[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain Big O notation to me like I was a fucking moron

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1487469070506.jpg (10KB, 199x257px) Image search: [Google]
1487469070506.jpg
10KB, 199x257px
Explain Big O notation to me like I was a fucking moron
>>
>>8825563

>like I was a fucking moron
>like
>>
File: DVD1-Cover.jpg (291KB, 983x1445px) Image search: [Google]
DVD1-Cover.jpg
291KB, 983x1445px
>>8825563
Big-O just says "processing time relative to the number of items you have to process won't rise any faster (on average) than a certain rate". If one algorithm has a larger big-O than another algorithm, that just means that the first algorithm is less efficient than the other one and will take longer to process the same number of items as the other one.
>>
>>8825610
>remember, I'm a moron

tl;dr
>>
>>8825610

Only asymptotically.

For example f(n) = 100000n is O(n).

Also big-O is <= not <. You're thinking of litte-o

f(n) is O(g(n)) if for some FIXED c, k > 0, all n >= n, f(n) <= c*g(n).

replace <= with < to get O(g(n)), > to get omega(g(n)), and >= to get Omega(g(n)), and = to get theta(g(n)).

Also, big-O doesn't necessarily mean algorithm, or even if it does mean algorithm, it is not necessarily the time complexity (it could be space). Big-O is just general assymptotic function bounding notation.
>>
>>8825623
You are technically correct (which is the best kind of correct). However, see >>8825618. Most of the time, if you have to think about big-O, it'll be for execution time.
>>
It tells you how much hand-waving you put into your numerical output
>>
>>8825654

Only in terms of asymptotically though. When you have real-world things like caching, etc going through, everything goes to shit. Often times a linear array is going to outperform fancy stuff for most reasonable-sized inputs, even when it's O(n) vs O(logn) due to having to jump everywhere in memory vs read in a line.

And even without that, you still get algorithms with constants that will be bigger than logn terms for most sane values of n.
>>
>>8825623
>Big-O is just general assymptotic [sic] function bounding notation.
I am not OM (original moron) but I guess this means that the Big-O definition should be expressible in analytic terms?
I mean,
>f(n) is O(g(n)) if for some FIXED c, k > 0, all n >= n, f(n) <= c*g(n).
shouldn't be too hard to convert into a statement about convergence of some tail filter.
>>
>>8825825
>should be expressible in analytic terms?

It's often given in terms of limits where you have [math]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{f(n)}{g(n)}[/math] and see if it's 0, a constant or infinity
>>
>>8825563
What is the big O running time of Kartatsuba algorithm
>>
You have to find the clitoris.
>>
>>8825831
[math]
\displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(n)}{g(n)}
[/math]
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.