[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does it work?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 45

File: $.jpg (57KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
$.jpg
57KB, 600x400px
>>
It doesnt
>>
it doesnt
>>
It doesnt XD
>>
>>8847289
this elusive device is quite devilish in its function. after one powers it up, it gains significant media coverage and grant money
>>
It doesn't.
>>
File: 1492818507446.gif (894KB, 300x167px) Image search: [Google]
1492818507446.gif
894KB, 300x167px
>>8847411
kek'd
>>
>>8847289
What is it?
>>
>>8847552
i think bheetoven put it in his ear or something
>>
Quick rundown?
>>
>>8847620
>Guy bullshits some magic propulsion system (paper is hilarious btw, if you know physics)
>Far, far, far too many people take him seriously
>Load of people test the device
>Actually measure something
>But because they're either incompetent or irresponsible decide to communicate their results via blogs and forums before peer review
>Some Chinks recreate the experiment, publish, then discover a flaw that causes them to retract their paper. Some people still use it as evidence that magic drive works.
>Turns out that if you remove the atmosphere you also remove 99% of the effect.
>Some people [math] still [/math] hold on to the idea.
>Test articles constantly return null results, one particularly strange one has """thrust""" being recorded in one direction regardless of the orientation of the drive.
>All the graphs produced have the """"thurst"""" slow dying down to 0, that follows a textbook cooling curve.

tl;dr more pop-sci garbage that too many people took seriously.
>>
>>8847642
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>8847642
Didn't Eagleworks publish a paper?
>>
File: city.jpg (318KB, 1078x516px) Image search: [Google]
city.jpg
318KB, 1078x516px
I post here everytime someone brings this thing up...

I am currently working on it...

I have an idea of how it works, or how a similar device could produce a similar thrust...

The mechanism for my idea of where the thrust comes from has already been experimentally verified...

I am building the system currently and will be working on similar things during my post doc...

If it works how I think it works, I am going all in and building a ship...

I am gonna be at a university that facilitates start up businesses too and will go full ham on starting a "space development" company if the idea proves to be robust...
>>
>>8847289
It just werks
>>
>>8847832
In a clown journal.
>>
>>8847832
Eventually yeah, but it's not in a particularly reputable journal and it still has a load of problems with it. The point is it they started releasing their test results on NASA space flight forums (not actually affiliated with NASA) before putting those results though the standard channels.

>>8848041
No you aren't. And if you are it's like that guy who's working on """""electric fog""""".
>>
>>8848055
bruh, I am indeed currently working on these things... :)

Everything I am using, by the way, has all been published in nature...

I am not claiming it will work well, work shittily, nor work at all...

I am claiming that I am working on it and that the idea is based on very cool and very well established science. If it works then good, if it fails then fuck it...

but I am most definitely in the lab, doing the math, etc. working on this thing currently...
>>
>>8848090
You have done nothing to date. You have nothing to contribute to the conversation. You are just shitposting.
>>
>>8848090
Okay then, what direction are you taking towards explaining the violation of conservation of momentum?
>>
File: Bkp0hV.gif (28KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Bkp0hV.gif
28KB, 500x500px
>>8848095
fair enough...

and i have done LOTS of work to date... i am just not gonna dox myself by stating what i am doing as it is easy to look up...

think about the shape of the cavity. think about boundary conditions, the standing wave, blah blah blah. This is type of stuff is literally an e&m homework problem...

The key is you shouldnt think about these things in terms of e&m... whats happening comes from quantum mechanics and e&m is simply mimicking the process with the phase...
>>
File: 1488578483319.gif (2MB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1488578483319.gif
2MB, 500x400px
>>8848115
conservation of momentum is not violated...

i said to this anon >>8848095 that I am not gonna dox myself by saying too much about these things...

the key is to not think about the system with e&m, but with quantum mechanics instead. This gives a better intuition about whats happening...
>>
>>8848148
>conservation of momentum is not violated...

It clearly is, unless you're arguing that it's not reactionless, in which case it's not a big deal at all. But then I have to ask, what's it pushing against?

>QM gives something better intuition
Literally the first time this have ever been written about anything. Tell me what quantum mechanical process is it using?
>>
It doesnt
>>
>>8847289
So chinese got trolled hard?
>>
File: 1484965905750.gif (999KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
1484965905750.gif
999KB, 500x700px
>>8848158
If my idea is correct then it is indeed not reactionless... however, it is still cool because of what the "propellent" is...

I am not trying be a fucking larpfag but I am not gonna say, yet, what the process is... but if you think about the system quantum mechanically, and look around a bit, you will figure out how it works, and what the propellent is...
>>
>>8848201
>propellent
Then what is the propellant.

>I am not trying be a fucking larpfag
That's exactly what you are.

>but if you think about the system quantum mechanically
No. This thing makes no sense in anyway. Unless it's ablating some of the metal.
>>
>>8847289
It is literally powered by dreams and the subtle influence memes exert on our plastic reality.
>>
>>8847552
An early version of Tycho Brahe's false nose.
>>
>>8848206

inb4 etherfag
>>
File: OzbyNT2.jpg (15KB, 648x960px) Image search: [Google]
OzbyNT2.jpg
15KB, 648x960px
Let me ask you all a couple questions...

1) What would you do if you thought you knew how it worked? Would you tell people, keep it secret, develop it yourself?

2) Is it stupid to tell people how it works? Then someone or some company with the resources can scoop your ass to all hell...

3) Is this thing too dangerous to have out there? In principle, if this thing works it is icbm tier dangerous. I am gonna get v& for publicly working on this?

4) If this works, i want to start my own company and develop space exploration. I don't want fucking google or some shit buying up everything and pushing me, or whoever, out of the way. Is this paranoid?

5) What would you do?
>>
>>8848158
>Reaction
>Pushing against.

Oh lawd...
>>
>>8848220
>Would you tell people, keep it secret, develop it yourself?

I'd develop it. But then I wouldn't be bragging about it on 4chan. Just admit it you're nothing but a sad larping faggot.
>>
>>8848220
>Talking abut this is dangerous, will get me vanned
>I will post about it on 4chan, where the v& drivers gather daily to look for lolilovers to pick up.

Riiiiiiiiight...
>>
File: 1477894985006.jpg (556KB, 1643x1141px) Image search: [Google]
1477894985006.jpg
556KB, 1643x1141px
>>8848206
I have my phd (in one week actually). I am working on this stuff now and will continue at my post doc. I am most definitely not a larpfag...

This larpfag shit is stupid. it is really fucking easy to tell what my physics level is...

look at these questions...>>8848220 I honestly dont know what to do in this situation...

now, in terms of quantum, stop and think about it... literally think about a wave in a conical cavity in terms of quantum, not e&m...
>>
>>8848236
>I have my phd (in one week actually).

Sure, sure. I """believe""" you.
>>
File: diamond.gif (855KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
diamond.gif
855KB, 500x500px
>>8848226
>>8848227

if you need me to be more pedantic so you don't get side tracked by metaphors then just ask
>>
>>8848241
well how about ask me some questions about physics... it is quite easy to determine if i am a larpfag....
>>
>>8848245
I'm just waiting for some basic ideas of it. Like what principles are you using to explain it?
>>
>>8847552
Worlds smallest flashlight under a microscope
>>
>>8848252
i am not going to say how it works... that is literally the stupidest thing to do right now... thats how one gets scooped...

I said enough above... stop thinking about it in terms of e&m and start thinking about it in terms of quantum
>>
>>8848273
>I don't wana get scooped
>So Imma brag about it on 4chan and hint at how to understand it.

Are you retarded senpai?
>>
File: 1477629741361.gif (1MB, 636x636px) Image search: [Google]
1477629741361.gif
1MB, 636x636px
>>8848329
no, i am just curious to talk with people about it... just because i have an idea about how it works, and am keeping it close until i publish, does not prevent nice conversations to happen...

if this thing works it is a game changer... there is so much more to it than how it works...
>>
>>8848251
Take: [eqn] \mathcal { L } = - \frac { 1 } {4 } F^2 _{ \mu \nu } + ( D_{ \mu } \phi )^* ( D^{ \mu } \phi ) -m^2 \phi ^* \phi [/eqn] Where [math] D [/math] is the usual gauge-covariant derivative. Find the free propagator and the interactions.
>>
>>8847289
This thing produces thrust by microwaving copper atoms out of the fuck. its the world worst ion thruster
>>
>>8847642
feels pretty nice to be one of the only people, back in the day, saying "its just heating up water vapor in the atmosphere."
>>
>>8848356
this is a scalar model of qed. the positive and negative charged particles are given by \phi and \phi^{\ast}. the interaction for this theory is determined by enforcing, for the case of e&m, the local u(1) gauge invariance of the lagrangian. The interaction is there it is just written into the covariant derivative...

the propogator is computed via <0| phi phi' |0> and will look like

G ~ 1/(\delta x^2) in coordinate space

G~ 1/(p^2 -m^2) in momentum space

I work in quantum field theory in curved spacetime... its nice to take a trip back to the luxury of minkowski space every now and then... :)
>>
>>8848383
Fair enough.
>>
>>8848356
also, written explicitly out, the interaction would be something like

e \phi^{\ast} A \phi

A comes from F^2, with F^{\mu \nu} = d^{\mu}A^{\nu}-d^{\nu}A^{\mu}

This is the interaction that comes out of the local u(1)...
>>
>>8848386
Thanks for asking... I hope this shows that I am not larping...

What do you work on by the way?
>>
File: 1484890297152.jpg (178KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1484890297152.jpg
178KB, 640x427px
>>8847552
You don't want to know
>>
>>8848393
I'm just about to finish the taught part of my M.Sc. My dissertation is going to be in a particularly niche area of particle theory.
>>
File: 1477521025689.jpg (114KB, 800x914px) Image search: [Google]
1477521025689.jpg
114KB, 800x914px
>>8848405
nice... i am writing up my phd thesis right now (when not screwing around on 4chins)...

I work on things related to the unruh/hawking radiation...
>>
>>8848414
Neat. The project I wanted was using the double copy to do some stuff, but I didn't get that.
>>
>>8847552
I've never seen it before, no one has.
>>
>>8848746
A *white* hole?
>>
>>8848206
>Then what is the propellant.
My guess would be ellipses...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=PvnF2bMnJtU

make one by yourself
>>
>>8848414
when will you know if your theory is correct? some speculate the airforce is already flying something like your thing
>>
http://www.popsci.com/emdrive-engine-space-travel-china-success

>Dr. Chen Yue, Director of Commercial Satellite Technology for the China Academy of Space Technology (CAST) announced on December 10, 2016 that not only has China successfully tested EmDrives technology in its laboratories, but that a proof-of-concept is currently undergoing zero-g testing in orbit

Why are people still pursuing this?

It must work even if no one has announced a good explanation why yet.
>>
>>8850049
Multiple reasons:

>Popsci.com
>No citations
>Sometimes nations lie if they think they can suitably impress others
>China refuses to publish this supposed irrefutable proof of a functioning EMDrive
>China won't share their designed models.
>The EMDrive is physically impossible.

Now, I'll give you that last one. Things are only physically impossible until they aren't; we don't know everything and can be proven wrong. But China has made some fantastic claims before, and they have provided 0 proof that they have a functioning drive.
>>
>>8850069
So you think the Chinks are just masters of banter/deception?

They sound fairly confident this is not a red herring.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/emdrive-chinese-space-agency-put-controversial-tech-onto-satellites-soon-possible-1596328

>"National research institutions in recent years have carried out a series of long-term, repeated tests on the EmDrive. NASA's published test results can be said to re-confirm the technology," Dr Chen Yue, head of the communication satellite division at the China Academy of Space Technology (Cast) said at the press conference.

>"We have successfully developed several specifications of multiple prototype principles. The establishment of an experimental verification platform to complete the milli-level micro thrust measurement test, as well as several years of repeated experiments and investigations into corresponding interference factors, confirm that in this type of thruster, thrust exists."
>>
>>8850117
Of course the people setting the red herring are confident it isn't.

I'll be convinced when they either give NASA a model to test themselves or get a peer reviewed report approved.
>>
>>8850049
>Muh in orbit test

Why the fuck do retards think this proves anything? Pioneer was in space yet still had thermal effects slowly push it off course.
>>
>>8850140
>give NASA a model

As if the Chinese government would allow that.
I don't see why you're so convinced they are perpetrating a hoax.

It they have a range of prototypes and measurements but lack a complete theory of how it works, they would be mad to publish.

That would risk giving away useful information that others could use to beat them to goal of a sufficient theoretical understanding from which and optimised engine could be devised.

Once someone has a thorough understanding of how it works they can patent the optimum design and that is worth billions.
>>
>>8850173
I don't mind waiting for China to do that. I'm just not going to claim it works when their word on the matter is "It does, but we can't show you and don't know how."
>>
>>8850147
>think this proves anything?
Would prove it could moving things around in orbit powered purely by electricity.

Sounds useful.

>>8850183
>I don't mind waiting for China to do that.

The future is Chinese then I guess.
>>
Remind me: the NASA paper in which they said it worked was proven wrong right?
>>
File: 1481507227055.png (155KB, 1253x698px) Image search: [Google]
1481507227055.png
155KB, 1253x698px
>>8850194
NASA haven't published shit, it's Eagleworks.

It was shown to be extremely lacking in testing for thermal effects. This is one of the tests they show in the paper. The device is turned off but the "thrust" only peaks then, and then there is an exponential decline just like a cooling curve. These effects get a mention in the paper but they crudely attempt to model them out under the assumption of uniform heating, that assumption clearly isn't true as their two templates (expansion and thrust) cannot fit the curve I've posted together with constant heating and steady thrust. This combined with the fact the control isn't a true control for thermal expansion is a problem.

They're going to have to do a better job next time. It would help if they published in a real physics journal and got better review.
>>
>>8850186
>Sounds useful.

Lol, retard. If it works it produces something on the order of microNewtons of thrust per Watt. That's fucking useless.

>>8850194
No, they didn't isolate all sources of error.
>>
>>8850194

https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120

>>8850217
That's enough to steer something small in orbit.
Doing that with solar power is a good trick.
>>
>>8850217
>microNewtons of thrust per Watt.
mN is millinewtons
milli - thousandths
micro - millionths

>It's very similar to the paper that was leaked online earlier this month and, most notably, shows that the drive does indeed produce 1.2 millinewtons per kilowatt of thrust in a vacuum:

>>"Thrust data from forward, reverse, and null suggested that the system was consistently performing at 1.2 ± 0.1 mN/kW, which was very close to the average impulsive performance measured in air. A number of error sources were considered and discussed."

>To put that into perspective, the super-powerful Hall thruster generates force of 60 millinewtons per kilowatt, an order of magnitude more than the EM Drive.

>But the Hall thruster requires propellants, and that extra weight could offset the higher thrust, the team concludes.

>Light sails on the other hand, which are currently the most popular form of zero-propellant propulsion, only generate force up to 6.67 micronewtons per kilowatt – two orders of magnitude less than NASA's EM Drive, says the paper.

http://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-official-nasa-s-peer-reviewed-em-drive-paper-has-finally-been-published
>>
>>8850239
>millinewtons per kilowatt
>MicroNewtons per watt

Really made me think about the caliber of person I'm arguing with.
>>
>>8850239
>But the Hall thruster requires propellants, and that extra weight could offset the higher thrust, the team concludes.

Only if your spacecraft is 90% engine and propellant in mass. That is not the case for any ion powered spacecraft in real life.

>>8850239
>only generate force up to 6.67 micronewtons per kilowatt
Solar sails don't require power from the spacecraft at all. Talk about misleading numbers. EMdrive on the other hand (if it wasn't bullshit) would require solar panels. That adds mass which as they pointed out above can kill the advantage. What hypocrites.
>>
>>8848383
Woah. Nice to see a legit guy here.
>>
>>8850259
So it needs to be more efficient? So what?

Doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Is it real that smart guys are this triggered by something they can't explain?
They would call people frauds because the explanation is too hard for them?
>>
>>8850273
That's not exclusive for smart guys. Just check the average /sci/ poster.
>>
>>8850273
Did I say anything about the efficiency of EMdrive being too low? No. I criticised the bullshit comparison given in the article. Try reading what people actually write.

As someone said earlier in this thread the level of testing done on EMdrive so far is poor. I have not yet been convinced it isn't a systematic effect:
>>8850211
When they plug all the holes in their methodology people may start to listen.
>>
>>8850284
>I'm scared of scientific breakthroughs
>>
>>8848148
>Haha yes I am very smart and working on this trust me guys ;)
>Now excuse me while I write like an edgy dumb teenager using unnecessary ellipses everywhere
>>
>>8850300
>Poor practice and bad methodology doesn't scare him

Back to R.eddit with you.
>>
>>8850313
The Chinese started their experiements roughly ten years ago. Eagleworks, which is a subdivision of NASA, tested it in vacuum and confirmed that it works and there is a peer review. If these are not enough for you make your own tests.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/briankoberlein/2016/11/19/nasas-physics-defying-em-drive-passes-peer-review/#56348b55659d
>>
>>8850368
See
>>8850211
>>8847642
>>8848049
>>8848055
And most importantly:
>>8850211

The Chinese team had to retract their results when they found an error that removed what little """"""thrust"""""" they originally detected.
>>
>>8850368
Eagleworks is not a subdivision of NASA. They are an external contractor, they are not part of NASA and this work is not funded by NASA.

>If these are not enough for you make your own tests.
That's not how it works in science. If you want to claim X is true it is your responsibility to convince the community that is so. Burden of proof. Firing out some half-baked experiments does not cut it when there are still many systematic effects that they have not tested.

>>8850313
r/Physics actually had a very detailed discussion of the problems with the paper.
>>
>>8849581
thats actually pretty funny...
>>
>>8850395
None of which provide a link to any paper refuting it or any such retraction.

>>8850399
Their work is still copyright US government I noticed.

When people have made a device and shown it works surely the burden then lies with the nay sayers.

I've yet to see anyone bring a peer reviewed explanation of where everyone working on this is going wrong.

Even a rough outline of how flaws in their methodology could result in apparent thrust of the same magnitude would be welcome.
>>
>>8848227
>where the v& drivers gather daily to look for lolilovers to pick up.
>no party van has yet to be seen
not even the FBI wants me
>>
>>8847642
You forgot the part where the Chinese put it in a vacuum with its own batteries and found zero thrust
>>
File: pyramid.jpg (41KB, 520x293px) Image search: [Google]
pyramid.jpg
41KB, 520x293px
>>8850034
I have an experiment almost setup that is trying to measure a force with this mechanism. I probably won't get everything finished prior to leaving for my post doc, but the facility where I am going already has the experiments set up and in much better condition. Hopefully we can measure the force within a year...

Theoretically, I am dragging some ass. I have 4 papers backlogged that I have to finish prior to typing up this idea. This should be around a year as well...

What I am really excited about is the place I am going has all the facilities in place to get this thing off the ground...

The bottom line is this; If the idea works, and my post doc will have all the things necessary to check it, then it is gonna get done. There is a valid scientific pathway, based on very conservative(realistic) assumptions, towards making this thing actually work...

we shall see...

I will have to look into this air force thing a bit... could be interesting...
>>
>>8850312
My ellipses game is tight son...

If you have any questions about physics, just ask. I am graduating senpai, and I feel like spreading some knowledge around...
>>
Excruciatingly.
>>
>>8852097
>When people have made a device and shown it works surely the burden then lies with the nay sayers.

No. If at the end of the day the paper doesn't convince you then it doesn't convince you. Peer review just means it probably isn't isn't filled with utter crap but it doesn't mean it isn't deeply flawed. Go to a journal club and see how many bad papers are published.

The flaws in the methodology are clear to see. The fact these haven't been dealt with yet says they haven't proven it actually works as claimed.

>I've yet to see anyone bring a peer reviewed explanation of where everyone working on this is going wrong.

You don't peer review criticism of papers. Only very occasionally will anyone publish a reply to your paper but only if you really annoy them. Given that this paper wasn't even published in a physics journal it probably won't garner much attention. Again it's the papers job to convince the reader.

>Even a rough outline of how flaws in their methodology could result in apparent thrust of the same magnitude would be welcome.

Again not how this works. Additionally the data isn't public so there is very little that anyone outside the team could do.
>>
>>8847289
It persists
>>
>>8847289
Even if you wait a hundred years it still won't be in commercial use because it's a hoax.
>>
>>8847289
Like an eagle
>>
File: untitled-6.jpg (96KB, 1368x684px) Image search: [Google]
untitled-6.jpg
96KB, 1368x684px
>>8852856
These all sound like excuses from someone who denies what is shown to them because they don't understand it.

>The flaws in the methodology are clear to see.
And I'm still waiting for one of you smart guys to show me a single calculation that shows how those flaws could account for the result.

>You don't peer review criticism of papers.

A paper explaining where the 'magical' force is coming from would be a work in it's own right.
I feel like you're misrepresenting what I ask for so you can dismiss it.

>Again not how this works
So you have no idea how the result could be explained specifically, only general complaints about methodology.

I thought you /sci/ guys were smart guys.
>>
>>8855037
>And I'm still waiting for one of you smart guys to show me a single calculation that shows how those flaws could account for the result.

Here an entire paper:
https://tu-dresden.de/ing/maschinenwesen/ilr/rfs/ressourcen/dateien/forschung/folder-2007-08-21-5231434330/ag_raumfahrtantriebe/JPC---Direct-Thrust-Measurements-of-an-EM-Drive-and-Evaluation-of-Possible-Side-Effects.pdf?lang=en
>>
>>8848393
Hello Anon.
your level of intellect astounds me.

How did you learn so much about math to get to the point where you are right now? What fields o math are you using to make this thing? How will you get the materials and stuff to develop the actual device? I have been really interested in learning enough math to do cool space and sciency shit like this but I am not sure where to start.

At the moment I have books on Electrical Engineering, Calculus, Physics, Quantum Mechanics, and Mechanical Engineering. I chose those subjects because they are mostly what Nikola Tesla knew. I plan on researching the living fuck out of it all as best as I can.
>>
It's powered by the butthurt of the establishment by smashing their dogmatic fabrications.
>>
>>8852605

You, someone else, whatever. When do we see some LEO tests? Nobody can gainsay it if the thing just chugs along on its own.
>>
>>8847289
It harnesses the buttmad from anally ravaged physic majors, proving once and for all that engineering >>>> anything else
>>
Omg....

I.....

Type......

Like......

A.......

Giant.......

Faggot.......
>>
>>8847642
How did you write "still" in italics.
>>
>>8856074
with the anger of a thousand, shitty published papers
>>
>>8848220
>3) Is this thing too dangerous to have out there? In principle, if this thing works it is icbm tier dangerous. I am gonna get v& for publicly working on this?

Yeah, super dangerous.

reactionless drives allow the creation of planet crackers, on the cheap.

Imagine something the mass of a schoolbus, moving at 1/3 the speed of light, smacking into your planet.

KABOOM!

goodbye planet.
>>
>>8856071
youre...

not...

triggered...

are...

you???
>>
File: COD IW_E3_Retribution Hangar.jpg (274KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
COD IW_E3_Retribution Hangar.jpg
274KB, 2000x1125px
i just hope the military doesnt grab it and put it in topsecret mode. it should benefit everybody not just for warfare
>>
>>8856230
Hey Anon, could you answer my questions too?
>>8855755
>>
File: heath robinson damping.png (322KB, 814x768px) Image search: [Google]
heath robinson damping.png
322KB, 814x768px
>>8855140
Thanks for the link.

Hopefully we'll have confirmation either way soon.

China's shuttle docked the other day and maybe it was on board.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/04/22/chinas-tianzhou-1-cargo-carrier-docks-with-space-lab-in-orbit/
>>
File: 1477439495860.jpg (440KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1477439495860.jpg
440KB, 2560x1440px
>>8855755
I did double major in physics & math during my undergrad and then quantum field theory in curved spacetime in grad school...

The math that I am looking at in terms of the emdrive is quantum, e&m, and some optics... its qftcst that is giving me the most intuition about it though...

If you are looking at playing around with "mad scientist" type stuff, I would say get a bit of general relativity under your belt (this helps with intuition), and then study as much quantum as possible (from beginners to advanced, stay away from strings and supersymmetry), a little condensed matter and nanoscale stuff, and electrical engineering (this makes you think practically)... basically, start thinking about some weird ass quantum + gr stuff and see if you can engineer something similar in condensed matter or EE... Essentially, you are trying to find a nice balance between the most far out shit that can be played with using laboratory techniques...

For making the device, it looks like basic materials will suffice, i.e. evacuated metal cylinders... What is important is maximizing the effect, but that is were the experiments come in... The experiments are deal with the manipulation and control of electromagnetic radiation (sorry for being vague)... If the experiments have good results, and I got a good theory behind it, then I will try and maximize the effect.

I have basically studied a shit ton of quantum. I got a little bored of just doing theory and started to redpill on tesla... Then I saw the emdrive and it looked like my chance at doing some tesla tier science...
>>
>>8858077
That's fucking awesome. Really interesting shit here man. I'd love to learn more about mad scientist type stuff.

So, my list on subjects to study now is:
>Electrical Engineering
>Calculus
>Physics
>Quantum Mechanics
>General Relativity
>Condensed Matter
>Electromagnetism
Lots of stuff, should keep me nice and busy for a loooong time. Just what I want.

Also, what about Mechanical Engineering? It was on the list I had in the post you replied to, but so far from what I've read on it it seems ME is just a meme.

Earlier in the thread you mentioned you could produce the EM drive for personal use. Are you implying if you want to, you could make some fucking ship or something all on your own with this?

Or is space travel simply a single use of the EM drive?
>>
File: 1381636993427.jpg (705KB, 1675x1137px) Image search: [Google]
1381636993427.jpg
705KB, 1675x1137px
We're never leaving this rock are we.
>>
Shitass larper with the typing skills of 15 year old.

Fucking /sci/. This place sucks, you should all be ashamed.
>>
>>8858453
No.But not because we dont have the technology.
>>
File: 1477270571674.jpg (184KB, 1277x729px) Image search: [Google]
1477270571674.jpg
184KB, 1277x729px
>>8858125
I am pretty sure the more fields you study, the more you will start to think of ideas. ME is solid but might be too "mechanical" for this type of stuff. The only fields I know of that are meme tier are strings and supersymmetry...

I would also emphasize studying bound states in quantum... particle in a box, harmonic oscillator, and other potentials, as well as approximation methods for bound states... That is where the majority of my intuition comes from now that I think of it...

I can not currently make one... My situation is as follows; I am currently working on the emdrive theoretically and doing very basic experiments, I am going to a place with all the facilities necessary to pin this thing down legitimately (i.e. found out once and for all if it really works), and where I am going has infrastructure in place to help scientists develop start ups based on newly discovered tech (and most importantly protect them for a small piece of the pie of course)... So, if it works, I am gonna try and start a spacex/weylandyutani type company and crack space wide open...

this does imply making "space ships". moreover, the technology involved seems that these things are legitimate garage band space ships. Look at the emdrive, its literally a microwave oven strapped to a capped bucket.

Fundamentally this device converts electromagnetic energy to kinetic energy so you can make all sorts of fun little engines with it, but I would imagine the most novel would be a "rocket" engine like the em drive...

Just to be clear though... what I am claiming is this; There is a valid (as in backed by tier 1 published literature) path that I claim as a hypothesis as to how the em drives works, I am following that path to completion, I am going to an institution that has the facilities to accomplish this, and if it works I am going all in and starting a business.

I WILL see the hypothesis to completion and find out if it works... goodtimes :)
>>
File: 1477618119656.png (45KB, 1314x1054px) Image search: [Google]
1477618119656.png
45KB, 1314x1054px
>>8855920
If its up to me... I can envision a working model capable of leo tests within 5 years...

What makes this idea attractive is that you don't have to worry about mass as much as with rockets... you could strap an airtight safe to it and fashion a steering wheel and go to the moon... its a game changer (if it works)!
>>
File: 1477031616994.jpg (52KB, 350x443px) Image search: [Google]
1477031616994.jpg
52KB, 350x443px
>>8856230
this exactly the point... its basically nukes (and way worse) for everyone...

I will just strap some blue lights and speakers (playing some transformers bass track) to it so people think there is something weird shit going on... smoke and mirrors...
>>
File: 1478142922239.jpg (292KB, 1920x1278px) Image search: [Google]
1478142922239.jpg
292KB, 1920x1278px
>>8858453
I am trying senpai...
>>
If your theory is correct, what kind of thrust are we talking about here?
>>
>>8858749
I really don't know much about building machines and what not. Unless Electrical Engineering covers it.

Even then, doesn't Mechanical Engineering cover generation of power? So I'd need to learn how to power the shit I make from EE?

Also, you say garage band space ships.

It probably is my lack of imagination and machine building skill, but I still don't see how you can home build this type of shit without massive backing and stuff. People to build components and sophisticated stuff. Then again, Nikola Tesla made a bunch of cool shit.

Like yeah, the EMDrive is a microwave oven strapped to a capped bucket, but what about what is INSIDE that shit? That's the part I'm stumped on.

Shit, Nikola Tesla is my main inspiration for getting into this stuff. The motherfucker was making a ray gun in his basement. And was making wireless electricity. That's fucking awesome.
>>
>>8858749
Oh by the way, unrelated to science, but how old are you? You said you completed a PHD, did you skip any grades and what not? How did you get into all this stuff anyway?
>>
>meme answer
it doesn't
>real answer
results inconclusive, but it's worth examining more closely and rigorously
>>
>>8848041
LARPer pls.
>>
File: le trashman.jpg (13KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
le trashman.jpg
13KB, 250x250px
>>8848090
>... :)
>>
>>8858945
>Most likely answer
It doesn't, any amount of thrust coming from it has been confirmed as experimental error.
>>
>>8858990
confirmed by [citation needed]
>>
>>8858997
Confirmed by the fucking scientists who published the paper you cuck.
>>
>>8858873
I don't know that yet... I imagine it will depend on lots of factors such as wavelength, geometry, intensity, etc... ideal would be atleast 1g for some realistic spaceship sized mass...
>>
>>8858939
Actually generation of power is actually a good thing to look into... good call...

At the end of the day it is unlikely that it could be built in a garage. There will probably be some pretty dangerous electronics (high voltage, etc.) that would need serious consideration while constructing and there would definitely need to have some investment. I just meant that it wouldnt take a nasa scale effort to make it... Barring the need for exotic materials, it would estimate a cost of ~10 million to make something halfway decent...

I do have an idea for how it works, but I am not going to say until i publish (I really dont want to sound like a pretentious ass). My idea may actually be different but is "inspired" by the emdrive... I will be sure to make a thread here if/when it gets published...

nikola tesla was a god damn savage!
>>
>>8858944
I am the typical age of someone finishing a phd... perhaps 3 or 4 years older than the average actually (I transfered schools and then had to wait for a post doc). I screwed off bad in grade school (skateboarding). I just applied myself when I got to college to catch up. 100% hard work, no question about it.

I liked physics when i took it in high school (it was the one class i wouldnt skip). When I got to school I just followed what interested me and that eventually pointed me at quantum field theory in curved spacetime.
>>
File: 3452345.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
3452345.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>8847289
>Magic
>Space
>Beans

I mean

>Magic
>Space
>Vaginas
>>
>>8859124
>>8859139
Thank you so much for the information. I'm looking into getting a lot of books now.

Speaking of books, are there any good books in particular that have stood out to you as being fantastic in your line of work?

At the moment, I don't even know all of Pre-calc, I already have Algebra down so I'm learning all I can about Geometry, then Trig, and then I'll start on my Physics books, so I'm just trying to get a good library I can work my way through.
>>
>>8859124
well propulsion is one thing, what about the vacuum of space? how will the ship survive that? wont you need advanced ship building shit for that?
>>
>>8856230

You still need to put the electrical energy into the thing to get it up to relativistic velocities in a vacuum

That will require lots of energy
>>
>>8858453
Nope. I'm going to double atmospheric methane in a few years. I'm not stopping at double either. It was a nice try but ultimately a failure that must be contained.
>>
>>8847289
Magnets and Gamma Radiation.
>>
>>8859006
yes but which paper?
also, was it proven experimentally or did they examine the data and draw the conclusion that it was anomalous instead of thrust?
>>
>>8847289
it doesn't
>>
>>8859265
get crackin on that calculus bro... :)

griffiths e&m and quantum are pretty good. I used Morrison for quantum. There are solution manuels for griffiths too so you can roll through them without getting stuck... for qftcst the best intro hands down is mukhanov and winitzki and the standard, more advanced, reference is birrel and davies... for gr proper, I would get general relativity demystified and carrols book... for qft i say good luck cause it is a shitshow no matter what you do :) ...

if you are starting from the beginning with physics, I would recommend getting "REA problem solver's physics"... it has worked solutions starting from adding vectors all the way up to modern physics...

the fastest way to learn these things is to get books with solution manuels, let that guide book selection...

repeat after me: mother fucking landau lifshitz! If you work through those books (and they are accessable) then you will emerge a savage ass russian style mathematical barbarian. Those books are amazing.
>>
>>8859371
this is true, but a lot of the main difficulty of constructing spaceships is keeping the weight down. If the weight requirement is relieved, then you can literally take a scuba tank for air and jump in a air tight safe...

This is a bit hyperbolic of course, the point is that this type of engine solves a lot of problems that required extremely advanced engineering to overcome... How much it simplifies the design is yet to be seen but I can imagine that it will make things very simple.
>>
>>8861135
>>8861150
Well my book selection is coming along nicely. I gotta add your recommendations now.

Do you get paid to research this stuff by the way? This shit is going to take me forever to work through.
>>
File: 1477007342935.jpg (27KB, 810x607px) Image search: [Google]
1477007342935.jpg
27KB, 810x607px
>>8861463
Nice... I would also add feynmans book on gravitation. thats a gem.

I get paid to research. During grad school i was either paid to teach or do research, either way I still did research. At my post doc its just pure research. I cant wait!
>>
>>8861516
Damn. If I could find a job like that I'd love it. I fucking love learning stuff. So far the only thing I've been committed to career wise is just Comp Sci since that atleast lets me learn new technologies to keep up with the line of work. I'm starting to consider majoring in Mathemataics or Physics now though.
>>
>>8861519
computer science is not a bad investment... quantum computation is becoming one of the most active fields in physics. I would bet money that quantum computers will take off soon in a big way...
>>
File: C5IpaP8WYAEFgPh.jpg (185KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C5IpaP8WYAEFgPh.jpg
185KB, 1200x1200px
how did you hear about it? do you know other people who are building one?
>>
>>8861516
so whats stopping you from just keeping this tech to yourself and just becoming a rl doctor who and leaving this shithole planet?
>>
>>8859878
They examined the data and found the effect disappeared with subtle adjustments to the atmosphere they were testing in,.
>>
\mathbf Latex
>>
Hh
>>
File: 1336196676858.gif (183KB, 214x200px) Image search: [Google]
1336196676858.gif
183KB, 214x200px
>>8848206
>Then what is the propellant.
hopes and dreams anon.
>>
>>8847289
>how does it work
A better question
>does it work
Probably not
>>
>>8861804
well, if it works, i want to start a space company... I would definitely take a few test drives for glories sake though... :)
Thread posts: 152
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.