics
>>
>>8863945
3 different spectrums forming a super-spectrum. Science is hard, I know. Hopefully you'll learn more to understand it better some day.
>>
>>8863965

I mean, shit

After 1-3, even in a fully closed system, has 4-10. So, it's really a spectrum of 1 - infinity.

Language is going to leave science in the dust.
>>
>>8864018
We're gonna find more than 3 over time. One of the fundamental characteristics of the universe is that every object in it is on a spectrum of one way or the other.
>>
>>8863865
Okay, I chucked.
Here's your (You)
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.