[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Negative Mass

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 58f4cb2c665e6.png (65KB, 473x161px) Image search: [Google]
58f4cb2c665e6.png
65KB, 473x161px
Article: https://phys.org/news/2017-04-physicists-negative-mass.html
Paper: https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.118.155301
Can someone explain to me what this means?
How can any atoms have negative mass?
Does this mean that we
>FTL
Now?
>>
>>8835201
>first sentence of the abstract

The experiment influenced matter to acting as if it had negative mass, despite having mass. That's why the term "effective" is used. The atoms have negative effective mass, because they've been subject to conditions in which they behave in a manner that is analogous to their mass being negative.

>FTL

No, and we never will. The popularized cuckdrive doesn't actually travel faster than light, it travels a distance in a period of time which is faster than light would travel the original distance before perturbation.
>>
as JonDang wrote under the article :
"To me it sounds like a phenomenon related to negative temperature. By applying those lasers, the atoms were confined, which also bounded the energy upwards, and at the same time excited by those lasers. When you pump in more energy than it takes for maximum entropy state, the whole system starts behaving as a negative-temperature system – microstates with higher energy are favoured, as the total energy is too high anyway.
Apply a force – a potential field, and atoms will flow towards higher energy states – towards the direction the force was applied from."
In shorter terms: if you wonna FTL with it, good luck building the LASERs to 1st lock all atoms in the ship without killing the crew or screwing up any energy systems and 2nd keeping the hole system in the "push" state all the time.
>>
>>8835230
>good luck building the LASERs to 1st lock all atoms in the ship without killing the crew or screwing up any energy systems and 2nd keeping the hole system in the "push" state all the time.

Thanks for the well wishes. Im off to start building.
>>
>>8835216
>Doesn't actually travel at the speed of light
>just travels to an area faster than light would
What are semantics
>>
>>8835271
>before perturbation

It helps to read to the end of the line before replying, it makes you appear less of a total fucking moron.
>>
>>8835201
The magnetic moment of an electron is proportional to charge / mass.

The moment can be positive or negative implying that mass can be negative since charge is fixed.
>>
File: 1485366824469.jpg (52KB, 500x299px) Image search: [Google]
1485366824469.jpg
52KB, 500x299px
>>8835306
>Implying perturbation matters
>Implying your nitpicking about "not actually traveling at the speed of light" didn't make you look like an absolute loser
In every reference frame besides the ships own, it traveled faster than light, and that is all that matters.
>>
>>8835201
Bump
>>
The same way a low pressure container can be said to have negative pressure.

Literally nothing but shitty math majors playing with words.
>>
>>8835357
Most people don't understand the concept of inertial reference frames because high school physics is taught as a plug and chug course. Making the distinction is important so you don't wind up with brainlets thinking that this sort of thing is breaking the laws of physics.
>>
>>8836761
This is different. Since all the particles have negative magnetic spin, the effective mass is negative
>>
>>8835201
EFFECTIVE MASS

EVERY FUCKING ARTICLE TALKING ABOUT NEGATIVE MASS AND WARP DRIVES AND SHIT NOW. IT STILL HAS POSITIVE MASS YOU GOD DAMN ILLITERATE 'SCIENCE JOURNALISTS'

no this does not violate newtons second law
no this does not violate conservation of momentum
no we did not discover anti gravity
no this doesn't BTFO science
no you cant use this for FTL

I have a degree in physics (that although not allowing me to get a job, allows me to understand shit like this) and some retard communications major on facebook is arguing with me about how we mass effect now. god fucking dammit i hate these people.
>>
>>8837376
anon the persons background doesn't matter, what matters is their argument :^)
>>
>>8837376
Then you should know it's called effective mass because the mass of the condensate is negative. If you considered the mass of each individual particle as negative, they'd all scatter away with any perturbation of the system.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.