[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you justify autodidacticism? Is there any good reason to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1477912154605.png (476KB, 1200x627px) Image search: [Google]
1477912154605.png
476KB, 1200x627px
Can you justify autodidacticism? Is there any good reason to learn science or mathematics on your own if you won't have the capacity to contribute?

"Because it's fun" isn't a good reason, by the way, because studying science/math is inherently not fun.
>>
>>8828747
All great men [sic] have been autodidactic to a certain degree and normally in the extreme.
>>
>>8828753
Not anymore. And "all great men were autodidacts" does not imply that "all autodidacts have the ability to be great men." This doesn't justify the autodidactic pursuit.
>>
>>8828779
>Not anymore.
A great deal of [CITATION] needed.
>This doesn't justify the autodidactic pursuit.
Any self-directed study (read: dedication) is, by definition, a 'form' of autodidacticism.
>>
>>8828747
>"Because it's fun" isn't a good reason, by the way, because studying science/math is inherently not fun.

This is why you will never be an exceptional person. To someone who is actually smart, learning things IS fun. Hence, no matter what such a person chooses to study at college, he WILL also be an autodidact, tho he will frame it something like "Ancient History is my hobby!"
>>
>>8828747
>if you won't have the capacity to contribute
everyone has the capacity to contribute with enough hard work
>>
>>8828810
Good luck publishing research without a PhD and an academic job.
>>
>>8828747
>because studying science/math is inherently not fun.
why are you on a discussion board for science and math if you don't like science or math
>>
>>8828812
I want to like it. It seems interesting. But I can't bring myself to admit that learning it is "fun."
>>
>>8828804
This post is the best post in this thread, followed by: >>8828811
>>
>>8828747
>"Because it's fun" isn't a good reason, by the way, because studying science/math is inherently not fun.
So just because its not inherently fun, means others can't find it fun?
>>
>>8828747
>because studying science/math is inherently not fun.
Is this bait?
>>
>>8828851
>So just because its not inherently fun, means others can't find it fun?
Yes, that's what "inherently" means.
>>
>>8828860
It's not. Has anyone ever said to themselves "Oh boy, I can't wait to learn about quantum mechanics today! Reading this dry text on topology is so much fun!"? No, that has never happened, with the exception of a select few ultra-autists.
>>
>>8828747

Why do kids play basketball if they will probably never play in the NBA?

because they hope they will eventually play in the NBA
>>
>>8828747

That's subjective, and if you feel that way, there aren't many reasons for you to study science/math. I'd say learn calculus I & II and calculus based statistics because you need that to evaluate evidence and then call it a day, there's no practical reason for you to learn science after that.
>>
>>8828804
It's only fun when I'm learning something I want.
>mfw forced to learnt history in high school, hated my life back then cause then I'm forced to ace something I hate.
Well, now that I get to choose my major I'm happy where I am. Learning is difficult if you have shit forced down your throat.
>>
>>8828945
Then you're still a brainlet.
>>
>>8828747
it's not worthwhile in 2017. In say 1905, nobody gave a shit whether or not you had a university degree if you knew what you were doing. You were just considered highly intelligent. In 2017, you need a degree for the computer looking at your application to go past that and see how qualified you really are, and that's for the best. We don't need errors in science and mathematics.

If you're doing your own thing, then who cares, but otherwise you need a degree.

Get a degree and be an autodidact at the same time. Learn on your own time many things in your field. This is what everyone is supposed to be doing anyway, but nobody does it.

also, studying math and science is fun. I don't know what retard genes your parents gave you, but I don't think you're fit for any high level work if these are your true feelings.
>>
>>8828867
>Has anyone ever said to themselves "Oh boy, I can't wait to learn about quantum mechanics
Yes actually, quantum mechanics is a topic I'm greatly interested in learning. I'm not even physics major, but I'm excited for the moment I get to learn a bit about it in physical chem. From the tidbits I've gotten here and there it just seems fun.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.