[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Now lets look at a real world application

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: 14453526565790.jpg (7KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
14453526565790.jpg
7KB, 250x241px
>Now lets look at a real world application
>>
>>8820402
>study math
>have the option to study financial mathematics
>refuse because it sounds boring and don't want to earn money
>>
>>8820402
>""""""""""""""""""""""real"""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>8820406
The class is called calculus, not "calculus with financial applications"

Theres multiple brainlet calculus classes, they can go there.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
> be in a study group
> lots of STEM brainlets
> think they know shit just because they can spell "Fourier"
> cannot appreciate the beauty and usefulness of any mathematical fact without resorting to cheap, hand waving "applications" every 15 minutes
> get nervous and give up on "mathematical manipulations", because they want to "understand" it

Bitch, the fucking cat does not exists. It's a stupid analogy for the absurdity of quantum mechanics.
>>
>>8820424
>still taking calculus
>calling other people brainlets
>>
This is what I like about Computer Science, you can enjoy the theory of some algorithm and then make use of it by implementing it using a programming language to do some work on real data.
>>
>>8820432
>mfw my 5 year old brainlet brother is still in kindergarden

baka
>>
>>8820430
you don't exist. at least not by any metric of worth
>>
>>8820436
haha whatever you say cs brainlet
>>
>>8820443
I'm not a brainlet.
>>
>>8820439
There are people there aren't lazy shits like you
>>
>>8820412
are you saying there aren't people who are paid to work out how long it will take to get a certain concentration of salt water in a container if it's being drained at a particular rate?
>>
>>8820430
The right hand rule always pisses me off
>>
>>8820402
>muh mathematical "beauty"
Enjoy that 35k in black neighborhood school starting OP, while I do some job that doesn't require that much math and with 90k starting with lots of benefits

Stats and OR brehs know this well too.
>>
>>8820706
Enjoy being stuck there forever. You need a pure math masters to do any 6 figure work.
>>
>>8820448
hahaha aww thats cute little brainlet
>>
>>8820436
Had a ta say that exact thing last august.
Wonder if you're him.
>>
>Poor brainlet tier
Humanities (except for law and economics)
Physical Education
Nutrition
Business
Marketing

>High income tier
Engineering
Applied mathematics
Experimental physics
Medicine
CS
Law
Economics

>High intellect + plus average/low income tier
Pure mathematics
Theoretical physics

Income x intellectual challenge follows a parabola-like graph. The absolute brainlet-tier courses will give you little money. The hardest courses will give you some money but are not gonna make you rich. The most profitable courses have some degree of difficulty, but can't be too abstract as they should be applicable to the real world.
>>
>>8820430
>Falling for the "math is beautiful" meme

Nobody in history ever actually thought this until reddit-tier pop science faggots started flooding in with this Education degrees

Math has ALWAYS been used to solve real problems. You're the one ruining its true utility.
>>
>>8820430
But QM works fine as a model.
>>
>>8820436
Yeah, but there are a lot of fields that are like that.
>>
>>8821827
That guy is a pseudo-intellectual desperate to feel superior to his peers, ignore him.
>>
>>8821814
What was the real world application of
Proving there are infinity many primes in 200bc?
>>
>>8821838
Euclid defined a prime as a measurement unit that could not be reduced.

Numbers didn't even exist back then
>>
>>8821847
What's a number?
>>
>>8821808
>tfw they removed applied mathematics from my schools curriculum
>tfw stuck doing general mathematics because engineering mathematics assfucks my schedule forever
>>
File: image.jpg (163KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163KB, 1280x1280px
>a factory worker is moving this box up an incline with a spring pushing back on him
>>
>>8820564
It just werks tho. It's either that or do some mental math plugging in numbers to formulas.
>>
this is why you guys never analize the stock market and never win. you only circlejerk dick eachother
>>
t. Maths Major
>>
>>8820448
FUCKING KEK
>>
File: 1490654417222.jpg (65KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
1490654417222.jpg
65KB, 411x412px
>>8820402

>real world application makes it on the final
>>
File: IMG_0613.jpg (30KB, 571x553px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0613.jpg
30KB, 571x553px
>>8821869
>the people solving these problems go on to become said factory worker

like pottery
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.