[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Memorizing the Table of Derivatives.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: fig07form.gif (14KB, 598x556px) Image search: [Google]
fig07form.gif
14KB, 598x556px
I know a lot of people here will think of this formulas as child's play, but I'm studying IT / Programing and I was wondering if at the exam there are places where you are allowed to have a copy of the table of derivatives and integrals.

I understand the concepts behind this math, so, is there a point in memorizing them for just one or two tests?
>>
Do 20 or mote tedious examples and you will probably wobt forget the most basic ones. Many can be derived by either pure chain rule + other rules and trig identities. There's really no need to memorize them with a table except you are a legit brainlet.
>>
File: derivative-definition.jpg (4KB, 319x96px) Image search: [Google]
derivative-definition.jpg
4KB, 319x96px
>>8825305
this is all you need to memorize, you brainlet fuck.
>>
>>8825305
After Calc 1 I was allowed to just bring a flash card with derivatives.

Now, after Calc 2, I was allowed to bring a flash card with integrals.
If your university isn't shit they should allow the same.

>I understand the concepts behind this math, so, is there a point in memorizing them for just one or two tests?

There really is no point for forcing yourself to memorize derivatives but if you truly understand the material you will eventually memorize them without realizing it. For me, every time I have to remake my flash cards (I am a messy person and they get damaged or lost) I find that there are less and less identities I feel like I should put. I read a complete table of derivatives/integrals and like 90% are of the kind that I know I could derive in less than half a second. Now I buy the extra small flash card paper because I don't need that much when in the past I used jumbo sized flashcards.
>>
File: b.jpg (25KB, 625x175px) Image search: [Google]
b.jpg
25KB, 625x175px
>>8825315
>not using the definition in pi related

lol how is Calc I for retards going?
>>
File: Capture.png (37KB, 1068x555px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
37KB, 1068x555px
>>8825305
You don't need all of them.
>>
File: noice.png (41KB, 1068x555px) Image search: [Google]
noice.png
41KB, 1068x555px
>>8825356
you don't even need those
just never forget the product rule, dummy
>>
>>8825694
You can find sinh and cosh using e^x, so cross those as well. :^)
>>
>>8825694
>>8825713
same for sin and cos, and you can find log by implicit diff:

y = lnx
e^y = x
dy/dx e^y = 1
dy/dx = 1/e^y = 1/x

turns out all you need it D(x^n) = nx^(n-1) and D(e^x) = e^x
>>
>>8825738
You dumb shit, the whole point of the table is to save you time during the exam, you don't have to prove anything. You can just remember the ones that are more common and work out the ones that are not and happen to comes out.
>>
>>8825713
>>8825694
>>8825356
>3.0lets itt
Part of being an A student is demonstrating the wherewithal to know which information to commit to memory before the test.

If you have to fucking derive every formula you won't even get halfway through the test.

memorize everything you can op, but also learn the derivations
especially for csc x, a^x, arctan x. the latter two need implicit diff.
you need memorized formulas to finish the test quickly. you need to know how to derive the formulas so you can accurately check your work. the combination of those two things will get you 100%
>>
>>8825757
>calls me dumb shit
>for wasting 10 seconds deriving rules
you're not going to get anywhere by memorizing stuff in math, you retarded fucking baboon
>>
Op here. Well, I've memorized about 70% of them. Not so bad.
But still think they should allow us to have the thing printed next to the exam sheet.
Because the day I'll need to program something like this I'll just google the code from somewhere and copy paste it.
>>
>>8825796
No one really gives a shit you stupid code monkey.
>>
>>8825305
don't listen to this

>muh superior mind can derive dis on the spot

just memorize the more common ones (e^x,lnx, sinx...) and those which are useful during certain integral substitutions (t-substitution, logarithms, etc).

Also do a lot of practice
>>
>>8825305

They were always allowed at my test. Ask the fucking professor.
>>
This shit was dope when I was doing diff and integral calc. Never had trouble with trig derivatives.

https://youtu.be/apXayVtvCCc?t=65
>>
>>8825796
You should have these memorized if you plan on taking integral calculus, desu. If you don't, you'll have a hell of a time with integration. You need to instantly recognize that the derivative of arctanx is 1/1+x^2 or you're not going to recognize the integral of 20/1+(5x)^2 is just some version of arctanx.

Also, spoiler - you don't need to know how to take a derivative to program. It won't really get directly used anywhere in undergrad, but they make you take calculus because knowing the concept of the derivative is useful, and basic mathematical concepts like it can change the way you think.
>>
>>8825355
I've always liked this definition more, it just seems clearer
>>
>>8825355
While this definition is perfectly valid, the only thing that it doesn't teach with it (and is harder to introduce to students) is the fact that you're changing your x value by an infinitesimally small amount - the "h" really shows the actual derivative part.

I'm not saying that this definition is bad, but it might be confusing for those trying to learn calculus and the concept as a whole.
>>
This >>8825315 is my fav definition, I think it's much more intuitive, since you have the literal dx as the "change" which is the most basic principle of cslculus. As a concepts it's clearer, IMO, compared to
>>8825355
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.