[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats it like working in a thermal power plant (probably not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Whats it like working in a thermal power plant (probably not nuke) as an engineer?I have heard it can be pretty demanding.

What about other gigs in generation/distribution?
>>
>>8843375

It's interesting but fairly boring. If it is well maintained than turnarounds are the only major thing. You are just optimizing and troubleshooting on a system that is fairly standard.
>>
>>8843375
how fucking big is that thing exactly? no nearby reference to compare
>>
>>8843375
the level of excitement is proportional to your stupidity. if you stay on top of shit, most of your day is spent just walking the plant floor and dicking around in maximo.

there are times where you have to scramble and put in a 22 hour day, but they are hopefully few in number and are part of some planned outage/event. having SHTF like in your pic means someone is getting fired, at least in the US.
>>
>>8843409
I think the flange is around 18" across.
>>
>>8843375
How much energy would it take to snap a rod like that?
>>
>>8843409
>no nearby reference to compare
>not seeing the ~3 ft handrailing next to it.
>>
>>8843419
Well considering that the rotor in a gas turbine is spinning at a couple thousand RPM. Even if the rotor was off balance by a few points it would totally spin itself to destruction. Not to mention that at the high operating temperature, even the high temp steel they use would start to get a little rubbery.

So a lot of force I guess. But not as much as you'd think,
>>
>>8843375

Yes is pretty demanding, there is one word to keep thing working there, programming and preventive maintenance.
>>
>>8843436
Well, there are two words :)
>>
>>8843375

Depends on the specific country, power company, plant and regulatory environment. Working for a PG&E gas plant during the Enron days would have been hell (as your superiors would be specifically telling you to operate equipment in such a way that could easily damage it) but today it's much better. Working any sort of nuclear job west of the Mississippi is waiting for the end, whereas things on the eastern seaboard are much cheerier.
>>
>>8843415
Please, keep it metric here on /sci/.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.