[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What engineering degree do I need to get to create and research augs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_9176.png (467KB, 1151x577px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9176.png
467KB, 1151x577px
What engineering degree do I need to get to create and research augs?
>>
>>8848838
You don't need one to do hobby level shit.
>>
>>8848838
biomedical
>>
>>8850694
Is bioengineering technically the same?
>>
>>8850732
I believe that's more about artificial organs(stem cell research) rather than the tech of augs but it's definitely in the same field
>>
That would be biomechanical engineering at my uni
>>
>>8848838

Medical prosthesis.
>>
>>8848838
A lot of different fields go into bodily augmentations. Neuroscience, biomedical engineering, and mechanical engineering are the big ones. Otherwise, you might have electrical engineering (for the expensive/futuristic stuff), chemical engineering (if the augment is internal or otherwise chemically functioning), and a bit of psychological testing.
>>
>>8850784
Oh, and materials science. Possibly computer science in the future.
>>
>>8850694
i thought biomedical was for shit like pacemakers
>>
>>8850795
I mean yeah if you only do an undergrad, but my friend who's finishing up his masters is working on high-tech prosthetic's right now
>>
>>8850744
Thanks for replying back Anon, which do you think is better to take if you want to work on brain to machine interfaces?
>>
>>8850852
the main thing you need to know when going into engineering is that you can do whatever you want with your degree, someone else above stated that there are many sub fields within the prosthetic's and augs field. neuroscience is more about the inner workings of brains, while bio/biomedical engineering are more about the parts. If you are serious about this, i would suggest you to mechanical engineering as you can essentially do whatever you want once you can some good knowledge about the field. even if it doesn't work out you can always jump boat to something else within mechanical.
Source: am mechanical engineer
>>
Cybernetics/robotics
>>
>>8848838
You could either do a specialized degree for this field (biomedial/bioengineering), or another engineering degree that would be needed for augs (mechanical, electrical, systems, etc.). A team working on these things would need members from multiple fields.
>>
>>8851020
yeah I'm split between doing bioengineering and then doing a master in biomed, or like you said go into mechanical and then take the master in biomed. I'm looking at Temple university atm

Would I be able to apply to med school with a mechanical engineering degree considering I took the prerequisite bio/organic chem/math/ etc?
>>
>>8851284
Which option would give me a greater chance of getting an interview or get into the field of neuroscience? If I took the MS or PhD in biomed at temple or if I took an MD and became a neurologist? Reason I'm intent on going to temple is because it's reasonably affordable and their university has done a fair share of research into bioeng/med. My other option is Drexel and they too are located in philly
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.