[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

open university

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: ou.jpg (67KB, 328x224px) Image search: [Google]
ou.jpg
67KB, 328x224px
can /sci/ redpill me on the open university? what's the deal with it? will any respectable institution hire me/allow to go into postgraduate study with a bachelors from this place? Thinking about going for mathematics and physics. Won't I be severely disadvantaged not having access to an actual lab?
>>
It's very well regarded don't write it off just because it's not a campus university.

It's also now FAR cheaper than a campus uni. But obviously you're not going to get the social aspect of attending a real university and if you're a teenage autist like everyone else on /sci/ I really can't stress how important that is.

It's perfectly possible to study for example Maths at the Open Uni and then do a postgrad at Imperial or Cambridge but I'm not sure how Physics works because of the lab requirements, I believe the OU has lab centres you attend in person.
>>
>>8826171
that's great news, thanks anon. I would much rather attend a brick and mortar university, but the issue is I didn't take mathematics at a high enough level at highschool. I've been accepted to a bunch of physics courses, but the one I accepted isn't willing to let me study math alongside because of this. Very frustrating.
>>
>>8826401
>physics courses
meant to say chemistry courses.
>>
File: catshrug.png (245KB, 500x342px) Image search: [Google]
catshrug.png
245KB, 500x342px
>>8824996
I am also considering doing an OU course.

Im just afraid that it'll be "CV to the bottom of the pile" material.
>>
Has anyone on /sci/ actually graduated from open university and went on to gainful employment/postgrad study?
>>
>>8826410
>Im just afraid that it'll be "CV to the bottom of the pile" material.

I think employers will respect anyone who has done a degree with the OU. It's not like you can spend a lot of time getting pissed and dossing around.
>>
how are their degrees as compared to traditional colleges?
are they well respected?
>>
File: IMG_1043.jpg (144KB, 960x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1043.jpg
144KB, 960x1200px
Test
>>
> Open University
What's that? Is it free?
>>
>>8826825

It really depends on the subject you are taking, but the single best thing you can do at university is to get summer and year long placements(between 2nd and 3rd year) at all costs.

A degree isn't worth shit anymore, 90% of kids from top 20 uni's graduate with at least a year in industry placement under their belt.

Success at uni is mainly what you do to add shit to your CV. If all you have is just the degree then employers won't look twice.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.