[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to study from textbooks in Uni?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1490047178257.gif (99KB, 904x904px) Image search: [Google]
1490047178257.gif
99KB, 904x904px
>Self study
How do uni students who get 4.0s study? What are they doing that I'm not outside of class to get that A+ when it comes to studying from textbooks?
>>
doing the exercises
>>
>>8838312
Pretty much this, if you have access to the answers just drill them over and over until you can consistently get to said answers
>>
>>8838309
Read the textbook

Have 3 notebooks:

Verbose notes notebook: write down the main theorems and concepts, as well as steps for calculation processes, plus 2-3 example problems of different types

Succinct notes notebook: write down the main theorems and concepts again, anything you don't already know by heart

Problems notebook: do the example problems

Make sure to label all 3 notebooks consistently and accurately for each chapter, section, and page
>>
>>8838309
It's simple. Find out the questions you'll be asked. Find out the answers. When asked a question give the answer. Memorize everything they could ask and you're set.

Serious this time. Do the homework assigned and even more problems from the book when you don't get something. When you get things wrong redo them. You'll be ready when you look back and you can easily do everything you've done again without looking it up or anything. Notes are actually optional for the most part. Anything can just be looked up in the book.
>>
>>8838309
3-4 notebooks for every course you're taking, anon.

Notebook 1: First reading of material. You read every fucking word of the textbook, and make an attempt to work through the examples before looking at the answer. This shit will be messy and somewhat verbose, leading to the second notebook.

Notebook 2: God-tier copy of the notes. Write these as if you were an instructor teaching a class. They should be neat and highlight all the important points. When I say write these notes as if you were an instructor, I mean write them at a level of quality you'd feel happy with as a student; students need to understand material before completing exercises on them, which brings us to the third notebook.

Notebook 3: Exercises. This is a pretty simple one, a notebook for all the exercises you do. I like to write a first attempt, then a good copy/correction. The good copy should just be a neat presentation of my previous solution, the correction should additionally identify where I went wrong in my first attempt. You should also consider exploring alternative solutions to problems in this notebook (George Polya recommends this step).

Book 4: This one is optional, it's for lecture notes. Some professors have notes they hand out, meaning this one isn't needed. If your professor doesn't hand out notes, this is probably a good thing to have.
>>
>>8838309
There are two things you need to be doing that you probably aren't if you're trying but not seeing results.

One is spending most of your time doing exercises. Reading is mostly useless as far as grades go; you need to know how to _do_ the problems in order to perform them on a test.
Another is proper focus. Effective studying involves lasering in on exactly what you are bad at and practicing that. Ineffective studiers will waste their time doing problems that don't make them uncomfortable because it feels like you're still practicing this way, but this is like going to the gym and curling a 5lb dumbbell. If you don't feel stupid you don't really need to be studying what you are.
>>
>>8838448
>>8838350
Not op, but what's wrong with using 1 notebook. With alternating pages of problems/notes?
I would honestly prefer to use more, but i can't fit 20 notebooks in my backpack.
>>
>>8838309
>What is reading and taking notes
>>
>>8838483
That's fine as well anon in fact I used to do that and only recently switched to the multiple notebook method.
>>
They' don't study. They just lie about their gpa on 4chan while saying they smoke pot every day.
>>
>>8838309
>How do uni students who get 4.0s study?

They don't get STEM majors. The ones who are and get a 4.0 are just born that way.
>>
>>8838483
Are you dense? Get a fucking tablet.
>>
>>8840959
Some people prefer the flexibility of pen and paper you dumb millennial shit.
>>
>>8840959
>using a tablet for notes/maths/technical subjects
God, I fucking cringe when I see this. It's literally the first sign of a brainlet who's more worried about appearing savvy than actually being competent. It's also fucking awful for your eyes to be studying off a blue light lit surface
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.