[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Force propagation speed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: poor problem drawing.png (9KB, 758x482px) Image search: [Google]
poor problem drawing.png
9KB, 758x482px
Suppose there's a very long bar in space, which is about to be hit by a space hammer. At the exact same time that the bar receives the hit, a photon cannon releases a photon at the speed of light in a vacuum. The extremity of the bar which receives the hit and the exit of the cannon are placed at the exact same distance from a vertical red line. Which cross the red line first, the bar or the photon? Or both cross it at the same time? Can physics solve this?
Pic related.
>>
>Is the speed of light in a vacuum greater or less than the speed of sound in the bar?
Gee, can physics solve this?
>>
>>8819187
>>8815000
>>
Of course it can. The impulse you give to the bar travels at the speed of sound in this material, meanwhile the photon travels at the "speed of light" The photon crosses the line first... BY FAR
>>
>>8819187
Think of the bar as being a bunch of smaller parts - atoms, if you want - all stacked together, but spaced apart slightly. (To be slightly more accurate, you can imagine they're connected by springs. )

In order for the atom at the very end to move, it has to be hit by the atom behind it. Before that atom can move, it has to be hit by the atom behind *that*. All the way down the line.

This means that the space blow from the space hammer will travel all the way down the line, one atom at a time, at the same speed any other kind of space shockwave space would.

Sound, in fact, is the exact same kind of phenomenon, and travels through materials in the exact same way - the difference is only that sound waves follow the push forward with another pull backwards, shaking the material back and forth instead of just forth.

And so, the push on one end of the rod will travel only as fast as the speed of sound in whatever material the rod is made of. The more rigid the material is - the less slop there is in the lattice of molecular bonds connecting the atoms - the faster it will be. But because the bonds connecting the atoms are made of electromagnetic fields, and disturbances propagate through those no faster than light, even the most perfectly rigid material would have a speed of sound no faster than light.
>>
>>8819247
Yhea. That's the long version
>>
>But because the bonds connecting the atoms are made of electromagnetic fields, and disturbances propagate through those no faster than light, even the most perfectly rigid material would have a speed of sound no faster than light.
Thanks, I thought it was something along these lines.
Also
>and disturbances propagate through those no faster than light
Shouldn't changes in eletromagnetic fields propagate at the speed of light? Wouldn't a perfectly rigid material have speed of sound equal to the speed of light? And what a about an hypothetical material with no lattices in its structure?
>>
>>8819555
Meant to quote >>8819247
>>
>>8819555
The thing about "a hypothetical rigid material not made of smaller components" is that that's not even really a thing that makes sense under known physics.
>>
While what the other people have written so far is no doubt true, the really technically correct answer is that is arrives at the same time.

As soon as the very first particle is hit by the hammer, its gravitational field will experience a wave that propagates at the speed of light and influences all the other particles of the rod it passes. This is at least as long as what LIGO is actually correct.

But yes the traditional answer would be that the impulse travels at the speed of sound.
>>
>the really technically correct answer is that is arrives at the same time
> its gravitational field will experience a wave that propagates at the speed of light and
No.
>>
>>8820842
I second this.
>>
>>8820842
>>8820914
explain?

Or maybe I should clarify myself: It doesnt have to be a gravitational wave.
The particles of the rod dont actually have to touch to pass on their impulse, but only have to get closer, so that the electromagnetic force that one excerts on the other gets stronger, say from particle As electrons on Bs electrons, so that B gets impulse away from A.
You can hopefully agree with me that changes in fields happen at the speed of light, so the very last particle in the rod will, completely regardless of how many particles are between them, experience a blueshift in the electromagnetic field emmitted from particle As electrons, as A is moved towards it by the hammer.
This blueshift will excert a force on that last particle pushing it over the red line.
>>
File: e93.jpg (72KB, 1200x740px) Image search: [Google]
e93.jpg
72KB, 1200x740px
>>8819207

First off, the stick is in a vacuum so its the speed of sound in a vacuum.

Second, space is black so the photon doesnt exist.
>>
File: 1458711756533.jpg (11KB, 213x200px) Image search: [Google]
1458711756533.jpg
11KB, 213x200px
>>8822517
the stick would just fall anyway
>>
>>8819187

anyone who thinks causality is related to the speed of light is fucking retarded.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.