[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fitch proofs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: poop.jpg (3MB, 5344x3008px) Image search: [Google]
poop.jpg
3MB, 5344x3008px
My final is tomorrow and I need help figuring these proofs out
>>
Just use the logic rules.

Next time you need help with basic propositional logic go to >>>/adv/
>>
>>8855014
Thanks will do!
>>
>>8854798
I like logic so if you are able to coherently put that into something I can read without wanting to kill myself then I'll do the proof for you.

Preferably latex but using non-microscopic ink and having your picture aligned correctly will do.
>>
I was going to help you but the picture is posted sideways. sorry bro
>>
>>8854798
>some people here actually have to make an effort to learn the basics of propositional logic

lmao, thanks for the ego boost
>>
>>8855735
I know I literally learned this the first day of my discrete math class
>>
Fuck that baby logic garbage they teach to phil students. Learn some mathematical logic.

Just prove the Soundness and Completeness theorem for PL with a Hilbert deduction system (cause only Modus Ponens and not those billion other rules of inference) and appeal to truth tables for tautologies.
>>
>>8855751

>baby logic garbage
>truth tables

wut
>>
>>8855778
I mean doing derivations is annoying, to tell if a statement in PL is a tautology, truth tables are easy, then by soundness, that tells you there is a proof in your deductions system.

If you have some other super algorithm to tell whether a statement is a tautology I can do on paper in a couple minutes, I'm listening.
>>
>>8855792

rules of inference can be derived from truth tables, and although they can be tedious, they are still better than doing out the entire truth table. Doing derivations quickly come with practice.

The problem with truth tables is that the number of rows increases exponentially with the number of variables (2^n), so it will take forever to do a truth table with say 5 variables.
>>
>>8855811
I agree knowing how to syntactically manipulate formulas is important, but I think they should be justified by truth tables and the completeness theorem, not derivations especially in PL. Otherwise you're working with a crutch. An example, when we had to do derivations in FOL in an intermediate logic class, before we had the completeness theorem, some we couldn't just say, oh at this step we did contrapositive, or demorgan, we actually had to do it each time. It sucked, but once we had more tools those pesky parts of logic disappeared.
>>
>>8855841
To quickly add on this, in the advanced logic class I used truth tables all the time to prove things, by taking all PL tautologies as axiomatic schema. Then if I wanted to use a formula in PL I would use a computer to tell me if it was a tautology. It was great.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.