[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good false theorems.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: FB_IMG_1492501942189.jpg (146KB, 1364x1278px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1492501942189.jpg
146KB, 1364x1278px
Reflexive property of an equivalence relation is redundant.
Proof. Let ~ be an equivalence relation and pick x,y such that x~y. By symmetry, y~x. By transitivity, x~x.
Anyone got any more?
Also, spot the flaw. If you can't you should go back to 11th grade.
>>
Define x and y
>>
>>8836620
You can't pick x and y. The relation has to be true for all x and y in some group
>>
>>8836771
Are you stupid?
>>8836794
Brainlet. Consider the set {1,2,3} and the congruence mod 2 relation. You clearly do have to pick x and y e.g. x= 3, y = 1 since 3 mod 2 = 1 mod 2.
Why do you not have to "pick"?
>>
>>8836620
e z p z

There may not be any elements relating to x.

My turn:

Let L be a loop in the 2-sphere, S^2. Choose a point p on the sphere that the loop doesn't hit. S^2-{p} is homeomorphic to R^2 which is simply connected. Thus you can contract L in S^2-{p}, and so you can contract L in S^2. Therefore S^2 has trivial fundamental group.
>>
>>8838352
>>8838352
What if you pick x and y from an empty set? You have to say what your objects belong to and assume they are. Pick,let,choose are not good enough.
>>
>>8836620
>false theorems

.999...=1
>>
>>8838369

Shit, technically this is a false proof of a true theorem.
>>
>>8838369
how is that a false proof?
>>
>>8836620
Existentialism is for brainlets
Text: ignored
>>
>>8838391

.99999... is more the limit of a number that is growing infinitely closer to 1, or in other words 1. There aren't any integers that you can divide to get .999999.... so honestly its hardly a number but rather a theoretical geometric sum
>>
>>8838480
I guess you can find curves that fill the sphere
>>
>>8838391
>>8838820
Just to put this to rest before it starts.
>>
>>8839016
tank youu desu
everyone save this and use it
>>
>>8838853
that occurred to me, but in arguments like this one, it's standard to implicitly assume that the loops are smooth, based on results like this

https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/298873/approximate-continuous-mapping-by-smooth-mappings-on-manifoldbott-tu-book

and i don't believe a smooth map from S1 to S2 can be surjective
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.